• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Orange Lake- Tell Me About It!

it will probably be West - that is generally what RCI gets and rental places.

my problem with Orange Lake is the light on US192 - that holds for between 5 and 7 minutes - timed it - you are turning left to the WDW so it can be a long wait - heard that it got fixed and it is no longer than any other light on US 192 - but want that verify before I go back.

to get to the MK there are a bunch of ways - probably the easiest is on 429 - toll road - but I still use Black Lake and Sherberth Rd then right to the theme parks - left to AKL/V - black lake is the second traffic light pass 429. (first is publix on the left side, and target on the right side)
Funny that light at Walgreens was like that in Dec but no longer then any other lights in March. We commented on it. I would guess East or West.

it will probably be West - that is generally what RCI gets and rental places.

my problem with Orange Lake is the light on US192 - that holds for between 5 and 7 minutes - timed it - you are turning left to the WDW so it can be a long wait - heard that it got fixed and it is no longer than any other light on US 192 - but want that verify before I go back.

to get to the MK there are a bunch of ways - probably the easiest is on 429 - toll road - but I still use Black Lake and Sherberth Rd then right to the theme parks - left to AKL/V - black lake is the second traffic light pass 429. (first is publix on the left side, and target on the right side)
My husband is a transportation planner. If that light isn't fixed I'll hear allllllll about it :rolleyes::rotfl:.

We are tentatively set on going 06/23 - 06/30. I have to do more research on the resort over the next 50-some odd days.

1. Where is check-in for the West Village?
2. Can you buy a temporary toll pass for 429? After digging, found NC QuickPass works
3. How often do the internal shuttles come around to go to the other villages?

Last edited:
I am DETERMINED to find me a 2 bedroom unit this year. I just dont like the flat units that have a ground level OPEN patio. I prefer a screened balcony on a second level or higher. If I get a West Village unit I hope to get Tennis Villas. :goodvibes

I am DETERMINED to find me a 2 bedroom unit this year. I just dont like the flat units that have a ground level OPEN patio. I prefer a screened balcony on a second level or higher. If I get a West Village unit I hope to get Tennis Villas. :goodvibes
That can be done.

We are tentatively set on going 06/23 - 06/30. I have to do more research on the resort over the next 50-some odd days.

1. Where is check-in for the West Village?
2. Can you buy a temporary toll pass for 429? After digging, found NC QuickPass works
3. How often do the internal shuttles come around to go to the other villages?
Happy researching.

Let's hope DH can fit it into the vacation budget :laughing: pixiedust:
I found that OLR is the same price as WBC from owners. They rent for about $7/1,000 points...give or take. As with renting any timeshare, the more you search the better the pricing can get. For me, a 1BR in West Village was 97,000 points with a free upgrade to a 2BR.

If you can find an Elite member, they get a free upgrade at the time of booking if there is availability. Unlike WBC, they only get the free upgrade within there membership window (60, 45, 30 days). Elite members also get something called PointShield. This gives the owner ability to cancel up to 2 days before arrival. That was a huge benefit for me. He does have a small fee he charges if I have to cancel. They get a special Check-in location with a lounge. I cannot confirm if this passes on to Elite member guests.

I have a few OLR owners I associate with on DISboards, TUG and Redweek. One in particular is my "Go-To Person" for anything regarding OLR (shoutout to greenclan67 :goodvibes). Because our current quotes are a little pricey, I believe DH wants to wait until we are closer to that 60 day mark to make a decision based on price!! :rolleyes: Also going the last 2 weeks of August made a HUGE difference last year and we are hoping for the same this year. Got WBC 2bedroom for just under $600 for the week. Hoping for something within that range for OLR. The other day we missed out on an ebay auction. A 2brm @Sheraton Vistana during one of the weeks in August we will be there for only $499...all in!!! No other fees or charges!! :eek: I couldn't make up my mind, and lost out!!! :faint:

A 2brm @Sheraton Vistana during one of the weeks in August we will be there for only $499...all in!!! No other fees or charges!!
It is crazy at how many Onsite Only people think we are crazy and lying that you can get 2BR resort rooms offsite for these prices. I have been called a liar about it. When I showed one person my receipt, she refused to accept it. Then I showed her the receipts for my two weeks this Summer, she has no longer mentioned it. She is fine paying $2,000-$3,000 for their room. I even showed them my last 2 receipts of $1,200 and $1,250 for BWV and SSR for 7-nights each. She just can't believe that I can get the prices I get.

We still won't know if we can go, but the owner has PointShield that lets him cancel up to 2 days before. He only charges a nominal fee for cancellation and nothing if I just want to bank points with him for future use. I spent a lot of time this weekend trying to find videos and other information about the resort. There are a ton of videos on the rooms (some old and some post renovation). I focused on West Village because that is where we will be staying. Would love to try one of the Signature Collection rooms during a Value season.

1. It looks like West Village has 2 types of rooms: 2-8 unit villas and 9 buildings that are more traditional hotel/motel style.
  2. The villas all have 2 assigned drive up parking spots dedicated to each unit
  3. There are 5 restaurants/coffee shops/snackbars near the front desk/pool area
  4. 3 shops in the front desk area: mini grocery market, golf shop, and the typical resort shop for sunscreen, souvenirs, pool toys etc.
  5. 2 golf courses and a driving range
  6. Activities: Fitness room, Swampy's kids club, arcade, 2 Putt Putt courses, shuffleboard, lake for water sports and rentals, tennis and basketball courts,
  7. Looks like two ponds labelled for fishing, but I am sure if you go to the right place you can fish in most of them at slow times
There are a TON of restaurants right outside the River Island entrance to OL. Miller's Ale House, Applebee's, Bahama Breeze, Texas Roadhouse, and a bunch more. Publix, Target are right there too. Super Walmart is a few miles away.

#2 on busy times you are only allowed one car per and may have to park at clubhouse for overflow.
#3 only one shop, called the Marketplace, they have all those things you mentioned, starbucks, ice cream, gift shop and golf all in one building, about a 5 min walk from check in,
#4 there are 4 golf courses on site. 2, 9 hole and 2, 18 hole
As far as free upgrades, those are available early on, but quickly disappear, why it is important to book early.
There is lots of rest in both directions, out of West Village entrance and to the right as well.

We still won't know if we can go, but the owner has PointShield that lets him cancel up to 2 days before. He only charges a nominal fee for cancellation and nothing if I just want to bank points with him for future use. I spent a lot of time this weekend trying to find videos and other information about the resort. There are a ton of videos on the rooms (some old and some post renovation). I focused on West Village because that is where we will be staying. Would love to try one of the Signature Collection rooms during a Value season.

1. It looks like West Village has 2 types of rooms: 2-8 unit villas and 9 buildings that are more traditional hotel/motel style.
  2. The villas all have 2 assigned drive up parking spots dedicated to each unit
  3. There are 5 restaurants/coffee shops/snackbars near the front desk/pool area
  4. 3 shops in the front desk area: mini grocery market, golf shop, and the typical resort shop for sunscreen, souvenirs, pool toys etc.
  5. 2 golf courses and a driving range
  6. Activities: Fitness room, Swampy's kids club, arcade, 2 Putt Putt courses, shuffleboard, lake for water sports and rentals, tennis and basketball courts,
  7. Looks like two ponds labelled for fishing, but I am sure if you go to the right place you can fish in most of them at slow times
There are a TON of restaurants right outside the River Island entrance to OL. Miller's Ale House, Applebee's, Bahama Breeze, Texas Roadhouse, and a bunch more. Publix, Target are right there too. Super Walmart is a few miles away.

I am NOT a fan of the drive-up parking units since they have an open air patio. I need to be screened in from insects!!!! I won't enjoy my vacation if I don't get to sit out on the balcony with my coffee some mornings or my margarita at night when the kids are in bed. One year we stayed at Regal Palms in the Davenport area. They had an open patio's and I didn't go out there AT ALL the entire time we were there!!!! Not one single time and it did kind of spoil a part of my vacation. The pool area and Lazy River at Regal Palms is VERY nice. But I will NOT return due to the open patios. I do not like that at all.

I am very familiar with the area of Orange Lakes and I am hoping to get into the Tennis villas in West Village. I love that area of Kissimmee. I went onto the Orange Lake website too and it looks like my family will get the most of their vacation in West Village. We can always go over to River Island here and there. But it looks like West Village is where the HAPPENINGS really take place. My DD10 is a HUGE FAN of poolside activities and kids clubs. Fingers Crossed I can score a 2 bedroom Tennis Villas for a decent price. I think a one week stay will also help me decide if I want to buy a timeshare on the resale market. I am considering it. The reason is because OLR is a resort a family can GROW with. When kids are young, West Village is GREAT. But as they mature North, East and River Island are there. And as DH and I become Empty-Nesters, I am sure North and East Village will become more desirable to us. But I am excited at my chances for Orange Lake this year. I am DETERMINED to find a way to get into those Tennis Villas this year!!! :laughing:

It is crazy at how many Onsite Only people think we are crazy and lying that you can get 2BR resort rooms offsite for these prices. I have been called a liar about it. When I showed one person my receipt, she refused to accept it. Then I showed her the receipts for my two weeks this Summer, she has no longer mentioned it. She is fine paying $2,000-$3,000 for their room. I even showed them my last 2 receipts of $1,200 and $1,250 for BWV and SSR for 7-nights each. She just can't believe that I can get the prices I get.

Just saw a 2 bedroom on Ebay at SUMMER BAY for one of my weeks 8/19 - 8/26....$449....UNBELIEVEABLE!!! :scared1: :faint:

I have read through all of the other comments and I didn't see anyone mention that it is a "cashless" resort as well. I didn't care for this system to be honest, but I do understand that some people may like it. You provide a credit card upon check-in and everything is put on your card (restaurants on-site, rentals etc.). At least it was like this when I stayed there about 5 years ago.

I have read through all of the other comments and I didn't see anyone mention that it is a "cashless" resort as well.
Yes, I saw that as well. I don't use cash anyway so it is a non-issue for me. For some, I can see it being an issue.

I have read through all of the other comments and I didn't see anyone mention that it is a "cashless" resort as well. I didn't care for this system to be honest, but I do understand that some people may like it. You provide a credit card upon check-in and everything is put on your card (restaurants on-site, rentals etc.). At least it was like this when I stayed there about 5 years ago.
You can buy a gift card for the resort. You can use your credit card or debit card at all places on site.

You can buy a gift card for the resort. You can use your credit card or debit card at all places on site.

Ok....so "CASHLESS" they do not accept CASH for payments at all. So, if I buy something at the giftshop they will give me a choice of paying with CREDIT...DEBIT or my card on file. Is that how it works? I just want to be sure I can pay without charging the card on file.

Ok....so "CASHLESS" they do not accept CASH for payments at all. So, if I buy something at the giftshop they will give me a choice of paying with CREDIT...DEBIT or my card on file. Is that how it works? I just want to be sure I can pay without charging the card on file.
Yep, that's exactly what you can do.

Wow, if you're only problem with Orange Lake is a somewhat long red light, they're doing pretty good. We were just there and at that light a few times, never noticed it being longer than normal...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter