Orange Lake- Tell Me About It!

Cdn Gal

DIS Veteran
Hi, I just booked a week long stay studio west end at Orange Lake Resort. There will be 2 adults, no kids. Please tell me your tips, secrets, the good, the bad, the ugly etc! Thank you :)

We were just there for the first time for spring break. Had a two bedroom condo in west village. Loved it. The grounds are very nice and well kept. Employees were all very nice and helpful. I have nothing negative to say about it at all. Wish I was back there.

Wow, that's terrific! I have been second guessing it since we booked, and I have been a bit worried. We have a studio in the west section, and was planning to BBQ during the evenings. Did you BBQ at all? I have read that there are many hidden costs and I'm a bit concerned about that as well. What was your experience? Like for instance, did you have to pay for housekeeping or is there a resort charge? Many thanks :)

We did not BBQ. We were on the third floor of a 6 or 8 story building in the Tennis Villas. We did not have housekeeping for the week we were there, you can get it but it is extra. No need really, we had a washer and dryer in our unit. The other extra costs if you choose do them are miniature golf, renting a tube for the lazy river (which you don't need, most people just swim it or walk it), a rock climbing wall, a blow up slide for kids, and if you want to rent anything to use on the lake, such as jet ski's, kayaks, paddle boards, etc. We didn't encounter any hidden costs. We did not have a resort charge. Not sure if it was because we rented from an owner or not. We did not do a sales tour, they ask you to sign up for one when they give you your parking pass, they'll knock the prices down on the rental stuff if you do. We said no and that was it.

Let me caveat by saying I have never stayed there, but am considering it if my WBC 2nd week falls through and I can get the guy that has a unit for my stay at the right price. I have inquired about grills. What I was told is that there are a few charcoal grills scattered throughout the resort. The number of grills is rather small though.

Hi there, I own at OL. Depends how you booked. If through an owner you will not pay a fee. If online you may.
You will have a mini kitchen. You are in the main building of the clubhouse. You will not have a washing machine in your room. But on each floor. And its free. Bigred told you all about the amenities. There are grills on Magnolia drive. First street after security gate on right. Charcoal grills. About 6 of them. Any other questions dont be afraid too ask.

Thank you so much! Yes I understand that we will have a mini kitchen which is fine for us, now do we need to bring charcoal with us or is that provided at the grill? Also what about BBQ tongs etc., do we need to bring those things as well? I'm very excited and relived to hear that the washing machine and dryer does not cost anything. We didn't rent we did an exchange through RCI- this is the first time we have ever used RCI so hoping to the best! Thank you!

You have to buy the charcoal, or bring it with you. You might be able to get tongs and such at front desk I just use my kitchen stuff in my room,

That's terrific! We will definitely bring some with us as well as BBQ cutlery...hmmm probably a lighter too I am thinking. We are bringing down a cooler of meats and cheeses, no vegies and fruits as we cannot bring that across the border. But since we have to pay 30% more for everything down there because of the dollar exchange, we want to bring as much food with us as possible. We will probably go to Costco for vegies etc. Thank you so much!

Not sure how long you are there, but Costco shopping is in bulk. Make sure you can use that much and not waste it. Problem with Costco is you can't walk out with just a few things. Usually need a Uhaul when I go.

We are now spending our second week at Orange Lake. I am excited for a change. After looking at all options out there, this seemed like a best fit. WBC is very booked. There may be openings later as the big renters start to dump inventory because they could not get premium rates. I didn't want to wait for that. We will have a 2BR in West Village. I like that many restaurants are on site, just outside of the property, and that I can still cook when necessary. Time for me to do much more research on this property.

And more has changed in less than 24-hours. We may be putting this entire trip off depending on how DD's tryouts go. If she makes it, they have an entire travel Summer. Its almost every weekend which takes this vacation out of plan.

Last edited:
We are now spending our second week at Orange Lake. I am excited for a change. After looking at all options out there, this seemed like a best fit. WBC is very booked. There may be openings later as the big renters start to dump inventory because they could not get premium rates. I didn't want to wait for that. We will have a 2BR in West Village. I like that many restaurants are on site, just outside of the property, and that I can still cook when necessary. Time for me to do much more research on this property.
Enjoy and happy planning

After going back and forth with a million different choices for this trip, Orange Lake is on our short list for our August trip. Undercovertourist has a two bedroom for $1020 for our 10 nights which is better than I can get Vistana or Bonnet Creek. And right now best price wins because of the previously mentioned horrible exchange rate. We were booked onsite with free dining but we cancelled this morning due to space issues. We can't do one room for 10 days with two teens.

So... the only thing with the Undercovertourist rate is that it doesn't specify where in the resort we will be placed. It just says "two bedroom apartment". We love the look of the resort and the location so we are willing to just see where they put us.

it will probably be West - that is generally what RCI gets and rental places.

my problem with Orange Lake is the light on US192 - that holds for between 5 and 7 minutes - timed it - you are turning left to the WDW so it can be a long wait - heard that it got fixed and it is no longer than any other light on US 192 - but want that verify before I go back.

to get to the MK there are a bunch of ways - probably the easiest is on 429 - toll road - but I still use Black Lake and Sherberth Rd then right to the theme parks - left to AKL/V - black lake is the second traffic light pass 429. (first is publix on the left side, and target on the right side)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter