Orange County Fl may lift mask mandate by June

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't there? If the county mandated masks wouldn't masks be required? This has an impact because WDW couldn't have removed the mask mandate without this happening first. It doesn't mean WDW will, but now they can.

It didn’t matter to Disney whether OC had a mandate or not. They would have had masks anyway. Chapek has made it pretty clear they are following CDC guidance regarding masks and has not really acknowledged local orders impacting that.

Like I said, I don’t think Disney will totally lift their mask mandate simply because OC does. Could they? Sure. If Osceola did too. They would also have to lift theirs for Disney to totally remove masks across property.

Still, even though they could I really don’t think they will. There’s really no solid reason to believe they’ll go against the CDC’s mask guidance at this point, since they have been consistent with it thus far.

Time will tell.

Last edited:
It didn’t matter to Disney whether OC had a mandate or not. They would have had masks anyway. Chapek has made it pretty clear they are following CDC guidance regarding masks and has not really acknowledged local orders impacting that.

Like I said, I don’t think Disney will totally lift their mask mandate simply because OC does. Could they? Sure. If Osceola did too. They would also have to lift theirs for Disney to totally remove masks across property.

Still, even though they could I really don’t think they will. There’s really no solid reason to believe they’ll go against the CDC’s mask guidance at this point, since they have been consistent with it thus far.

Time will tell.
Time will tell and sounds like June might be a great time for things to change. Chapek is a figurehead (mouth piece if you will) - the share holders will dictate when we see the changes and money talks. It could be funny if the CDC decides that the we reach 50% by June and that the optics (science) aren't looking good for mandating something that simply doesn't help...time will tell.

Time will tell and sounds like June might be a great time for things to change. Chapek is a figurehead (mouth piece if you will) - the share holders will dictate when we see the changes and money talks. It could be funny if the CDC decides that the we reach 50% by June and that the optics (science) aren't looking good for mandating something that simply doesn't help...time will tell.

If you're basing this one money then expect to see masks continue to be a thing because 1. Disney doesn't seem to have a problem getting people to the parks and 2. More masks sold = more money

If you're basing this one money then expect to see masks continue to be a thing because 1. Disney doesn't seem to have a problem getting people to the parks and 2. More masks sold = more money

Disney will still make and sell masks beyond the dropping of the mandate. There will still be a number of guests wearing masks well beyond the drop of the mandate. People may take them off more than they would be comfortable doing so now, but people will still wear them.

They don’t have a problem getting 35-40% of their normal capacity. If they increase capacity, masks are going to hurt attendance. They would rather sell tickets, food, and souvenirs than masks.

Will the CM union have to agree to this as well?

Members of the union are going to feel different once vaccinated in general. It isn't the same field as it was last summer.

They don’t have a problem getting 35-40% of their normal capacity. If they increase capacity, masks are going to hurt attendance. They would rather sell tickets, food, and souvenirs than masks.

I agree but also capacity restrictions are hurting them now in regards to dining and shopping. They lose money every-time they turn someone away from a restaurant that normally would have a table for. They are losing money when there are waits to get into stores ( thinking world of disney mainly).

The bigger issue with increasing capacity is they won't be able to easily enforce masks (look at Disney springs to prove why). What will really hurt them is when many other places don't have mask rules and people will choose to vacation elsewhere and continue to wait.

Families that don't go and don't spend thousands more than offset profits from those that choose to buy Disney masks. Upping capacity at the parks is where the profit will be.

Families that don't go and don't spend thousands more than offset profits from those that choose to buy Disney masks. Upping capacity at the parks is where the profit will be.

Correct, and even the majority that are going aren't buying the masks. To be honest most stores around me are now putting masks on deep sale or clearancing them and no new ones have replaced any of them. I think many are treading it careful to not end up with a massive supply of them they can't get rid of.

They can increase capacity and still require masks, it's not an either or proposition.

But what isn't known is where the line is of those that will go with masks or with out. THey could increase capacity but not actually get that many more people (especially people paying for tickets for the APs out there that are the main ones fighting for spots on weekends).

But what isn't known is where the line is of those that will go with masks or with out. THey could increase capacity but not actually get that many more people (especially people paying for tickets for the APs out there that are the main ones fighting for spots on weekends).

That is true, but with how many parks are selling out of reservations I feel like there is very high pent up demand. It's not like they hit 100% capacity normally, a sold out 50% capacity day would feel "normal"

That is true, but with how many parks are selling out of reservations I feel like there is very high pent up demand. It's not like they hit 100% capacity normally, a sold out 50% capacity day would feel "normal"

THis is the last main week for spring break. THings will slowdown a bit for those out of state till memorial day.

There is demand but is it enough to keep it going and how many of them will return, especially once there are more places to go with out masks. By summer there will be tons of places to travel that you won't have to wear a mask and if you do it will only be inside.

THis is the last main week for spring break. THings will slowdown a bit for those out of state till memorial day.

There is demand but is it enough to keep it going and how many of them will return, especially once there are more places to go with out masks. By summer there will be tons of places to travel that you won't have to wear a mask and if you do it will only be inside.

Have you checked the reservation calendar recently? DHS is sold out for the entirety of May with some MK sell outs sprinkled in there. June is roughly the same. There's always tons of places to go in the Summer but Disney is always busy. Being sold out at 35% capacity at Magic Kingdom is like 30-35k people which is more than 50% of an average day from 2019. This is without a significant number of hotels being open.

I would wager the people who aren't going to Disney because of masks is a very very small % of normal guests.

I really don't see WDW doing away with the mask mandate until the country reaches herd immunity, or if the CDC changes their recommendation for masks to be recommended only. I think masks will stick around for at least the early summer, and will give only a few days notice about the change in policy. Keeping the masks will allow them to increase capacity in the park, restaurants, hotels, etc. They already are looking forward to a crazy busy summer at both DL and WDW. Masks are mandated by the state in CA, so you aren't going to see a wildly different policy between the coasts. It is just bad PR.

I myself was very anti-mask at Disney last spring. I swore I wouldn't wear one at Disney, well COVID got seriously out of hand and hundreds of thousands of people have since died in the country. Masks do work when worn correctly. Myself and my husband are fully vaccinated, but our kids are not. The mortality rate for children is virtually obsolete, but they can still have lifelong complications from COVID. If we want to get back to "normal", we need to stick it out a little longer. Also, Orange and Osecola cases are on the rise, and Florida in general. Not the same in CA where levels are back where they were in the early pandemic and the lowest in the country.
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/cor...0210408-okknba66cvcjlpuw5nfijdvgsq-story.htmlhttps://news.yahoo.com/california-h...st-which-way-is-the-us-heading-122629141.html

f we want to get back to "normal", we need to stick it out a little longer. Also, Orange and Osecola cases are on the rise, and Florida in general. Not the same in CA where levels are back where they were in the early pandemic and the lowest in the country.

Ever consider since California is not even open yet, and Florida has been wide open, comparing CA numbers to FL is not apples to apples

Ever consider since California is not even open yet, and Florida has been wide open, comparing CA numbers to FL is not apples to apples

Also the parks are on opposite sides of the country what they do in FL they don't have to do in CA and vice versa. I actually do think disney world will lower mask rules quicker and before CA, also as a way to show its okay to do so.

Technically DL page does not reflect WDW change in maskless outdoor pictures, since the rules in CA are all together stricter.

Yes, you are correct. Testing is abysmal in Florida, and the current positivity rate of 9.5% in FL vs. 1% in CA, shows the true numbers in Florida are much higher than what the numbers say (currently even with the crap testing, FL has an absolute case rate double that of CA and 4x per capita). Also, CA is opening up (not fully opened, "what pandemic" mantra that FL adopted), but indoor dining is back, theme parks are opened, and the state looks to be fully open with a mask mandate in June.

It would be a PR nightmare for Disney for there to be no masks required in FL where case rates/variant transmission is much higher, and fully masked in CA that is in a way better situation. How do you explain that? Disney will follow CDC guidance.. until they say masks are optional, don't count on WDW changing their requirements.

They can increase capacity and still require masks, it's not an either or proposition.
Disney should not increase theme park capacity until ride capacity is increased. The pathways throughout the parks are already a bit crowded, and many Standby lines reach crazy long (physical) lengths.

Data shows that the risk of spreading COVID is much higher when lots of people are crowded indoors, which describes a lot of WDW.

This means that WDW will still need to enforce social distancing in its lines, stores, and restaurants for a while, meaning WDW will not be able to increase ride capacity for a while, meaning WDW theme park capacity should be not increased for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter