Opinion Poll: Should EPCOT secede from Disney World?

Would you advocate EPCOT's independence from Disney World?

• Yes

Votes: 21 7.2%
  • No

Votes: 258 89.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 11 3.8%

• Total voters
The part about buildings being outdated reminds me. I've been seeing reports on the internet about dolphins in The Seas pavilion's aquarium being mistreated due to neglect of maintenance of the aquarium tanks and that there have been online petition movements trying to put an end to it. An EPCOT secession would at least free those dolphins if not upgrade the tanks.
A lot of reports of this type come from zealots and have little to do with the truth. I'd be the first to join in if I ever saw any actual proof.

Personally I avoid threads I feel that way about.
I came in and read, and voted. It's just silly though. Doesn't mean one needs to avoid it, if you want to feel that way about it, then more power to you. Doesn't mean I need to. I wasn't starting an argument. Just stating my opinion. Last I checked that's what forums were for. So just agree to disagree.

I came in and read, and voted. It's just silly though. Doesn't mean one needs to avoid it, if you want to feel that way about it, then more power to you. Doesn't mean I need to. I wasn't starting an argument. Just stating my opinion. Last I checked that's what forums were for. So just agree to disagree.
That makes sense. I thought you were being negative due to the rolling eyes thing. A lot of negativity floating around lately. :)

I think seceding from WDW would be a great idea for the complex, because in order for it to be something really cool -- what it could be -- it needs to get out of the "we demand to be entertained" business. Epcot could be really amazing as a museum -- it's got all the infrastructure it could need for that, to be a real place of education and wonder. Those WS pavillion would be amazing -- if they scienced-up Future World, there's remarkable exhibits that could be used. Just think about that -- a 300-acre museum. I6 would work -- Sea World brings in plenty of people, and it's really just a big zoo with shows. Epcot could easily be much more than that, and if they took away the expectation of rides and of being entertained, they could have a really amazing place. It's the attachment to the idea of a theme park that makes it disappointing to visitors -- if you weren't comparing it to MK, and weren't making it a part of the WDW experience, my guess is there'd be a lot less disappointment in it. The same thing, really, with the other two parks. They suffer in perception because they re always being compared to the MK, even though none of them have the same mission.

Epcot's biggest problem is that because it's part of the WDW, it has to entertain the people who come. Just read these boards -- all you hear about Epcot is that it needs more rides, more "fun" things for kids to do. And while that's a noble goal, trying to be both a museum and a theme park is what causes Epcot to reduce its own possibilities.

I think seceding from WDW would be a great idea for the complex, because in order for it to be something really cool -- what it could be -- it needs to get out of the "we demand to be entertained" business. Epcot could be really amazing as a museum -- it's got all the infrastructure it could need for that, to be a real place of education and wonder. Those WS pavillion would be amazing -- if they scienced-up Future World, there's remarkable exhibits that could be used. Just think about that -- a 300-acre museum. I6 would work -- Sea World brings in plenty of people, and it's really just a big zoo with shows. Epcot could easily be much more than that, and if they took away the expectation of rides and of being entertained, they could have a really amazing place. It's the attachment to the idea of a theme park that makes it disappointing to visitors -- if you weren't comparing it to MK, and weren't making it a part of the WDW experience, my guess is there'd be a lot less disappointment in it. The same thing, really, with the other two parks. They suffer in perception because they re always being compared to the MK, even though none of them have the same mission.

Epcot's biggest problem is that because it's part of the WDW, it has to entertain the people who come. Just read these boards -- all you hear about Epcot is that it needs more rides, more "fun" things for kids to do. And while that's a noble goal, trying to be both a museum and a theme park is what causes Epcot to reduce its own possibilities.

I really like your idea of EPCOT as a museum. It sounds genius.

I really like your idea of EPCOT as a museum. It sounds genius.

I think that an independent Epcot would have to be at least 50% thrill rides plus edutaining "interesting" rides (like Living with the Land), the rest would mostly be an eating and drinking party zone, but with a semi-authentic international world's fair theme instead of a "Bubba Gump's Nascar Margaritaville" flavor like City Walk.

SeaWorld and Busch Gardens Tampa would be the models, in terms of having enough serious content and educational credibility, plus a sufficient number of up-to-date, world-class rides. Not necessarily lose-your-lunch over-the-top thrill rides like Kraken and Montu, but Disney-esque thrill rides that nearly everyone can ride. The world's fair part would also have to remain quite family-oriented and not let the drinking and rowdiness get any more prevalent than it is now.

Most people go to Sea World and Busch Gardens to ride the coasters and see dolphins stand on their tails, not to learn about the life cycle of African tortoises and the diet of manatees. But the educational aspect is the spice that makes those parks really interesting and fun. The "theme" in the "theme park" (to coin a phrase).

Disney is losing sight of that in Epcot because they're obsessed with selling package holidays, timeshare condos, plastic souvenirs, etc. and they can't imagine a theme park as anything else except as an adjunct to those businesses. If Epcot was independent I don't think that the new owners would have any difficulty focusing on it, because they would have to in order to make a go of it.

I enjoyed the original Epcot. It was an amazing educational experience. I was fascinated with the dark rides and the fun way to educate you. But after experiencing it once .. and after growing up and traveling more (and moving to a big city where I had access to museums galor) .. do I really want to ride those rides again?

It was like a whole park full of the Carousel of Progress ... part history lesson .. part "vision" of the future (that quickly gets outdated) with animatronic figures.

I don't blame Disney for "Disney-fying" Epcot. They want the "Disney" fans to come to their other parks. It just makes sense and help spread the crowds away from the MK.
I think the addition of Mission Space and Test Track were great adds .. independently themed

As its concept of a giant museum? I think that ship has sailed. I don't see how they could keep up with the changing technology.

Both Josh Hendy and timadden 73 make good points. One thing I believe everyone would agree, whether EPCOT be independent or not, is that the park should at least always keep Figment. His continual presence would guarantee a family-friendly, traditional EPCOT attraction that would attract plenty of kids and can make their visit to the park delightful and satisfying. Figment is also a Disney character, so that would also keep Disney fans happy (the ones who at least know about him). Even if EPCOT seceded, I don't think it would be difficult to acquire the character rights which would preserve some Disney in the park.

I think that an independent Epcot would have to be at least 50% thrill rides plus edutaining "interesting" rides (like Living with the Land), the rest would mostly be an eating and drinking party zone, but with a semi-authentic international world's fair theme instead of a "Bubba Gump's Nascar Margaritaville" flavor like City Walk.

SeaWorld and Busch Gardens Tampa would be the models, in terms of having enough serious content and educational credibility, plus a sufficient number of up-to-date, world-class rides. Not necessarily lose-your-lunch over-the-top thrill rides like Kraken and Montu, but Disney-esque thrill rides that nearly everyone can ride. The world's fair part would also have to remain quite family-oriented and not let the drinking and rowdiness get any more prevalent than it is now.

Most people go to Sea World and Busch Gardens to ride the coasters and see dolphins stand on their tails, not to learn about the life cycle of African tortoises and the diet of manatees. But the educational aspect is the spice that makes those parks really interesting and fun. The "theme" in the "theme park" (to coin a phrase).

Disney is losing sight of that in Epcot because they're obsessed with selling package holidays, timeshare condos, plastic souvenirs, etc. and they can't imagine a theme park as anything else except as an adjunct to those businesses. If Epcot was independent I don't think that the new owners would have any difficulty focusing on it, because they would have to in order to make a go of it.
This sounds good. My only quibble is comparing Citywalk to WS. I think it's more fair to liken it to Downtown Disney. Plus I like Margaritaville. ;)

Both Josh Hendy and timadden 73 make good points. One thing I believe everyone would agree, whether EPCOT be independent or not, is that the park should at least always keep Figment. His continual presence would guarantee a family-friendly, traditional EPCOT attraction that would attract plenty of kids and can make their visit to the park delightful and satisfying. Figment is also a Disney character, so that would also keep Disney fans happy (the ones who at least know about him). Even if EPCOT seceded, I don't think it would be difficult to acquire the character rights which would preserve some Disney in the park.
There is something that I see now and again, but is left out of Imagination discussions, so maybe someone who knows can clear this up: Supposedly due to the original contracts with Kodak, they co-own the Dreamfinder and Figment as characters? Which would make sense if Disney is planning on replacing Figment with something else?

There is something that I see now and again, but is left out of Imagination discussions, so maybe someone who knows can clear this up: Supposedly due to the original contracts with Kodak, they co-own the Dreamfinder and Figment as characters? Which would make sense if Disney is planning on replacing Figment with something else?
I have never heard this and there were plans to redo imagination a year or two ago so i can't see this being the case.

I guess that I am a little confused as to why they would need/want to secede. I love EPCOT. It is very much "my style". I live in New Orleans so EPCOT, as it stands, is the perfect setup for my family and I. I love to drink and I love to eat. It's literally heaven for me. I do think that it needs updating though. I do wish they would add more countries. I am not sure when the last one was put in but I sure as heck do not remember it unless they were all just put in at the same time. There is so much potential for EPCOT. Maybe it's just the Disney fanatic in me but I can't think of anyone better to bring EPCOT's full potential to realization than Disney. If only they would make it a priority. I have heard so many people say they wished for more/updating/new things that you think that Disney would be on board. They are adding to/updating all 3 of the other parks recently and currently so why not EPCOT? Maybe we need to start a petition or something lol.

I guess that I am a little confused as to why they would need/want to secede. I love EPCOT. It is very much "my style". I live in New Orleans so EPCOT, as it stands, is the perfect setup for my family and I. I love to drink and I love to eat. It's literally heaven for me. I do think that it needs updating though. I do wish they would add more countries. I am not sure when the last one was put in but I sure as heck do not remember it unless they were all just put in at the same time. There is so much potential for EPCOT. Maybe it's just the Disney fanatic in me but I can't think of anyone better to bring EPCOT's full potential to realization than Disney. If only they would make it a priority. I have heard so many people say they wished for more/updating/new things that you think that Disney would be on board. They are adding to/updating all 3 of the other parks recently and currently so why not EPCOT? Maybe we need to start a petition or something lol.

I would like to see either Brazil or New Zealand in World Showcase.

EPCOT wouldn't be as successful if it was a stand alone park not associated with Disney. Is the park neglected? I believe it is not a priority as much as the others... But in no way should it 'secede' from Disney World. EPCOT is what it is bc it is in Disney World.

Interesting. I'm not sure if that's the case. Remember Disney has been doing the comics that feature those characters prominently. I suppose they could work it out, but I'm not sure.

Seems like they could add more entertainment to the culture and technology parts. Really the entirety of Tomorrowland could be transplanted into Epcot. Then have the people mover take people to their chosen land in WS. Throw in a 3 d roller coaster that simulates skiing through the French alps, a family style ride (similar to little mermaid) along the Great Wall in China. Samurai training in Japan. I've only been to Epcot once, but was unimpressed and bored. Seems like a big food court.

If Epcot were to make those changes and secede, it could work as a stand alone. As is, Epcot would shut down in the first year, or be more like a Disney springs type area instead of a "theme park"

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter