Open VMK?!

Sorry for bumping such an old thread, but the Open VMK thing has come a pretty long way since these last posts. Apparently, they got hold of the original VMK code and someone familiar with it is piecing it back together so it functions the same as VMK did. This video shows what they've got so far: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om73xwfR3D8

They also have a new website as well as official forums with daily updates. It seems like they are serious about this project, but a cease and desist from Disney seems likely if they keep going with it.

Sorry for bumping such an old thread, but the Open VMK thing has come a pretty long way since these last posts. Apparently, they got hold of the original VMK code and someone familiar with it is piecing it back together so it functions the same as VMK did. This video shows what they've got so far: EDIT out

They also have a new website as well as official forums with daily updates. It seems like they are serious about this project, but a cease and desist from Disney seems likely if they keep going with it.

OMG! I've been keeping up with this since the first post in this topic, but I gave up a few months ago. But thank you for posting this!

While it is a nice idea, without agreement from Disney I cannot see this going far. Just be cautious with beliefs of reopening without any communication from or involving Disney.

Thought I'd pop in and let everyone know that they're still going full steam with this. Open Beta begins September 6th and it appears anyone who registers will be able to play.

Maybe it won't last long, but if I get to relive VMK for even a day I think I'll be pretty happy. And who knows? Maybe Disney will see just how much people loved VMK and bring it back somehow?

http://www.openvmk.com/relive/

Gosh... it's been a long time... I'll at least try it out for old time's sake.

I'm resurrecting this ancient account that I used to post on this board many years ago when VMK was still alive (fun fact: my last visit was 09-13-2006 at 11:47 PM, almost seven years ago).

I'm so excited for OpenVMK. I started playing VMK in beta, got heartbroken when it closed, and still lurk VMK fansites. Five years later, I'm so proud of the work that the developers have put into OpenVMK, and I can't wait to get playing again. That being said:

OpenVMK will be shut down by Disney. There's no question about it. I'd be surprised if the site wasn't already in Disney's crosshairs now. Come September 6th, I can guarantee they'll get a cease and desist letter from Disney's lawyers, and they'll have no choice but to stop doing what they're doing or get their pants sued off.

This is a shame because the head developer has spents years working on OpenVMK. I contacted him about the possibility of the game being open source, and he said it won't be to prevent private servers. I should try to persuade him otherwise, because I don't think he or anyone else there grasps just how big of deal this is. Making the game open source and only playing with priavte servers would ensure the longevity of the game.

But who am I to speak; it's not my game. In the meantime, I'll be playing from day one... while it lasts.

I'm resurrecting this ancient account that I used to post on this board many years ago when VMK was still alive (fun fact: my last visit was 09-13-2006 at 11:47 PM, almost seven years ago).

I'm so excited for OpenVMK. I started playing VMK in beta, got heartbroken when it closed, and still lurk VMK fansites. Five years later, I'm so proud of the work that the developers have put into OpenVMK, and I can't wait to get playing again. That being said:

OpenVMK will be shut down by Disney. There's no question about it. I'd be surprised if the site wasn't already in Disney's crosshairs now. Come September 6th, I can guarantee they'll get a cease and desist letter from Disney's lawyers, and they'll have no choice but to stop doing what they're doing or get their pants sued off.

This is a shame because the head developer has spents years working on OpenVMK. I contacted him about the possibility of the game being open source, and he said it won't be to prevent private servers. I should try to persuade him otherwise, because I don't think he or anyone else there grasps just how big of deal this is. Making the game open source and only playing with priavte servers would ensure the longevity of the game.

But who am I to speak; it's not my game. In the meantime, I'll be playing from day one... while it lasts.

I hope it at least stays up for a year, but you are most likely right. :smickey:

Okay. I'm confused. :(
Will OpenVmk be open or closed since Disney is intervening? Unfortunately I will not get to play for long because I'm going on vacation on the 10th... if they do open it.

Okay. I'm confused. :(
Will OpenVmk be open or closed since Disney is intervening? Unfortunately I will not get to play for long because I'm going on vacation on the 10th... if they do open it.

My bad, I should clarify: it is my personal opinion that Disney will take action to stop OpenVMK when it does open on September 6th. To the best of my knowledge, Disney has done nothing about OpenVMK so far.

i guess perhaps they don't know about it or realized that the website does promote disney stuff though, so perhaps they will leave it open? But i guess they will say something because Disney did have merchandise for it when the original was open. man i miss it. i wonder why they closed it down. i know they closed it for the new games, but the new games are shutting down too.

Apparently those vmk kids have grown up enough to get someone to actually develop a game. They have no disney backing of course and are prepared if they are shut down. But, it opens tonight. register at openvmk.com slash relive. I havent made enough posts to put in a link. How embarrassing since I have been reading this for Quite some time. LOL
I got totally hooked on vmk with all the tweeners because i was playing with my kids. Met some great adult friends too.:banana::banana:

I haven't gone on the DIS in years, but I really hope openVMK is how it was in the past.
I've missed it a lot. And I'm just now realizing some of the great friendships I've formed on this site and VMK in general.

Hey!
I joined the OVMK, it is working and amazing :)
Not all the features are working atm, but just to see my avatar walking around again was enough for now!

It's amazing!

Ditto, it's just nice that I've been able to go on today. It's so beautiful to relive this.

My daughter was able to get in. Not all the games are working and she hasn't seen the monorail yet. She is very excited though and was able to make a room. She found out about it through Instagram. I really hope Disney sees how popular this game was and continues to be. My daughter is 13, remembers playing as a kid, and finds their other games lame.

I play too although I have been kicked off the server many times. lol.
i too hope Disney see 's how popular it is and keeps it going. I used to play in the parks and had to ride Pirates like 6 times to get the right answers to a quest to get a virtual item. lol.

I still have the Disney pins that Disney gave out in boxes for a price.
lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!