Open VMK?!

pretty sure this is that same group of kids who has fooled everyone how many times now?

I don't doubt they have an essentially working VMK, but it isn't going to go public. Disney isn't exactly the type that let's people use their branding on things.

The source code to VMK was picked up by a few people. Heck quite a few private server source codes were completely created by 16-20 year olds. Does that make them any less knowledgeable to coding? Nope. People are quick to judge. Now even if these people got it up and running, they'd be recieving a letter telling them to quit or be sued. Even though Disney has no intent on bringing VMK back they're still a company and with that they want their IP to be safe.

I got banned after joking that "I tend to lose faith in websites who's TechAdmin talks about iCarly." I read their rules and I broke none. I never even posted. Just that one chat message. He was the only one who didn't find it funny.
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never

It should be noted that the forums are unofficial and Nick even left them because of the drama. I think openVMK is really a big if on what its fate will be. If it can stay small enough Disney might not bother. If it gets big enough they will. I talked to the guy in charge and while he seems to be good on the tech side, he wouldn't say anymore about how he plans on paying for a server than someone on the team is funding it. This isn't very reassuring about how well it works in practice. I know they have it working as a few friends did the alpha.

I know nothing about the developer(s). However, I do know that they are registered through and being hosted on uzrhosting.com on a shared server. I'm guessing the $0.99 per month plan.

Don't put all your stock into this site. Additionally, the artwork is still owned by Disney and they'll be getting a cease and desist letter soon most likely.

Wow Monkey I haven't heard from you in like ages! Anyways, VMK is a chapter in my gaming life that I have closed. I have moved on to bigger and better things, way bigger. I suggest to those that are trying to revive the project do the same. I cannot believe there are those who still dwell on it. Yes VMK was a great game, but it's been many, many years. I would think after all this time they would give up.

I check in once in a while to see if any of my friends are still around, for the most part, this section of the forums are abandoned.

I think that the fact that we are all here talking about another possible, yet unprobable, reincarnation of VMK is a testament to how great the original game was. Although I would like VMK to return as much as the next guy, I think that the game should remain what it is right now, a fond memory. Because even if these kids somehow get OVMK up and running, it will lack the magic that the developers, staff, and friends brought to the original game. And I would hate for anything to tarnish the epic adventure that left us over three years ago.

OpenVMK was shut down. Oatman fails.

today i found:

http://vmk.burbankparanormal.com/

this IS legit.

looked through code.....

idk if it's still in development, if not, im stealing code and doing it myself :)

You are wrong on so many points. :sick:

Jared/Oatman had NOTHING to do with OpenVMK. Nothing at all.

OpenVMK, and this "BurbankParanormal" ARE NOT legitimate. They are illegal clones of VMK and are copyright and trademark infringements on Disney's intellectual property. All they did was take the downloadable version of VMK Revisited, and hack it up. They even credit GPDOT as a developer. Sad, really.

You are wrong on so many points. :sick:

Jared/Oatman had NOTHING to do with OpenVMK. Nothing at all.

OpenVMK, and this "BurbankParanormal" ARE NOT legitimate. They are illegal clones of VMK and are copyright and trademark infringements on Disney's intellectual property. All they did was take the downloadable version of VMK Revisited, and hack it up. They even credit GPDOT as a developer. Sad, really.

My bad, i think Nick was creating it? still failed eitherway.. lol

"BurbankParanormal" is legitimate. why do i say this? It is coded in Java. Therefor, not stolen from gpdot. im not saying the pictures, or some animations werent stolen, im just saying its completely different. And as long as this one stays private, it cant be taken down by Disney (i think). but there is no question that openVMK will be taken down if he continues..

And as long as this one stays private, it cant be taken down by Disney (i think)

Copyright and trademark infringement is illegal no matter where or how you do it, in public or privately. Disney can still sue them for the infringement, and since it's a willful act, they can get treble damages (which means Disney can be awarded triple the amount the law provides as a default punishment).

At least those guys are actually writing their own pages ROFL.

Can you still sue for copyright infringement if the person infringing on the copyright isn't making any money off of it?

I'm about to create a dummy email address to register for that game with to see what it's like.

Yes Disney would be concerned if their property was being misrepresented. It might not be their financial gain, but still be disney's financial loss.

For instance, mouse ears

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter