Only New Things Trip...

purple hippo

Mouseketeer
We are planing a trip at the end of December 2017 into January 2018. This will be our first trip without Disney or Universal – we are only doing all new things this trip! :yay:

We are planning on a trip to Discovery Cove and then we will also have the passes for Sea World and Aquatica. I am planning to also add the Ultimate Upgrade to get the Busch Gardens and free parking added. The plan is to arrive (we are driving from Ontario) in Tampa on Dec 27 and stay until Dec 31 and then head to Orlando and stay from Dec 31 to Jan 5 and drive home.

I need your advice!!!

Can I only add the Ultimate Upgrade when I book my Discovery Cove tickets or can that be added at any time?

Am I better off to book Discovery Cove now ($229/pp) or should I wait until later in the year to see what the Blue Friday specials are? I saw in some previous posts there was debate as to whether people should have waited or not.

I have seen specials for Canadian Residents for Sea World on occasion – has anyone ever seen Discovery Cove Canadian specials?

How necessary are the Quick Queue passes for Sea World the first week of January? Debating on whether we stay at a partner hotel or somewhere else.

I have also read about the Christmas Celebration at Sea World and the shows and the Polar Express, but I understand it finishes on Dec 31. Is it worth leaving Tampa a day early to see it all on Dec 30/31 or will it be too crowded? If we only go for most of the day on the 31st do you think we can see all the Christmas Celebration shows and the Polar Express? I have read earlier trip reports about SeaWorld and Aquatica the week after Christmas (especially Gina’s from a few years ago), but wondering if these parks are still quite the first week of January or do they get busier?

:thanks:

Last edited:
Depending on what you are doing in Tampa, you might want to consider getting a City Pass. This includes a Busch Gardens one day pass plus multiple other attractions. Having one person get the ultimate upgrade is still worth it though for parking alone. Just going to SeaWorld and Aquatica once will be cheaper to get ultimate and the free parking then pay for the parking separately.

I don't know if after the polar express ends at SeaWorld if there is a day or two of down time for the attraction as they switch it back. Not that the ride is really all that amazing as polar express or the other ride. It isn't like Star Tours type motion simulator.

One of the things that Seaworld does well is it's Christmas offering.

Most if not all of the Christmas shows are after 5:00pm. We saw Oh Wondrous Night, Shamu Christmas, Christmas Spectacular, and the Sea Lion Christmas show that one night. It was quite the rush but you can do it.

I'm not sure if I know exactly what you are talking about referring to Polar Express. I don't remember it this past Nov.

Polar Express is gone. 2015 was its last year (2016 was just regular Wild Arctic)

Depending on what you are doing in Tampa, you might want to consider getting a City Pass. This includes a Busch Gardens one day pass plus multiple other attractions. Having one person get the ultimate upgrade is still worth it though for parking alone. Just going to SeaWorld and Aquatica once will be cheaper to get ultimate and the free parking then pay for the parking separately.

That's a great idea! However, I like the flexibility of being able to go back to Busch Gardens a second day if the kids (DS 12 and DD 14 at trip time) want to and I know we wouldn't go to the zoo. I had thought of going to the Florida Aquarium and the Clearwater Aquarium which are also on the pass, but we'll see - I figure it will depend on the weather. I would like to have at least one beach day, and possibly go to the Salvador Dali Museum, and definitely doing the Captain Memo Cruise!

Is it frowned upon to only upgrade one ticket for the free parking if we did go with the city pass or is that ok?

Anyone know how busy BG will be between Christmas and New Years?

Has anyone here ever done the Captain Memo Cruise? I have wanted to do this since the kids were little ones but could never squeeze it in.

One of the things that Seaworld does well is it's Christmas offering.

Most if not all of the Christmas shows are after 5:00pm. We saw Oh Wondrous Night, Shamu Christmas, Christmas Spectacular, and the Sea Lion Christmas show that one night. It was quite the rush but you can do it.

Is there an extra charge for the Christmas shows? Is it an extra ticket or is it included with admission? How busy do you think it would be on New Year's Eve? We've never been to Florida during the holidays...another first! We usually go in the October or early November to go to the HHN or MNNSHP or MVMCP. DH and I are not fans of big crowds which is one of the reasons we have never considered going to the parks during the holidays, but since we are avoiding WDW and US :sad2: we thought we would give Sea World a shot since we have never been and hence started the "only new things trip". :)

Polar Express is gone. 2015 was its last year (2016 was just regular Wild Arctic)

Darn! Thanks for letting me know! I had read about it in previous trip reports and it sounded neat to see, but I guess that is something we missed. Oh well.

Last edited:
Is it frowned upon to only upgrade one ticket for the free parking if we did go with the city pass or is that ok?

Nope. The people collecting your money for parking have no idea who has ultimate and who doesn't. Nor do they care. I had to move our Discovery Cove day due to horrible weather planned. As the operator generated our new passes she even commented that we had one ultimate, probably for the parking.

Is there an extra charge for the Christmas shows? Is it an extra ticket or is it included with admission? How busy do you think it would be on New Year's Eve? We've never been to Florida during the holidays...another first! We usually go in the October or early November to go to the HHN or MNNSHP or MVMCP. DH and I are not fans of big crowds which is one of the reasons we have never considered going to the parks during the holidays, but since we are avoiding WDW and US :sad2: we thought we would give Sea World a shot since we have never been and hence started the "only new things trip". :)

Nope it's part of the park admission. I will say though if you have the means, the preferred seating might be worth it. Especially for the ice skating show and Oh Wondrous Night.
We went to the latest Shamu Christmas show (I think it was 9:55) and was only 1/2 full.

Not sure about their NYE offering. i.e. ticket pricing/crowds/etc

I've never seen any Canadian discounts for Discovery Cove. But if you do end up getting the CityPass, you can buy it at a discounted rate from the Canadian Costco website.

I've read online that DC has a price range for a certain date which is dependent on the remaining supply for that date. Well prior to our trip in Nov 16 (a month out) and for another trip (that was canceled) in 2015 I monitored the prices for a couple of days. I didn't recognize any price modifications. Even dates around what is normally peak times for Orlando based attractions.

Too bad you didn't plan your trip in Dec 2016 as DC had an offer for $219 Dolphin Swim package for 2017 visits.

What i can offer is the possibility of using undercovertourist.com. They had $20 discounts on Dolphin Swim package.

I've read online that DC has a price range for a certain date which is dependent on the remaining supply for that date. Well prior to our trip in Nov 16 (a month out) and for another trip (that was canceled) in 2015 I monitored the prices for a couple of days. I didn't recognize any price modifications. Even dates around what is normally peak times for Orlando based attractions.

Too bad you didn't plan your trip in Dec 2016 as DC had an offer for $219 Dolphin Swim package for 2017 visits.

What i can offer is the possibility of using undercovertourist.com. They had $20 discounts on Dolphin Swim package.

We are actually going to be at DC the first week of Jan 2018, so I'm not sure if that deal ($219 dolphin swim) would have worked for me. I can currently get dolphin swim packages for $229 which is only $10 more, so maybe I should buy now before the price goes up? I've already seen dates earlier in that week go up a bit.

Hi, you can buy the parking pass ala cart. It's about $30 and well worth it. If you can't find it on the DC website, call. Since the Searworld/Aquatica visits are unlimited it can be easier to go for a couple half days, 2 parks in one day etc, and parking adds up quickly. We found this easier than trying to jam everything into one visit. If you're looking for a hotel, The Floridays is great for a family. Highly recommended. The fantastic Publix grocery store and Premium Outlets are right around the corner. This year will mark out 5h trip to DC and we've never found a discount that fits our schedule.

I recommend calling DC the day before you go and asking for the opening time. For us, getting there early, having breakfast and staking out our spot on one of the beaches worked well. Visit the aviary early when the birds are hungriest. Snorkeling is incredible in the Grand Reef. The day goes by quickly as they close early. Pictures are expensive but done very well. I can't say enough good things about the DC/Seaworld/Aquatica package. People who say it outrageously priced are probably not considering the unlimited visits to the sister parks.

Great advice! I never thought about splitting the day in two between the parks, but as you mentioned if I have the free parking pass that would definitely make it worth it. If we did stay somewhere other than a seaworld partner hotel and didn't have the QQ passes then splitting the day might be another good option.

Thanks for mentioning Floridays! I've heard of them but haven't stayed there or have known anyone that stayed there so your recommendation made me give them a look. It looks pretty good and seems pretty economical considering it has two bedrooms and a really nice looking pool. I was looking between staying at a partner hotel with points or renting a place but this seems to be about the same amount of money as renting a place and less hassle.

Have you ever been the first week of January? Just wondering how bust DC is although I understand fro other posts even when it is at or near capacity it doesn't seem overly busy or cramped. Has this been your experience?

I agree DC is a good value when you consider the unlimited trips to AQ and SW which is why this trip is not including any universal or Disney to maximize our package with DC .

Great advice! I never thought about splitting the day in two between the parks, but as you mentioned if I have the free parking pass that would definitely make it worth it. If we did stay somewhere other than a seaworld partner hotel and didn't have the QQ passes then splitting the day might be another good option.

Thanks for mentioning Floridays! I've heard of them but haven't stayed there or have known anyone that stayed there so your recommendation made me give them a look. It looks pretty good and seems pretty economical considering it has two bedrooms and a really nice looking pool. I was looking between staying at a partner hotel with points or renting a place but this seems to be about the same amount of money as renting a place and less hassle.

Have you ever been the first week of January? Just wondering how bust DC is although I understand fro other posts even when it is at or near capacity it doesn't seem overly busy or cramped. Has this been your experience?

I agree DC is a good value when you consider the unlimited trips to AQ and SW which is why this trip is not including any universal or Disney to maximize our package with DC .

We've never been in January but DC limits their daily attendance and has never felt "crowded". There's absolutely no shortage of beech loungers but the umbrella tables in the best spots do fill up quickly. There are small lines in the cafeteria, no lines for drinks/snacks.

My wife and I originally fought over choosing the Floridays. She insisted it would be noisy and/or dirty based on the price. Luckily she was wrong. The 2 Sheraton Vistana resorts are also wonderful but the deals there seem to have dried up. In the end we decided the Floridays was almost as nice and not as daunting in size. We enjoyed feeding the ducks and turtles at the Floridays. Canadians and Europeans seem to prefer these condo style resorts. No complaints here and no offense to my fellow Americans.

We've used QQ at Disney but not Seaworld. We don't do the bigger rides (maybe this year) so lines haven't been an issue.

One more tip, if you are overwhelmed with the DC experience and feel the need to return, ask about an "in-park return" while you are still at the park. This is a return visit the same week (w/o dolphin swim) for about $99-129. This is the only multi-day option. We could easily go 3 times in one week if that was an option.

I guess it's obvious that we're partial to the DC/Floridays combination and are excited about our upcoming visit in May!

I don't remember reading this, but are you traveling with kids?

The Holiday Inn Resort - Water park is a decent option for families. (They are a SW/DC partner hotel). Best of all it is very inexpensive.
We went during Thanksgiving week this past year (checked in Tues Night, check out Sun morn). It was $335 for 5 nights in a 2 room suite.

I don't remember reading this, but are you traveling with kids?

The Holiday Inn Resort - Water park is a decent option for families. (They are a SW/DC partner hotel). Best of all it is very inexpensive.
We went during Thanksgiving week this past year (checked in Tues Night, check out Sun morn). It was $335 for 5 nights in a 2 room suite.

Yes we are travelling with DD 14 and DS 12 when we go. This was actually one of the first hotels I looked at now that it's been renovated. You must have had an amazing rate because for a 2 room suite when we are going is $1180 for 6 nights in a two room suite. This could be because it's just after the holidays and therefore peak pricing? Plus I had also read on the boards that the slides are for 12 and under or something like that and that my DD or the adults wouldn't be able to go on them, and the kids aren't allowed in the "adult" pool. Just seemed like too many rules and confusing benefits for that price. If they were both younger that might make a difference but not for that price. Thanks though!!

Yes we are travelling with DD 14 and DS 12 when we go. This was actually one of the first hotels I looked at now that it's been renovated. You must have had an amazing rate because for a 2 room suite when we are going is $1180 for 6 nights in a two room suite. This could be because it's just after the holidays and therefore peak pricing? Plus I had also read on the boards that the slides are for 12 and under or something like that and that my DD or the adults wouldn't be able to go on them, and the kids aren't allowed in the "adult" pool. Just seemed like too many rules and confusing benefits for that price. If they were both younger that might make a difference but not for that price. Thanks though!!

Hmm, it looks as if the Holiday Inn Resort - Waterpark is becoming an official Hotel Partner in Summer 2017. I tried looking at the prices on the Discovery Cove website but it didn't show up.
THis past Thanksgiving we booked it and it was a Partner Hotel (not "Official Partner"). They had a 3rd or 5th night free deal.

As far as the pool is concerned, maybe the review were talking about the other pool. The resort has 2 areas both with pools and slides. We stayed in the building adjacent to the lobby, easy access to the larger pool area.

There were kids in the pool, I didn't see an "adult" area. Also older kids on the slides including myself. I would check back in a few months via DC's website and see what prices look like.

I apologize for not reading all the posts but you could consider buying one platinum pass that would include admission to BG, SW, and AQ plus preferred parking and other discounts. Also there is preferred seating at some of the shows and ride again privileges on some of the coasters. I love the reserved seating for the shows. You get discounts at DC with any AP. The Blue Friday deals are great. Last year it was buy one get one 50% off tickets at SW but nothing for AQ or BG. It's not a guarantee but they always let my husband sit with me in reserved even though he just has a fun card. I'm not sure if it would work for a family. If not, they open all reserved seating at SeaWorld except for the Shamu shows after the shows start. I can't speak for the time you're going but at Thanksgiving it was ridiculous but the following week was slow.

https://seaworldparks.com/en/seawor...-passes/rewards-and-benefits?from=Top_Callout
https://seaworldparks.com/en/seaworld-orlando/book-online/fun-card-and-annual-pass/annual-pass

Good luck

I apologize for not reading all the posts but you could consider buying one platinum pass that would include admission to BG, SW, and AQ plus preferred parking and other discounts. Also there is preferred seating at some of the shows and ride again privileges on some of the coasters. I love the reserved seating for the shows. You get discounts at DC with any AP. The Blue Friday deals are great. Last year it was buy one get one 50% off tickets at SW but nothing for AQ or BG. It's not a guarantee but they always let my husband sit with me in reserved even though he just has a fun card. I'm not sure if it would work for a family. If not, they open all reserved seating at SeaWorld except for the Shamu shows after the shows start. I can't speak for the time you're going but at Thanksgiving it was ridiculous but the following week was slow.

https://seaworldparks.com/en/seawor...-passes/rewards-and-benefits?from=Top_Callout
https://seaworldparks.com/en/seaworld-orlando/book-online/fun-card-and-annual-pass/annual-pass

Good luck

Thanks for the suggestion. I think rather than buying our DC passes now, I am going to wait until Blue Friday to see what the deals are and hope that the few dates we have to go to Discovery Cove will still be available. I hadn't considered an AP before only because we would only be there for two weeks and all the parks seem to be included, but if one AP can get good enough discounts for all four of our DC tickets which would include all the parks then it might be something to keep in mind. Can I buy multiple tickets with one AP or would each of us need an AP? Would it still include all the benefits of a regularly purchased DC pass (AQ, SW and then add on for BG)? How much is the discount for DC?

Also if you add the Ultimate upgrade to a DC package, does if also give you unlimited visits over 14 days (the same as SW and AQ) or is it only a one time visit?

Wow, I've never been to DC myself and didn't realize that unlimited admission those other parks was a perk. If you're only going for the one vacation the DC plus BG would be cheaper than APs plus paying extra for DC. The APs give extra 10% off food and merch at the parks. The DC price with AP is usually $169 plus extra for dolphin experience. The platinum AP gives free seating in reserved for shows at SW and BG plus some ride again on coasters but if you have two weeks you can ride plenty of times without needing that upgrade. If you're at SW at park close you can often ride some of the coasters multiple times without waiting while everyone is at the last Shamu show. If there's no one in line or the coaster is not full you just politely ask if you can ride again. You may have to change rows but it's better than walking all the way back around the lines. Last year I was at SW the Sunday after Thanksgiving and rode Mako 17 times in about two hours just before park closing while everyone was at the Christmas shows.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter