One time use points

justme0729

DIS Veteran
I purchased 19 one time use points for a studio stay at BLT. I might need to cancel this reservation. If I cancel, Will these points go into my account so I can use them online the morning of 11 month window to book an Aulani reservation within the same use year? Aulani is my home resort and I want to use the 19 cancelled for that reservation if possible

Or, I have a GFV studio reservation booked in the same year or could apply to?

Last edited:
OTUP can only be utilized on reservations made in the 7 month window. You can not access them online only MS can apply them to a reservation.

As long as your VGF reservation is scheduled In the same UY as the BLT studio, then when you call MS they will swap those for you.

OTU points expire at the end of the UY in which there used to book. As already mentioned, can not be used at 11 months.

Can you purchase one time use points instead of using points from next year's allotment?

Can you purchase one time use points instead of using points from next year's allotment?
Yes I have had no problem purchasing even with current use year points available. Basically because I want to bank my points for 11 month priority in the next use year. The have never given me an ounce of a problem.

As long as you are at the 7 month mark, you are eligible to purchase OTU points, regardless of the status in your account. When they first came about, that was not the case. But, now, if you want to pay for them, they will sell them to you!

Many people do it at 7 months to allow them to bank points for future home resort nights.

Can you purchase OTU points and then have them applied to an existing reservation that was made after the 7 month mark?

Can you purchase OTU points and then have them applied to an existing reservation that was made after the 7 month mark?
That depends on the CM that helps you out. The technical rule is the OTUP can only be purchased when making a reservation and applied to that reservation. However, OTUP don’t disappear when you cancel a reservation and can be reallocated to any 7 month reservation.

I have heard of people booking a dummy reservation with OTU, canceling it, and then calling MS back to have the points used.

Now, I wonder if MS would allow you to do it in one call.

I have heard of people booking a dummy reservation with OTU, canceling it, and then calling MS back to have the points used.

You can’t in one call I was told no this last time booking, but easy enough for two calls. But the time before I had someone just let me buy and assign them to an existing without the dummy.

You can’t in one call I was told no this last time booking, but easy enough for two calls. But the time before I had someone just let me buy and assign them to an existing without the dummy.

Good to know. You would think they would just let you do what you did in that one call all the time, since it would seem easier than forcing members to call in twice,

That depends on the CM that helps you out. The technical rule is the OTUP can only be purchased when making a reservation and applied to that reservation. However, OTUP don’t disappear when you cancel a reservation and can be reallocated to any 7 month reservation.

Ok that does make it a bit more risky to use as you can technically only apply to a reservation at the time of purchase. Given the pressure on the 7 month bookings by the time you call ME and purchase the points there may not be any availability left at the resort, especially if you are trying for a studio.

Yes I guess you could do this as a work around. You could make the reservation with your points online then call in to purchase points and then cancel the booking online as the CM is checking for availability to apply the OTU points against. That would be risky and sounds like a lot of work to me 😀

Ok that does make it a bit more risky to use as you can technically only apply to a reservation at the time of purchase. Given the pressure on the 7 month bookings by the time you call ME and purchase the points there may not be any availability left at the resort, especially if you are trying for a studio.

Yes I guess you could do this as a work around. You could make the reservation with your points online then call in to purchase points and then cancel the booking online as the CM is checking for availability to apply the OTU points against. That would be risky and sounds like a lot of work to me 😀

You don’t have to wait to use it with a real one. Call and book a dummy reservation for before your 7 month window. Buy the points then.

The next day, cancel online. When your 7 month window opens, book your room with your own points, Then call in and ask them to apply the OTU you have in your account. No risk at all, unless you have to borrow.

You don’t have to wait to use it with a real one. Call and book a dummy reservation for before your 7 month window. Buy the points then.

The next day, cancel online. When your 7 month window opens, book your room with your own points, Then call in and ask them to apply the OTU you have in your account. No risk at all, unless you have to borrow.

Ahh!!! I get it now. Great tip!!!

My 7 month booking day is approaching for a Sept 2020 trip - I need to purchase 2 OTU points. Can I book a stay online at 8am using my available points then call MS at 9am to purchase the OTU points and extend the current reservation?

My 7 month booking day is approaching for a Sept 2020 trip - I need to purchase 2 OTU points. Can I book a stay online at 8am using my available points then call MS at 9am to purchase the OTU points and extend the current reservation?
Yes

Can OTUP be used for a waitlist? I need a few points for one more night I want.

What you can do is book a dummy reservation and buy OTU points for that, Then cancel it and the OTU points will be in your account for the wait list,

The drawback is that if it doesn’t fill, you could be out the points as they expire the UY in which the Trip is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!