One Family, One Year - An AP finale & June 2010 PTR! - 7/6 TR STARTED!!!

Great update... love all your Egyptian goodies! The shirts are very pretty, as well as the scarves.

A security guard with the tour group? That's a bit daunting! :eek: I can see why you decided to wait to take the boys. So, did DH take students this time, or was it just him? Did he take any pictures while he was there?

The blankets for Project Linus turned out adorable!!!

Now on to the souvenirs...;)

Coveting the scarves and jewelry -- too cool! I love funky stuff like that!

The hieroglyphs with the boys' names are so neat! I bet they will look fabulous framed.

That Lego game! :lovestruc Oh, how I wish I could find one of those here in the states...I may have to head over to eBay and see if there are any there.

And last, but certainly not least, I had to pick myself up off the floor when I saw the price DH paid for that amount of saffron!!! :faint: That's practically worth the price of the trip in and of itself. :laughing: Out of curiosity, what are the customs regulations about bringing spices into the country?

What a wonderful update! How amazing that your DH is able to take students all over the world like that...very cool! Your gifts from Egypt are exquisite! The blankets you made are just precious! You will LOVE Narcoosees, we ate there last summer and LOVED it, the service and food were outstanding! The boys also went to the Sandcastle Kids Club and really liked it there too! Good choices:thumbsup2 You are such a fun family to read about, thanks so much for sharing!!:goodvibes

A security guard with the tour group? That's a bit daunting! :eek: I can see why you decided to wait to take the boys. So, did DH take students this time, or was it just him? Did he take any pictures while he was there?

Yeah, it was strange, but apparently that is the government rule for foreign travel groups. Not sure why. He did take students, and parents. the group was about 20 people. He is NOT a photographer. He didn't take a camera, he had his cell phone but not sure if he used it there... He will get photos from kids, and when he does (they always give/send him some) I will share a few... they rode camels! We rode elephants in Thailand, but it was NOT the same he said! :rotfl:

The blankets for Project Linus turned out adorable!!!

Thanks! We had fun making them.

Now on to the souvenirs...;)

Coveting the scarves and jewelry -- too cool! I love funky stuff like that!

The hieroglyphs with the boys' names are so neat! I bet they will look fabulous framed.

That Lego game! :lovestruc Oh, how I wish I could find one of those here in the states...I may have to head over to eBay and see if there are any there.

Yes, you should check around, I bet they are available.... it is actually a game. I don't know how to play it yet, DS7 just put it together today... We have a lego chess set, which he loves! Castle lego pieces. Very cool... I don't know what the game is exactly, but we will probably try to play next weekend.

And last, but certainly not least, I had to pick myself up off the floor when I saw the price DH paid for that amount of saffron!!! :faint: That's practically worth the price of the trip in and of itself. :laughing: Out of curiosity, what are the customs regulations about bringing spices into the country?

You know, it is a very good question... I just asked him ... he said "I have no idea" :rotfl2: Meaning I don't think he thought to ask, and he didn't offer the information, rather, they only ask about perishable foods (meat, cheese, fruit) and food items not packaged properly sealed, etc. he said the tour guide didn't say it would be a problem to bring these items back, and they are pretty good at making this information clear. Lots of the touring adults bought spices and essence oils, so I suspect that it was permitted. If it were not, there would have been more specific information posted all over the airport. Spices and teas, wouldn't normally be prohibited. Though they were not in sealed packages, per se, so if Customs had opened his bag they may not have allowed him to keep them because it was not in presealed packages. Not sure. I think the tour guide would have said something, about it, if it were a problem. I have never seen THAT much saffron before, either. It's crazy!

Great update... love all your Egyptian goodies! The shirts are very pretty, as well as the scarves.

Thanks, Laura!!! I am excited to try everything out. I really like the red one, it will be perfect as a coverup I am thinking...

Are you getting excited for summer??!! :goodvibes

Egyptstuff009.jpg

Egyptstuff010.jpg

Egyptstuff019.jpg

All of these are awesome! What a great gift-giver he is!

I will share a few... they rode camels! We rode elephants in Thailand, but it was NOT the same he said! :rotfl:

COOL!!!! Now, I am really jealous! I would love to ride a camel in Egypt! What an experience!

Yes, you should check around, I bet they are available.... it is actually a game. I don't know how to play it yet, DS7 just put it together today... We have a lego chess set, which he loves! Castle lego pieces. Very cool... I don't know what the game is exactly, but we will probably try to play next weekend.

Are the instructions in English or Arabic? If they are in Arabic, you may have to make up your own rules! :lmao:

You know, it is a very good question... I just asked him ... he said "I have no idea" :rotfl2: Meaning I don't think he thought to ask, and he didn't offer the information, rather, they only ask about perishable foods (meat, cheese, fruit) and food items not packaged properly sealed, etc. he said the tour guide didn't say it would be a problem to bring these items back, and they are pretty good at making this information clear. Lots of the touring adults bought spices and essence oils, so I suspect that it was permitted. If it were not, there would have been more specific information posted all over the airport. Spices and teas, wouldn't normally be prohibited. Though they were not in sealed packages, per se, so if Customs had opened his bag they may not have allowed him to keep them because it was not in presealed packages. Not sure. I think the tour guide would have said something, about it, if it were a problem. I have never seen THAT much saffron before, either. It's crazy!

Yeah, I imagine the tour guide would have made that clear if it was a no-no. I was just curious since I have never really heard anything about bringing in spices -- I knew all the perishable food rules and such, but never even thought about spices.

COOL!!!! Now, I am really jealous! I would love to ride a camel in Egypt! What an experience!

Are the instructions in English or Arabic? If they are in Arabic, you may have to make up your own rules! :lmao:

Yeah, I imagine the tour guide would have made that clear if it was a no-no. I was just curious since I have never really heard anything about bringing in spices -- I knew all the perishable food rules and such, but never even thought about spices.

Well it is funny that you mentioned it, because frankly it was exactly what I asked him when he pulled this out of his luggage! He had bought three of the saffron packets (for us and gifts) as well as curry and other "mixed" rubs for meat.... my DBIL is a big chef-type, so these were right up his alley.. but the $ right? I couldn't believe it... apparently there were vendors selling essences out of carts, these were from the oasis plantings that were inland... flower oils, fruit and vegetables... herbs... all used in making parfumes... Can you imagine? A real OASIS. Gee, and all this time I thought that was Walt Disney World... :rolleyes: Their tour took them up the nile, so they stopped in a Nubian village (which is where the jewelry is from).

Regarding the lego, it is pretty cool...but I have to go check those directions!!! :goodvibes there is english and arabic on the box ( along with German, French and Spanish!) so hopefully that is what the directions will say! :laughing:

What a wonderful update! How amazing that your DH is able to take students all over the world like that...very cool! Your gifts from Egypt are exquisite!

Thanks! It is a neat way for us to travel and for us to travel with our children. We couldn't afford to otherwise, but we have come to really enjoy it. Italy last year was so much fun, I can't wait to go back again next year!

The blankets you made are just precious! You will LOVE Narcoosees, we ate there last summer and LOVED it, the service and food were outstanding! The boys also went to the Sandcastle Kids Club and really liked it there too! Good choices:thumbsup2 You are such a fun family to read about, thanks so much for sharing!!:goodvibes

Thanks so much! I have to say I enjoy reading about you and yours, too!!! I am glad the sandcastle club was nice, I know my boys loved Simbas and the neverland club... I remember your TR that you went to Narcoosees! I am looking forward to it. I don't think we will use the DDP for this, just pay OOP with our TIW card. Just get apps and wine! That will be a perfect Summer meal for us. The kids will get regular dinner.

All of these are awesome! What a great gift-giver he is!

Thanks MeMom! Yes, he is, he does hunt up some good things! I had a bangle which I already owned which matched the necklaces which are brown and white perfectly!! So it as fun that he could remember that! :laughing: He did have a few other women (moms we have traveled with and whom I know) along on these shopping excursions, so there may have been some guidance afoot... :rotfl: BUT regardless, he picked them for me :lovestruc

Can you imagine? A real OASIS. Gee, and all this time I thought that was Walt Disney World... :rolleyes: Their tour took them up the nile, so they stopped in a Nubian village (which is where the jewelry is from).

It sounds like something out of an adventure story! :lovestruc

Regarding the lego, it is pretty cool...but I have to go check those directions!!! :goodvibes there is english and arabic on the box ( along with German, French and Spanish!) so hopefully that is what the directions will say! :laughing:

Fingers crossed! :laughing:

I looked up the game on eBay -- a few out there from England, but the shipping -- oh my! I will just enjoy hearing about it from you guys!

:headache: My subscriptions haven't been working right. :headache: I was just thinking to myself, I wonder why Happy hasn't updated and of course you have! What great souvenirs! Your DH is a good shopper. Seriously, good shopper, Disney lover... you've got yourself a keeper! ;)

What's the countdown at now? 50 something days?

Can't wait for another HD adventure!

Okay, my Sia Italiano friend, I am reading a book where the main character comes from an Italian family, and she and her grandmother drink limoncello. Have you had it? Is it yummy? I looked it up on Wikipedia, and it sounds right up my alley. I am making lasagna this week, and thought, "Hmm, maybe I should get some for Charles and me."

Okay, my Sia Italiano friend, I am reading a book where the main character comes from an Italian family, and she and her grandmother drink limoncello. Have you had it? Is it yummy? I looked it up on Wikipedia, and it sounds right up my alley. I am making lasagna this week, and thought, "Hmm, maybe I should get some for Charles and me."

Ooh! ooh! :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:
limoncello ...

let me do that again...

ooh! ooh! :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

If you like those ramon fizzes I shared over christmas (with the lemonade?) YOU will love limoncello... you can mix it with vodka and ice and simple syrup and blend.... practically a grey goose slushie... practically. AND it makes super lemon drops. AND I have a cake recipe... AND with vanilla icecream... I know I know (sounds gross) BUT not at all!

Okay. That was really exciting. I am tired now. :lmao:

What book??!!

It sounds like something out of an adventure story! :lovestruc

Someone sent DH a few photos -- but they are hard copies, it was funny seeing him in front of the great pyramids! He looks like he was added to the picture!! :laughing: Okay, so I now have to ask him where did you REALLY go for spring break??!! :rotfl:

Oh, and about the game, I doubt we will ever play -- Griff just wants to play WITH it... :laughing: I heard him mumbling something about his Indiana Jones legos.... and the temple of doom.. :rotfl: Thanks to DHS, I guess he has a storyline!

:headache: My subscriptions haven't been working right. :headache: I was just thinking to myself, I wonder why Happy hasn't updated and of course you have! What great souvenirs! Your DH is a good shopper. Seriously, good shopper, Disney lover... you've got yourself a keeper! ;)

What's the countdown at now? 50 something days?

Can't wait for another HD adventure!

Oh no worries! I was just thinking to myself, where is that Christine??!! Mostly because I know you have some fall ADRs to plan!!! YAY!!! :yay: I have been a little slow updating I must confess! BUT there is a lot going on in the background! Yeah, he is a good shopper, thank goodness.... Disney deal scammer is more like it! I beat the Disney system, is more like it... consider the challenge to get the best deal for his dollar at Disney is his only real reason for the trips!!! :rotfl: OH okay, maybe not entirely... lobster rolls, california grill, space mountain, RRC, and Everest. Oh. And those damn jalepeno pretzels... :rotfl2: That is the true story!!! :rolleyes: BUT I am not complaining!!!

Great souvenirs from Egypt!! Sounds like a real adventure... I can understand why you would want to check things out before taking the kids.

Do we get to see the new patio? :confused3

The blankets look great too!! :thumbsup2

Okay, my Sia Italiano friend, I am reading a book where the main character comes from an Italian family, and she and her grandmother drink limoncello. Have you had it? Is it yummy?

Ooh! ooh! :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:
limoncello ...

let me do that again...

ooh! ooh! :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

If you like those ramon fizzes I shared over christmas (with the lemonade?) YOU will love limoncello... you can mix it with vodka and ice and simple syrup and blend.... practically a grey goose slushie... practically. AND it makes super lemon drops. AND I have a cake recipe... AND with vanilla icecream... I know I know (sounds gross) BUT not at all!

Okay. That was really exciting. I am tired now. :lmao:

What book??!!

True story. I am sitting here DIS'ing... sipping limoncello! You MUST try it Miss Jackie. It is strong by itself- it's vodka that has been aged with lemon peel, essentially. One of my favorite summer drinks is a shot of limoncello with prosecco (sparkling white wine). I keep it in the freezer and it is a delightful after dinner drink. Try it!

BTW you can get a shot of limoncello in the Italy pavilion in Epcot. Ironically they are stricter about this than the wine and do much more "carding" for limoncello.

Happy- please share your limoncello recipes! :worship:

Hahahahah I LOVE limoncello too!! I always have a bottle in my freezer!! I will have to try that with some prosecco Christine! Wow we are all just jumping from thread to thread enabling along the way!!! :rotfl2:

Tracy

True story. I am sitting here DIS'ing... sipping limoncello! You MUST try it Miss Jackie. It is strong by itself- it's vodka that has been aged with lemon peel, essentially. One of my favorite summer drinks is a shot of limoncello with prosecco (sparkling white wine). I keep it in the freezer and it is a delightful after dinner drink. Try it!

BTW you can get a shot of limoncello in the Italy pavilion in Epcot. Ironically they are stricter about this than the wine and do much more "carding" for limoncello.

Happy- please share your limoncello recipes! :worship:

OKAY. Here is one that is my favorite, I discovered it a few years ago..
Really, limoncello on icecream is my favorite... I know it sounds weird... THAT and slushies!

Limoncello cake

2 eggs
1 cup plain yogurt (Greek yogurt is best)
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
zest of 1 lemon
5 Tbsp limoncello liqueur
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
whisk together the eggs, yogurt, sugar, oil, lemon zest and 3 Tbsp limoncello. In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones and mix with a rubber spatula. Do not overmix should all be moistened together, don't use a mixer!

Spray an 8-inch cake pan with cooking spray and pour the batter in. Bake close to 35 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean and the top of the cake is just turning golden. Cool the cake in the pan for 2 minutes, use a knife to gently separate the cake from the edges of the pan, then pop out the cake and put it on a rack. (I have never used a small bundt pan, but a friend of mine did, and it was very cute! )

While the cake is cooling, mix the powdered sugar with the remaining limoncello in a small bowl and stir until smooth. Spoon this glaze over the warm cake and spread with the back of the spoon. The glaze will set in just a few minutes. It is messy, but once the glaze is on, carefully transfer to another plate. This is a really simple cake, nothing fancy, but a really nice flavor.

Hahahahah I LOVE limoncello too!! I always have a bottle in my freezer!! I will have to try that with some prosecco Christine! Wow we are all just jumping from thread to thread enabling along the way!!! :rotfl2:

Tracy

IN the freezer, I love it!! :lmao: Yeah, we have some too... freezer is full right now, but come summer... :thumbsup2 I never get past having it in mixed drinks, or as an apertif. Which is how I am used to it... I just love all the lemon candy and such they sell in Capri, on that coat in Italy, Amalfi, I think it is, and boy the lemons and limoncello EVERYTHING, is EVERYwhere!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter