OKW vs SSR

closetmickey

DIS Veteran
We are a party of 4 (myself and 3 teenage dds) staying one night pre-cruise to see Drawn to Life. We will not have a car. I am looking to stay at OKW or SSR and taking the boat to DS for the show. Which would you recommend? I am leaning toward SSR as you are able to book preferred hoping that will get me near to the boat dock. But there is only a 1 bedroom available and its about $200 more than the deluxe studio available at OKW. How difficult will it be to get to the boat at OKW? Seems like we would have to allow a lot of time to factor in an internal bus ride to the boat dock and then wait for the next boat to DS. We will be flying in late afternoon so our time will be limited. I know Uber would be fastest but I love the boat and a little longer time on the water from OKW is not minded. :) Thank you!

edited: also, is there a thread for OKW?

With 3 teen age kids you'll definitely need the 1 BR. A studio at OKW has only two queen size beds.

I would go with SSR since the rooms are new and you will be able to walk to the boat.
Is the boat dock walkable from basically all of SSR but not from OKW? It looked that way from the maps but it is hard to tell for sure…

Is the boat dock walkable from basically all of SSR but not from OKW? It looked that way from the maps but it is hard to tell for sure…
The boat dock at OKW is up at the lobby/entrance to the resort, so it's a bit of a walk from the furthest buildings. The boat dock at SSR is a little more centered in the resort, but because SSR is adjacent to DS, there are actually buildings at SSR that are closer to DS than the SSR boat dock is to DS.

When are you going? Currently the boat drops you off at the Marketplace end of DS. From there you have to walk through all of DS to get to the show. Yes, it can be a nice stroll, but be prepared that on a weekend night you will be fighting crowds.

I would do OKW because the room is larger. You can hop on the first bus that comes by because all busses stop at HH before leaving. Then you just walk thru the open air courtyard to the boat dock. You will be at the dock 10 minutes from leaving your room. I would ask for near transportation so that your room is near a bus stop. The boats arrive every 20 minutes and it is a nice scenic ride. We are staying both OKW and SSR early Dec and doing Drawn to Life as well. Enjoy.

The furthest walk at OKW to the dock is about 10 minutes. But you can hop on any bus and it will stop at the HH. But the bus could take longer than the walk. For one night I would probably do OKW.

I would go for OKW for the following reasons
  • bigger room
  • two beds as opposed to a big comfy bed and potentially uncomfortable sofa beds
  • cheaper
  • boat drops you off and picks you up closer to the theatre

I would go for OKW for the following reasons
  • bigger room
  • two beds as opposed to a big comfy bed and potentially uncomfortable sofa beds
  • cheaper
  • boat drops you off and picks you up closer to the theatre
we just came back from OKW.
Right now there is only one dock open at Disney Springs. It’s the one closest to Marketplace (near the Christmas Shop) and guests have to walk thru a backstage walkway to an area near the Toy Store to enter Disney Springs. I
Security involves walking past a Security CM with a dog.

Actually SSR has the murphy's. The only one with the "uncomfortable sofa beds is the living room of OKW.
I haven’t slept on the Murphy beds, but my family has had multiple people with us sleep on the sofa bed in the living room at OKW. The original soda beds were uncomfortable, but all of our guests have found the current ones very comfortable. So, not everyone dislikes them.

I haven’t slept on the Murphy beds, but my family has had multiple people with us sleep on the sofa bed in the living room at OKW. The original soda beds were uncomfortable, but all of our guests have found the current ones very comfortable. So, not everyone dislikes them.
Trust me, the Murphy's are much better as they havd total area support.

Is the walkeay between OKW and SSR open so that I could just walk to DTD from OKW if I wanted?

Thank you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter