OKW - Problems?

Ian.Whiteley

Mouseketeer
I've just read a report on OKW on another board that was very disappointing. Apparantly, housekeeping was poor with a dirty bathroom floor and threadbare towels and worn out equipment. The reviewers final comment of OKW being 'low budget' DVC was worrying as I'm going there in 5 weeks to stay in a 2BR. Our last visit there 3 years ago was great.
Does anyone have any recent experience of OKW? Is this just an isolated incedent?:confused:

Hi Ian,

I'm going to try and be very diplomatic here - was it on the US board that you read this?

IMHO, I really believe that the Americans have far higher expectations of service than we Brits do. I know coming up to our trip to BCV I read many things on the US board that had me really worried, and to be honest, I saw all the common complaints while we were there, but to us they were minor niggles that I probably wouldn't even have noticed if I hadn't read about them first.

As I'm sure you're more than away, they're service and standard of accomadation across the board is far better then we get here, especially if you compare to some package deal type holidays in Europe, although we do have some great hotels, there are plenty of dissapointments also. I often think when I read these threads that they should come and stay in the UK for a while and then they'd really have something to complain about!!!! LOL

No disrespect intended here to any Americans, if you're used to first class service then you're going to expect it all the time.

Everything I've ever read about OKW has been great and surely it's only cheaper pointswise as it was the original DVC accomadation and they can't change the points once they're set?

Hello
We stayed in a 1BR just before Easter.
Our room was clean - or at least as good as any other hotel we stayed in, everything worked , all pots, pans were OK. Towels also not frayed. The Pool towels were fairly thin but clean and plentiful. The staff (or 95%) of them were friendly and helpful

I,m sure you,ll have a great time

Chris

I'm there twice a year and the standards are still quite high. Sure the soft furnishings are no longer looking new, because they are not, and maybe some things are ready for renewal, but overall it's still pretty good.

In the past I have had a few minor things that I thought required attention, eg bed cover (comforter?) with a hole in it and louvres on windows not working. When I contacted housekeeping I received an immediate apology and things were dealt with quickly.

When I was there in March the outside of the block I was in was being repainted and the gardens looked as good as ever. Since then I know they've had my favourite 'quiet' pool closed for maintenance so it hardly suggests OKW is being neglected. I shouldn't worry about it Ian, I'm sure the criticism was over done. :rolleyes:

I was there two weeks ago and had two different rooms ( 2x4day stays) both rooms were in fine order, no problems with equipment ( other than when Jana jammed the sofa bed in when putting it back to it's "sofa position", mostly because she didn't fold the bed up to do it :rolleyes: LOL. Took me ALL my strength and about 15 minutes to get it back out again so I could put it back in properly). Admittedly the rooms and furnishings are not as pristine as they were when the resort opened, but then I doubt there is a hotel in the world that is in as good nick 12 years after it first opened.

It could be an unfortunate isolated genuine incident, or it might be a particularly picky guest, I don't think you need to worry too much that the resort is going to the dogs.

Thanks for the reassurance. Personally, I've not had a bad experience at OKW although the last trip there was 3 years ago. Apparantly, there is ongoing refurbishment at the resort and maybe this was one thats next on the list and also as you say, perhaps she was overstating her case on the condition of the studio.:)

I wouldn't worry...

In all the years we've been going, I think the worst problem we've had was noisy neighbours (sounded like there were about 8 people in the studio through the adjoining door!).

At worst, furnishings look a little second hand, but the place has been going for a fair while, so that's to be expected.

I'm sure if you had a problem, one call to front desk, and it'd be solved very quickly indeed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter