OKW Bussing

DJBounce

DIS Veteran
I have heard in the past that the bus service to and from OKW is horrible. Is it still bad, or has it improved?

We've been DVC members at OKW since 1995 and have never experienced poor bus service. Those who are aware of the bus schedule and don't expect a bus to magically appear whenever they need one are perfectly happy with OKW bus service.

This is not to say there is not the occassional delay, but all in all bus service at OKW is no better or worse than at any other WDW resort.

We just got back from OKW yesterday, only used the bus to go to MGM, because we had a rental car. We only had to wait 12 minutes for a bus to come buy for MGM.We also use the busses for the other parks, on other trips and have never had a problem.

It was just fine last month. Pretty empty buses, too.

herc.

We've been members since 1993 and before joining we stayed on site at CBR or PO. I agree with Lew. The bus service is no better or worse than the other resorts.
You are very close to Epcot, so once your bus is leaving the resort, it's less than an 8 minute ride. MK is farther, but only about a 15 minute ride once you leave the resort. Actually, last March, we stayed at WL for half of our trip. On some of our trips to MK, the boat picked us up , then went to FW to pick up guests. From the time we got on the boat on those trips, it was close to 15 minutes before our boat arrived at the MK dock.
Here's a link to a previous thread including Tyler's times from OKW to the different parks.

Just returned from OKW and used the buses a lot. I was pleasantly surprised that we never had to wait! On some occasions, we were the only ones on the bus. Guess our timing was just good.

Sorry--
I have to disagree with the previous posters. We just got back from OKW, and not only was the service unpredictable, I found some of the drivers extremely rude. We were at the Hospitality House at 7:15 last Sunday to make MK early entry. No bus until 7:50, which was jam packed. Even though we were one of the first families at the stop, we could not board because our son uses a wheelchair. Rather than explaining this to us (our first time using the busses at WDW with a wheelchair), the driver simply made a slashing motion at his neck, indicating that we would not be able to board. In my most polite voice, I said "Sir, we have been waiting for quite some time-- is there any way we can get on this bus? I can carry my son if I have to" (he has cerebral palsy). The driver said no, then as an afterthought , said he could call another bus to get us. Of course, we missed the early entry, but I was more disappointed in the attitude of the driver, who allowed all of the other families to board first, and did not offer to call the bus until I approached him. Although I should have learned my lesson, we almost missed our reservation for the Hoop Dee Doo the next day after waiting 35 minutes for a bus. I will NEVER take another bus from OKW-- thank goodness we had our car, so that we didn't have to rely on the busses. I would strongly suggest having your own car if staying at OKW-- it will save serious headaches.

One of the biggest complaints about OKW bus service is "erratic service." Whether it be waiting at OKW, or at the Magic Kingdom for example.

95% of the time, the busses are running On Time, and it's just a case of skewed perception. Busses at OKW run approx every 14-17 minutes. Because of the slowness of the resort, waiting at the bus stop, time goes by very slowly. However, the busses do run at those set intervals, and are dispatched on time from the hubs. Before 9:00am, all runs are pre-scripted. Drivers are assigned a particular route, and they stay on that route, running in a circle. After 9:00am, the OKW runs are Flex Dispatched as part of Magic On Demand... they are dispatched at the same intervals as the pre-scripted routes... every 15 minutes, typically on the 15 minute mark.

The other problem is when at the hub itself. For example, at Downtown Disney, a lot of OKW guests complain that they'll see 3 All-Star busses and 2 Port Orleans busses before they see one OKW bus. Well... this is how it works. All-Stars get a bus every 5 minutes. Port Orleans gets a bus every 7 minutes. Old Key West gets a bus every 15 minutes. Why? DEMAND. All three of those All-Star busses will be packed. The Port Orleans busses will be moderate... and the OKW bus will have a few people.

As someone from the inside who sees the daily ins and outs of Disney Transport... OKW receives decent bus service. Yes, the intervals might not be as frequent as the All-Stars, however, the bus is rarely crowded, with the exception of one or two runs during peak times.

Tyler,
Thanks for the explanation......I hope most posters and lurkers will take your advice instead of roadtrippers.Considering you do this for a living and know a lot of the ins and out of OKW bussing.

Originally posted by ncligs
Tyler,
Thanks for the explanation......I hope most posters and lurkers will take your advice instead than roadtrippers.Considering you do this for a living and know a lot of the ins and out of OKW bussing.

Indeed... seeing the daily ins and outs of the operation is quite different than typical guest perception. In reality, nothing is perfect, and there is always that 5% chance that the bus might be late, or that it might be full. I know today for example was a rough day at the Studios... it seemed like every other bus had to be taken out of service for one mechanical problem or another. But we made do. But, like I said... 95% of the time, things do run smoothly... often times even more often. Boardwalk today was at 100% efficiency, despite the rough start. Not an easy task... but we do work hard. :)

Originally posted by Chip 'n Dale Express
... but we do work hard. :)

Tyler, I do appreciate all the hard work you and your fellow CM's do at WDW. I also want to say thanks for helping us understand better how things work on these boards; you are indeed a great asset here on the Transportation Board and I look forward to seeing you on our trip this early summer!

Originally posted by ncligs
Tyler,
Thanks for the explanation......I hope most posters and lurkers will take your advice instead than roadtrippers.Considering you do this for a living and know a lot of the ins and out of OKW bussing.

I'm really sorry if I offended anyone by asking. I asked because at one point ( around 1999) my wife and I were seriously considering buying into DVC and had heard that the bus service to OKW was sub par ( sorry for the "horrible" remark). This is what I has heard from members of the DIS boards at the time. In reagrds to the statement from roadtrippers, I too had a similar experience with my DD who has cerebal palsy and is wheel chair bound. We did find it more convenient to drive our own car to the parks as we were unable to ride that bus that was in that spot at that time due to whatever circumstances and had to wait it out, which I know is not always the case. And thanks to Tyler for putting in his inside view, it is always nice to hear from the other side of the coin.

I feel like I need to to reply to the comment about not taking my advice re: the busses--
I have no doubt that all Disney cast members work hard, and that our friend Tyler has provided people with some valuable insight into how the OKW busses are dispatched.
However, I stand by my comments, especially given the fact that the original poster also has a child with cerebral palsy, as do we. Even though taking a car to the MK means parking at the TTC and taking a monorail, I prefer it to taking the bus from OKW when trying to make a priority seating or early magic opening, since there is no guarantee that even if there is a bus available, that it will be empty enough to allow a wheelchair to board.
I'm sure no one meant to dismiss my major concern, which was about the rudeness of the bus driver, which was completely unacceptable regardless of how hard the drivers are working.

I also have a child with cerebral palsy who uses a wheelchair. We have used the buses from OKW on all our trips since we joined in 1993 and I would still say the buses are not "horrible" and no worse at OKW than anywhere else. We don't usually go for early open (because it takes too long in the morning to get DD ready. I'm on vaction and don't want to get up at the crack of dawn). When we ride the buses, they have not been full and we have not had a problem getting the wheelchair loaded onto the bus because it was too full. Almost all the buses are wheelchair lift/ramp equipped (which was not the case when we started going to WDW in the mid 1980s). Although from time to time, you will see one that is not wheelchair accessible or that has a problem with the lift, I still would not count the buses out for transporting a wheelchair. The rude drivers do exist, but are (luckily) few and far between and usually things work without a hitch.
Those early morning buses might be more full, so you would be likely to run into more problems getting on one. I could see that you might want to take your own transportation to early open or a very early PS. One of the things that would help is having a room near the first bus stop. It's just much easier to be loaded on the bus if the "wheelchair seats" are not already occupied.

But, still, even if we have a vehicle, we always take the bus to MK, even if we drive to other parks. IMHO, it's just too much bother to take DD out of her wheelchair, load everything into the van, drive to TTC, take everything out and transfer DD back into her wheelchair to get on the boat or monorail into MK. Even if we have to wait for the bus, it's less time consuming and less wear and tear on all of us. Your mileage may vary (especially if you have a small child and a small wheelchair which are easy to put in your vehicle).

Some bus boarding instructions for people with wheelchairs or scooters might be in order here:
1) The bus drivers do load guests in wheelchairs or ecvs first (because it is easiest to do when the bus is more empty and the other guests don't get in the way). If the bus is already standing room only when they pull in to your stop, they may have to turn you down for a ride because there will not be enough room inside the bus to manouver the wheelchair on.
2) The ramp or lift is located at the back door of the bus. Don't get in the line with everyone else who is waiting for the bus. Park the wheelchair or ecv out in the open (but stay on the sidewalk) about where the back door of the bus will be when it stops. That gives the bus driver a chance to see you.
3) When a bus comes, be ready to attract attention to yourself. Stay on the sidewalk, but wave your arms, give exaggerated head nods, etc. to catch the drivers attention and let the driver know that you want to board.
4) When the bus arrives at a stop the driver will usually look toward you. If it is not the one you want, shake your head so that the driver knows you don't want that bus.
5) Several seats in the back of the bus are convertable (across from the back door). They can be used for seating, but are folded up to make room for a wheelchair when necessary. If someone is sitting in them, the driver will ask them to move when a wheelchair needs the space. There is a sign above those seats to advise people that they may need to move.
6) After loading, a wheelchair or ecv is tied down on the bus with adjustable straps. It can't be just parked on the bus and the driver will not be able to let you carry the person and their wheelchair on.
7) Someone in your party should know where safe tiedown places on the wheelchair would be. A safe tiedown point is part of the frame of the chair; things like swing-away footrests or antitip bars are not parts of the frame, so they would not be safe tiedowns. The drivers can guess (and is probably quite familiar with rental wheelchairs or ecvs), but wheelchairs differ in design, so it's best to know. We mark some safe tiedown points on DD's wheelchair with bright pink tape. It's much easier to tell the driver to look for the tape than to say "that upright pipe to your right is OK." We've had many drivers say that it makes the loading process much faster and they wish everyone would do that.
8) If they are not able to board you, the driver should offer to call dispatch and have a wheelchair accessible bus sent. If they don't, be prepared to ask if they would let dispatch know that you are waiting and need to be boarded. It's too bad that roadtripper had an experience with a driver who was in need of more pixie dust. Hopefully, there were some complaints and that driver has either been given an extra dose or sent somewhere else to work.

Thank you, Sue, for all your insight on this thread! I have learned so much from these boards, and my intention was to share our experience in the hopes of saving someone from a few stressful moments. Thankfully, aside from the bus situation, there was pixie dust to spare at WDW last week, not to mention the gorgeous weather! I am in detox mode now, with freezing rain out the window instead of the Buena Vista golf course...ah well...

roadtripper: By all means, I do not mean to downplay the attitude of that particular driver. Indeed, that is not acceptable, and I hope you understand that we're not all like that, and that the vast majority of us are much more friendly and helpful.

Sue: Thank you for posting that information, I could not have worded it any better myself.

Tyler
"Congradulations" on your 1000th post.We appreciate your usefull ,informative posts on the Transportation board.
biggthumpup.gif

Congrats, Tyler on #1000.
And glad to help with the info. We've ridden the bus enough times that I didn't have to think too hard about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter