Ok, so I confess, I really, REALLY don't like...

See, I just don't care too much about whether the view is of the MK or of the parking lot at the local Super Walmart.

And that is what we discussed last week - yes, it is a MK view, but it is also a BIG parking lot view in that MK view. In fact, I believe that New Jersey, Anne and I were comparing my New Jersey parking lot view to the CR parking lot view!!

But the bleakness of the resort evokes too many memories of my pal Logan and when he had to run like the wind to avoid being put to sleep on his 21st birthday
:rotfl:

a very boring place to stay since there is never anything big happening.

Well, that is certainly a unique perspective! I don't know what 'big happenings' one looks for in a hotel stay, but as one who lives in hotels, I prefer not to have too many of those.....

From the outside CR looks, to me, like a government building. But the rooms...oh the rooms. I think CR's rooms are the ONLY rooms in all of WDW that don't look one of three types of grandmothers decorated them: prissy granny, country granny, or off-her-meds granny.

But I *Like* off-her-meds granny...

Never a dull moment.

Knox

Well, that is certainly a unique perspective! I don't know what 'big happenings' one looks for in a hotel stay, but as one who lives in hotels, I prefer not to have too many of those.....
What I meant was the way there is always guests on the 4th floor of the Contemporary eating at Chef Mickeys, the Concourse Steakhouse, looking at the stores and watching Wishes on the observation deck, where as the Yacht & Beach Club just have their lobby's with their one store and that's it.

Yacht & Beach Club just have their lobby's with their one store and that's it.
Well, no, not really. They have conventions and weddings. There are several restaurants and bars. Plus there is an entire Boardwalk outside the hotel. And a little pond called Stormalong Bay

I was meeting jdvm for a drink in the Crew Cup Lounge a few months ago and had a great time sitting in a rocking chair watching all the things going on. In fact, I enjoyed myself so much that I was late for our drinks! (sorry John :flower3: )

where to start..........

The Contemtorary happend to be my favorite resort, so as you can imagine this is not exacly what I want to be reading on my Sunday afternoon. With that being said fine, hate the contemporary if you want, it only helps all of the CR fans. Gives us better chances of getting in. Some people just don't know what they are missing, but that is what makes Disney so great, don't like CR ok, there are lots of other resorts. Oh yeah, it is one of the most beautiful buildings I have ever seen, yeah I'm dead serious.

I've heard it called the Logan's Run hotel, the Convention Resort, and the Concrete Resort.

I'm sure it looked REALLY COOL in the 70's, but now, naah, I'll pass until the new DVC villas are built in the new building.

Although the CR rooms look nice in all the pic's that we have seen we still would not want to stay there. It's just not for us. However we do like the YC and the GF. The YC had a lot of things for us to do, the Jr. Suite that we had was very nice with a fantastic view of SAB, love the rocking chairs and speaking of SAB. Well that speaks for itself. We would definitely go back. The GF is our favorite hotel. we just love everything about it. But then the YC and GF are not for everyone either. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and thank goodness for that. The world would be a boring place and besides than we would have nothing to chat about.

The architecture/outside of the Contemporary do NOTHING AT ALL for me, but the pics I have seen of the refurbished rooms do look very nice to me. Throw the remodeled rooms in with a view of the MK and Im sure I will bite the bullet and stay there, when this little one Im carrying is old enough to really enjoy that view =)

As for the Poly...never, aint gonna happen. Just not my cup of tea at all.

The architecture/outside of the Contemporary do NOTHING AT ALL for me, but the pics I have seen of the refurbished rooms do look very nice to me. Throw the remodeled rooms in with a view of the MK and Im sure I will bite the bullet and stay there, when this little one Im carrying is old enough to really enjoy that view =)

As for the Poly...never, aint gonna happen. Just not my cup of tea at all.

Congratulations on your pregnancy.:flower3:

Although the CR rooms look nice in all the pic's that we have seen we still would not want to stay there. It's just not for us. However we do like the YC and the GF. The YC had a lot of things for us to do, the Jr. Suite that we had was very nice with a fantastic view of SAB, love the rocking chairs and speaking of SAB. Well that speaks for itself. We would definitely go back. The GF is our favorite hotel. we just love everything about it. But then the YC and GF are not for everyone either. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and thank goodness for that. The world would be a boring place and besides than we would have nothing to chat about.

I agree with you, it's nice that there are so many choices for everyone's tastes. :)

BTW I love your screenname. :thumbsup2
I was at the Coach store last weekend wearing my WDW hoodie, two employees complimated me on it and we talked Disney-resorts, parks etc. for 20 minutes.

I like the architecture and the pictures of the newly remodeled rooms but after our one stay in the North Garden Wing I have no desire to stay there again. It was by far one of the noisest rooms, didn't care to hear everything that the people above were saying, didn't like hearing our neighbors snoring at night and didn't like the lack of response from the front desk in addressing anything we inquired about. I too had always wanted to stay at the CR and maybe we will again one day stay at the CR but only in a tower room or in the new building that is going up. :)

I have to say I dont like AKL. The rooms are horribly small and the upgrade for a savannah view is nothing to brag about! We are staying at the CR for our upcoming trip. Again, I agree it has to do with personal preference. My ds2 is slightly obsessed with trains and is going to love the fact that the monorail goes right through our hotel. I'm sure later in our trip adventures our tastes will change as our children grow up. We sure do like CR's convenience for travel back to the resort from MK for naps as well.:)

We stayed at CR in 2006. My son REALLY wanted to stay there (still always asks to go back) and I was a little bit, um, not all that thrilled about staying there. Well I can say that we had the BEST vacation there, so much fun. I really enjoyed the remodeled look. My oldest walked in and said, "This is fancy, I like fancy!" LOL.

The pool - eh - not a fan but I was actually quite surprised how much I enjoyed my stay there.

I can understand the feelings though.

However, I for one, can't STAND the values. We do them now and again to either stay cheap for a weekend or because I have yet to try them all (one to go) and every time we stay we think we would be better off off-site.
They just don't do it for us.

Our resort decision are based on location and transportation, so Contemporary and Polynesian (and twice at the GF) are the ones we have stayed at. We have stayed at the Swolphin for a night or two several times and if we were going to stay in an Epcot area resort, it would be there. The better price for the same area as YC/BC/Boardwalk is too good to pass up.

As far as we are concerned, the Contemporary's strong points are location, room size, room views, room decor, and stores. The pool is fine for us, but I know some don't like it.

The way a resort looks on the outside really doesn't factor into our choice.

the Contemporary. Yuck.

Let me preface by saying how much I always wanted to stay there when I was a kid. It was the one resort that I had always hoped to have the opportunity to stay in.

As an adult, I've stayed value, moderate and deluxe many times over on all counts. For some reason, the small handful of deluxes I haven't stayed in but I've visited, i.e. Grand Floridian, Poly and the Contemp, just don't appeal to me.

The GH just seemed too Alexis Carrington, not our style. Unless I got to get into a pool slap fight with Crystal, it just aint worth it.

Poly, sure one day, but I won't pay any high level of bucks to relive Greg getting cursed by the dreaded Taboo during a Very Brady Vacation... including Vincent Price in a cheesy styrofoam cave.

The Contemporary is very Jetsons. I'd definitely stay there if we each got our jetpack at check-in so that our commute to concierge was less than 1.2 milliseconds. And a robot monkey. I always wanted a robot monkey.

It's just that the Contemporary is ... u-g-l-y, you aint got no alibi, you UGLY. Every single time I've walked through that joint, it always evokes the days when I went road tripping as a wee one with the family in the early 70's and we thought we scored big when we found a hotel with a pool.

There, I said it. Even with the pics of the rooms, the place is ugly. Now, I do love the Boardwalk, Wilderness Lodge is awesome, AKL is gorgeous, the Yacht/Beach, albeit a little Alexis is much nicer. Sort of like Alexis on valium.... over a nice gin & tonic, heavy on the gin.

The Contemporary? I don't get it. I'm looking at various resorts for our next Disney vacation and I hovered over that one for a minute and thought, "hells no."

Anyone else either feel the same about the Contempt or perhaps another resort others love but you seem to despise?

:lmao: Alexis Carrington, love it....I grew up watching that show...

oh, and no offense to the CR lovers, nothing personal...

did it come up yet how CR kind of looks like a big toaster?

I stayed at the Contemporary the first year it opened. As a small child, I thought that it was just the coolest place ever. I have memories of watching the monorail come in and out of the building, meeting the characters while eating breakfast, playing air hockey and skee ball in the arcade and having my caricature done. I also remember getting a pair of cool earrings that were mini versions of the Contemporary building (wish I still had them as I'm sure they'd be worth something now!). Good times. Good times.

These days I find myself feeling the same way as the OP. I visit only to take DS7 to Chef Mickey's or for a wonderful meal at CG. I have no desire to stay there again, preferring the Polynesian over anywhere else.

Very funny post, OP!

did it come up yet how CR kind of looks like a big toaster?

Well, I posted this a few months ago in response to some DVC Contemporary discussion....
'well, there is this website for Disney freaks... and then this is this hotel shaped like a toaster... people either love it or hate it.... they are rumoured to be building a giant croissant next to the toaster, but I keep telling people that it's just a parking garage... and croissants don't fit into toasters anyways, so why would they put a croissant next to a toaster?.... and then it gets kinda weird! apparently Disney has managed to get their four fingered paws on some sort of nuclear device! I don't know what they plan to do with it, but someone let it slip, so I had to stay up all night researching this.....'

Seriously though, I appreciate the fact that we can discuss different resorts here and not take preferences personally. I said it back on page one, but this time I will say it in English - to each their own taste

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter