Ok, so I confess, I really, REALLY don't like...

RickinNYC

DIS Veteran
the Contemporary. Yuck.

Let me preface by saying how much I always wanted to stay there when I was a kid. It was the one resort that I had always hoped to have the opportunity to stay in.

As an adult, I've stayed value, moderate and deluxe many times over on all counts. For some reason, the small handful of deluxes I haven't stayed in but I've visited, i.e. Grand Floridian, Poly and the Contemp, just don't appeal to me.

The GH just seemed too Alexis Carrington, not our style. Unless I got to get into a pool slap fight with Crystal, it just aint worth it.

Poly, sure one day, but I won't pay any high level of bucks to relive Greg getting cursed by the dreaded Taboo during a Very Brady Vacation... including Vincent Price in a cheesy styrofoam cave.

The Contemporary is very Jetsons. I'd definitely stay there if we each got our jetpack at check-in so that our commute to concierge was less than 1.2 milliseconds. And a robot monkey. I always wanted a robot monkey.

It's just that the Contemporary is ... u-g-l-y, you aint got no alibi, you UGLY. Every single time I've walked through that joint, it always evokes the days when I went road tripping as a wee one with the family in the early 70's and we thought we scored big when we found a hotel with a pool.

There, I said it. Even with the pics of the rooms, the place is ugly. Now, I do love the Boardwalk, Wilderness Lodge is awesome, AKL is gorgeous, the Yacht/Beach, albeit a little Alexis is much nicer. Sort of like Alexis on valium.... over a nice gin & tonic, heavy on the gin.

The Contemporary? I don't get it. I'm looking at various resorts for our next Disney vacation and I hovered over that one for a minute and thought, "hells no."

Anyone else either feel the same about the Contempt or perhaps another resort others love but you seem to despise?

While I'd agree with most of your points about the Contemporary I do have to say that I "get it". Actually, you get it too - you just didn't realize what the message was. :-) The Contemporary's theme is 'contemporary'. Or at least what contemporary was in 1970. Think sterile, big-city hotels of that era.

Sadly this just doesn't translate well to today. But you've got to love the view of the MK from the tower rooms.

You have me laughing at your tv reference comments. I do agree with you on the Contemporary, kinda. Since they updated the rooms, I think the rooms look nice. As for the rest of the resort, no thank you. I too would prefer WL or AKL any day.

I have to agree with you about the Dynasty thing at the GF, but I loved the Poly and I have to admit I'm a bit curious about the Contemporary. I will probably stay there one day. Just my 2 cents!

OP, I always knew that I liked you! ;)

We have had a lot of discussion of the Contemporary over the years... and how for many of us it holds no magic. Even after the rooms redo, it is just like a Hilton or Sheraton, and simply happens to have a nice neighbour.

The original Contemporary did have a somewhat cohesive theme with the Grand Canyon Concourse, Pueblo Room, Mesa Grande Lounge, etc. This theme was sadly diluted and eventually disappeared altogether with the changes over the years.

Unique? Does this look familiar? http://www.hotel-rates.com/us/colorado/denver/renaissance-denver-hotel.html

Factor in the lacklustre performance of the Concourse Steakhouse in recent years (formerly one of my favourites) and the continued dilution of theming (such as the rumoured pan-Asian restaurant) this hotel continues to be at or near the very bottom of my list of places I have stayed.

WOW! Someone has finally had the courage to actually say what I've always thought about the Contemp. I think I could like the Poly as the theming is pretty good and would stay there. GF is just, as you put it, too Crystal Carrington for me, but I think that's just the point there, what it was supposed to be. But....OMG! the Contemp is like a big, I dunno, can't even come up w/ something to describe it. At least on the Jetson's the buildings had more design.
I had to laugh at the U-G-L-Y, you ain't got no alibi, you UGLY reference. I've thought that lots of times too.

Well, I have to respectfully disagree and say that it is my favorite resort. I have stayed in every resort except Coranado Springs and Car. Beach. I love sitting in the Grand Concourse and watching all the activity. The monorail coming through the building is awesome. The activity of Chef Mickeys is so fun to listen to while sitting sipping a drink at the Outer Rim. I actually preferred the rooms the way they were before the refurbishment..I thought it went more with the themeing of the hotel. I haven't stayed there since they moved the Arcade and Food and Fun Center. I know my kids loved the Arcade and would spend much time and $ playing those arcade games.
I could see why some may not like the theming, but I live in an area that looks more like the Wildreness Lodge surroundings and I really enjoy the urban feel of the Contemporary.:thumbsup2

I actually preferred the rooms the way they were before the refurbishment..I thought it went more with the themeing of the hotel.

ah yes, what I fondly refer to as the 'clown vomit' rooms! ;)

I'm just teasing you - I always say that it is a good thing that we don't all have the same tastes or we would all be trying to book the same resort!

A chacun son goût

I'm just glad not everyone likes the same thing. I personally like the Contemporary and would like to stay there again.

And when it comes to the Boardwalk? My least favorite resort, but I don't call it ugly. Just not my cup of tea.

Thanks for sharing!

I wish more people felt the way you do about the CR...then there would be availability and discounts for me when I try to book a tower room!! At one time the theme was well-executed, though I guess now if we wanted "contemporary," we'd have to knock it down and start over! As far as it being ugly, well, beauty is clearly in the eyes of the beholder.

I LOVE the CR (don't care what it looks like from outside), and there is no other view on the planet like an MK view from the tower. Some of my finest childhood memories are of watching the fireworks from my balcony and waking up to the sight of the castle. I can't wait for an opportunity to share that magic with my family...but it's always all booked up for my dates!

I'm not interested in the GF, either, but not for your same reasons. It just seems very bland to me, like any other beautiful US hotel. Yes, it is lovely, but I don't need to be in Disney to experience beauty. When I go to Disney, I want to feel completely immersed in Disney. GF just doesn't make me feel that magic.

I wouldn't dream of staying at the YC/BC, because we spend most of our summer weekends at the shore, with a real Yacht Club and 2 real boardwalks from which to choose. But I can understand why they would appeal to others, and the location just can't be beat (except for the Poly, my favorite and definitely most conveniently located resort on property).

The GH just seemed too Alexis Carrington, not our style. Unless I got to get into a pool slap fight with Crystal, it just aint worth it.

Poly, sure one day, but I won't pay any high level of bucks to relive Greg getting cursed by the dreaded Taboo during a Very Brady Vacation.

The Contemporary is very Jetsons. I'd definitely stay if we each got our jetpack at check-in so that our commute to concierge was less than 1.2 milliseconds. And a robot monkey. I always wanted a robot monkey.

:rotfl2: Oh, Rick, you crack me up. And I feel the same way. Although I do have a secret desire to try the Contemporary at least once with one of those awesome MK views. I think that would make up for staying in a toaster. ;)

My family flat out refuses to indulge me, though.

I have to admit I hated the contemporary from the first time I saw it many years ago. Its a block of concrete with little on the inside. It feels empty, cold and dated which is the opposite to how it should feel, even the pool seems dull.
I love the Poly and GF though.

Rick Rick Rick Rick Rick...

Does someone just need a hug today? :)

Seriously tho, I happen to generally agree with your comments about the CR. It's never been my cup of tea...

I drink coffee.

:)

Knox

I do agree with you on the GF and Alexis Carrington. We stayed there 2 nights and it wasn't my thing.
I love the Polynesian.:goodvibes
The Contemporary never appealed to me because from outside it reminds me of large buildings or skyscrapers. I work in Manhatten and see that everyday.
So on vacatiion I want somewhere that will take me away to another place and feeling.

That's how the Polynesian fits us perfect. :goodvibes
'

I've never understood the Contemporary either. We walked through it to get to the business center, and it seemed like a huge, empty, haunted mansion... well, maybe not haunted, but still, you just felt very alone, and it wasn't a good feeling in the cold and boring environment that the CR envokes... :(

I don't care for CR either. Doesn't help that every single time I've been in it there was construction of some kind.. either no ceilings, or a big mess in the middle where the new shop now is.

But, after seeing Wishes from the observation deck at Cali Grill, I must say I wouldn't mind spending a couple nights up there in the Tower with MK view.

From the outside CR looks, to me, like a government building. But the rooms...oh the rooms. I think CR's rooms are the ONLY rooms in all of WDW that don't look one of three types of grandmothers decorated them: prissy granny, country granny, or off-her-meds granny.

See, I just don't care too much about whether the view is of the MK or of the parking lot at the local Super Walmart. I don't spend too much time in the room and when I am there, I'm usually sleeping, counting all the little dollar signs as they float into Mickey's bank account.

If the view is important, by all means, yes, I guess the Contemp can't be beat. But the bleakness of the resort evokes too many memories of my pal Logan and when he had to run like the wind to avoid being put to sleep on his 21st birthday. And yes folks, Soylent Green is people. Tasty people, but people nonetheless.

Sure, the resort is great for location, location, location. But someone please throw a little decore into the joint. Have my people call your people.

From the outside CR looks, to me, like a government building. But the rooms...oh the rooms. I think CR's rooms are the ONLY rooms in all of WDW that don't look one of three types of grandmothers decorated them: prissy granny, country granny, or off-her-meds granny.

THANK YOU i needed a good laugh today.....

While I may not agree with some of the comments people have made about the Contemporary, if that's the way you think I am not going to try and change your minds. Plus if there are a lot of people who don't like it then that means more rooms would be available for those guests who do like to stay there.

Now to answer the OP's question I really don't like the Yacht & Beach Club Resorts. I have visited there a few times and I don't get the hype. They look very nice on the outside, however the inside felt like it had no atmosphere and it also felt like a very boring place to stay since there is never anything big happening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter