Ohana's 18th wedding anniversary disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I appreciate this thread so much. Was planning our last dinner of our trip next week to be at Ohana, and have just changed the adr. Thanks!
I wouldn't have been so quick to get rid of that ADR. For as many people posting here about bad experiences there are just as many people/posts with positive experiences. My family has dined at 'Ohana since 1997 and we have never had bad food, service or overall dining experience. We've also only once waited to be seated longer than 10 minutes and we've dined at all different times of the dinner seating hours. I always think that people should try a desired restaurant once for themselves and then they will know if it's a repeat or not.

I have to say that I've heard the opposite about service to large parties. The server automatically gets an 18% gratuity for a party of 6 or more, so there's not much incentive to give them more attention than others. It does seem like 'Ohana gets mixed reviews. Sorry you had a disappointing anniversary dinner!!

We did our last dinner at 'Ohana last October and found it enjoyable.

We were seated late (but we expected that).
The coconut races were loud (but we expected that, and our kids participated).
The table NEXT to us was obnoxious (but that's luck of the draw).
Our waiter was great (I instructed him from square one that the kids would be eating the typical food, and that I would be di$pleased if he offered hot dogs or macaroni; he got my drift).
We timed it not to hope to watch fireworks from one of the handful of tables with a view, but from the beach (nailed that).

Things 'Ohana will not be, and you need to understand up front:
  • A quick meal
  • Highly personalized
  • Quiet or romantic
  • High-end food
You're paying for scarcity (hot reservation) and atmosphere, like many places at Disney. The tables are closely spaced and the restaurant is frequently overbooked. It can be a really good choice with a larger group.

If you want high-end, there are quieter restaurants with more chef-driven food. If you want romantic, 'Ohana is pretty low on the list. If you want personalization, it's also quite low. The volume they deal with does not accommodate a lot of adjustment.

Again, the host will rarely switch table assignments. It's not something they're supposed to do.

I'm willing to bet a good 30% of people checking any given night have a celebration noted.

My wife is NOT shy about telling the host that the table isn't acceptable. We've been switched at 'Ohana in the past, when they tried to seat us in the center of the room (where they put large parties) and when they wanted to give us a table next to where the coconut races occur (we learned after the first time we sat there and got banged by the coconuts and brooms). We've also been switched at many others (Narcoosee's, California Grill, Yak and Yeti, San Angel Inn, Liberty Tree Tavern, Hollywood Brown Derby, etc...)

We did our last dinner at 'Ohana last October and found it enjoyable.

We were seated late (but we expected that).
The coconut races were loud (but we expected that, and our kids participated).
The table NEXT to us was obnoxious (but that's luck of the draw).
Our waiter was great (I instructed him from square one that the kids would be eating the typical food, and that I would be di$pleased if he offered hot dogs or macaroni; he got my drift).
We timed it not to hope to watch fireworks from one of the handful of tables with a view, but from the beach (nailed that).

• A quick meal
  • Highly personalized
  • Quiet or romantic
  • High-end food
You're paying for scarcity (hot reservation) and atmosphere, like many places at Disney. The tables are closely spaced and the restaurant is frequently overbooked. It can be a really good choice with a larger group.

If you want high-end, there are quieter restaurants with more chef-driven food. If you want romantic, 'Ohana is pretty low on the list. If you want personalization, it's also quite low. The volume they deal with does not accommodate a lot of adjustment.
Guess what. I didn't expect any of those things. As I said before for the price I expected to get good service and good food nothing more.I got neither. The other omissions were not important but added to my frustration over a poor experience which stemmed mostly from the service being subpar and that is putting it lightly.

We've been to Ohana nearly trip. The food has always wonderful, but the service left something to be desired a few visits.

Something odd, too, they do not like giving up the macadamia nut butter. I asked for it one visit and the waitress told me we didn't need it because the bread was moist enough on its own. A couple of times, they said no problem, we'll get you some, but then it never materialized. Strange.

One other for anybody reading--everything is AYCE. I have learned to ask for an extra dish of ice cream because it melts quickly under the bananas foster sauce. I enjoy the contrast of the cold temperature of the ice cream versus the warm pudding and sauce.

It's a minor point, but I'm curious. Several people, including OP, mentioned waiting for bread.

We've never been there (out of probably 25+ visits) that we weren't walked to our table past where the bread is on the bar and the hostess puts some on a bread-dish and carries it to the table as we are seated.

If this has stopped, it must be during the last month or so since we went last.

And I know we're different in this respect, but I'll enjoy my meal across the course of 3 hours if they take that long to serve us. But just don't be surprised when we ask for more shrimp when you think you're going to be bringing the desert! ;-) This is one diner that won't be rushed.

It's a minor point, but I'm curious. Several people, including OP, mentioned waiting for bread.

We've never been there (out of probably 25+ visits) that we weren't walked to our table past where the bread is on the bar and the hostess puts some on a bread-dish and carries it to the table as we are seated.

If this has stopped, it must be during the last month or so since we went last.

And I know we're different in this respect, but I'll enjoy my meal across the course of 3 hours if they take that long to serve us. But just don't be surprised when we ask for more shrimp when you think you're going to be bringing the desert! ;-) This is one diner that won't be rushed.

We ate there in late April and they did this (picked up the bread on our way to the table.)

We ate at Ohana last Saturday evening and the host also picked up our bread on the way to the table. We thought it was going to be a sweet Hawaiian bread, but it was more of an white sour dough loaf. Bummer.

Ohana, I'm not expecting anything special but I don't want to have bad service cause we're a party of 2.

We are going as a party of 2 on a Friday night in October at 8:40. I think we have all the odds stacked against us!

We are expecting a loud, silly time with a kitschy Disney feel. If the food is great, all the better! :)

Here's hoping we both have great experiences!

As for drinks - can we get a glass of wine at the lounge and bring it with us to dinner?
Might help...

• A quick meal
  • Highly personalized
  • Quiet or romantic
  • High-end food

I think this post totally hits the mark. My husband and I went (as a party of two) this last December. We waited a good deal of time to enter the restaurant (even with our ADR), and once we did, it was a rambunctious experience (even with a late evening reservation).

The food quality won't blow your mind, but it's pretty good in the same way that going to your local hibachi restaurant is. The food is plentiful, and it's pretty impossible to leave hungry. We had a good time, in part because we knew exactly what to expect! If you're looking for a special or romantic meal, this really isn't the place. Earlier in the week we had cocktails and dessert in the lounge at California Grill, and even just sitting in the lounge, the service was warm, personalized, attentive and relaxing, despite the fact that the restaurant was more jam-packed than Ohana.

All that being said: my husband has a life-threatening shellfish allergy, which we let our servers know about. The chef at Ohana came out and spoke to us personally, and made sure that all of his food was prepared separately. He checked in with us a couple of times to see how our meals were as well. It's things like that that make us big fans of our Disney vacations!

Holy cow. Someone sharing their experience and point of view does not warrant such an attitude.

Hey look I'm not going to argue anymore about it. The poster was questioning my post as to its legitimacy with the with my 25 visits this never happened post. I didn't post this to get flack from the Ohana police. I posted this to make people aware that my wife and I had a less than favorable experience due to the service. Clearly I am not the only one as others in this thread have indicated.

Hey look I'm not going to argue anymore about it. The poster was questioning my post as to its legitimacy with the with my 25 visits this never happened post. I didn't post this to get flack from the Ohana police. I posted this to make people aware that my wife and I had a less than favorable experience due to the service. Clearly I am not the only one as others in this thread have indicated.
I didn't interpret that post to be questioning your legitimacy at all, but if you did I can't stop you.

Seriously? I get that you were unhappy. I also think you had expectations that were not ever going to be met at 'Ohana and much if that is due to your lack of research. While 'Ohana is not my favorite restaurant, the rest of my family has made it a tradition for every trip, and for many if the reasons you were unhappy. It's loud, busy, distracting and has food they like. We have only had one meal that sent it off of our rotation.

Now we have been polite and have refrained from pointing out that the last place most of us would choose for a special dinner where we had a preference for a romantic quiet table, complete with accommodations because of a celebration is 'Ohana. Had you asked in advance you would have been provided with plenty of suggestions for dinner and perhaps how to view the fireworks after.

Insulting people who know what to expect and actually plan for the evening so they turn what could be disappointing into a positive experience is beyond rude.

So clearly you either haven't read this thread or have very poor reading comprehension. My expectations of wanting timely service from my waiter equal to the table beside me is hardly a unreasonable request. Nor is it unreasonable to expect food that is of the quality of the $150 I paid with tip to be up to par of other places within Disney. Yes it was a special dinner but as I have stated over and over ad nauseam this was about the service and the food much more than the other minor details that I mentioned. Had the service not been so poor the other things would have been over looked. As it was though the small details become more annoying because the service was just that bad. As far as being rude we can agree to disagree. That poster was clearly questioning the validity of my statement IMO. If you don't agree fine feel free to ignore and move along. Thanks.

So clearly you either haven't read this thread or have very poor reading comprehension. My expectations of wanting timely service from my waiter equal to the table beside me is hardly a unreasonable request. Nor is it unreasonable to expect food that is of the quality of the $150 I paid with tip to be up to par of other places within Disney. Yes it was a special dinner but as I have stated over and over ad nauseam this was about the service and the food much more than the other minor details that I mentioned. Had the service not been so poor the other things would have been over looked. As it was though the small details become more annoying because the service was just that bad. As far as being rude we can agree to disagree. That poster was clearly questioning the validity of my statement IMO. If you don't agree fine feel free to ignore and move along. Thanks.

I read every post and my reading comprehension is adequate to respond to rudenesss.

I read every post and my reading comprehension is adequate to respond to rudenesss.

Clearly it is not your strong suit as you are rambling on about how I should have researched Ohana blah blah blah loud noisy not a place for a special dinner post. It clearly went over your head as to the point of the thread even though it was stated over and over and over. Just so you know I didn't go into the ADR blind to the situation. It was touted as good food and good service. I received neither. Clearly I am not the only one who found this to be the case. The other poster made an asinine post. 25 visits and they have always delivered my bread a certain way..Like I said if you don't like what I have to say hit the ignore and move along.

Just wondering Op how are you gettin 150 for your dinner for 2? It is 46 per an adult and the tax. Unless you also had alcohol which doesn't really change the quality of the food you should have been closer to 105. I would for sure not tipped $40 if I had terrible service.

Just wondering Op how are you gettin 150 for your dinner for 2? It is 46 per an adult and the tax. Unless you also had alcohol which doesn't really change the quality of the food you should have been closer to 105. I would for sure not tipped $40 if I had terrible service.
That was with drinks and tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!