Oh no, another cash or check only thread

tvguy

Question anything the facts don't support.
My daughter just bought her first home. She does not have a checkbook.

Earnest money she was able to do a wire transfer for a fee of $25.
Down payment she was able to do a wire transfer for a fee of $25

However, the following items were cash or check only.
1)AC inspection
2) Termite inspection
3) Total home inspection
4) Roof inspection

Now that she has the house, the following items are cash or check only
1)Handyman to do minor repairs (seller reduced price to cover items turned up in the inspeciton)
2) Fencing repair

So I am writing a lot of checks for her, and fortunately we still have the joint account set up when she was overseas in College open so she can easily transfer money to me.

Most banks will give you a few checks, if it's an emergency & you need one. DS recently had to get a check from his bank for a purchase that wouldn't take any other form of payment. They gave him a sheet of 5 checks that had all of his banking info on them. It wouldn't be a bad idea for her to get a checkbook. We have one that will probably last us 10+ years, but it's a good idea to have checks, when you need them.

Why doesn't she have a checking account? I'm assuming she has a job so where does her paycheck go? As PP said, she needs to open one.
In a large majority of cases a debit card could be used to access funds from your "checking" account. We don't average writing one check a year, but we do have a checkbook in case it's needed.

Google how to write a check. Lots of sites, maybe choose one or two for her to read to learn this life skill.
Next step, she needs to go to her financial institution and order a small box of checks.

I have a lifetime supply of checks because I don't write them very often. The checks have not only the wrong address on them they have the wrong bank name. Routing & account number are correct.
I used my checks from a different state for almost 5 years before they ran out and I bothered to order some more. I write more checks than some here for school things so maybe 40 a year total. Only when I ordered new checks did I find out that my bank had changed its routing number during a merger 2 years earlier. Amazed that my wrong address/wrong routing number checks always went through just fine.

I used my checks from a different state for almost 5 years before they ran out and I bothered to order some more. I write more checks than some here for school things so maybe 40 a year total. Only when I ordered new checks did I find out that my bank had changed its routing number during a merger 2 years earlier. Amazed that my wrong address/wrong routing number checks always went through just fine.

Makes you wonder does anyone or any machine even look at the stuff on the front! 😂

I write them every week at work for bills.

However, at home it's mostly for my high school daughter's activities.

Our 3 sons probably have never had to write a check.

So many electronic means of transferring funds these days.

Even tithes for church are electronic now.

She bought a house and doesn't have checks? How? I don't...never mind.

I did... and I don’t have checks. Haven’t written one in 11 years. Honestly... never felt like changing my name on my checkbook so after I got married I never ordered more! For the very, VERY few times I need to pay with a check, I do it through the “bill pay” feature through my bank. They cut the check and mail it to the intended recipient for you... I even get to save on stamps haha!

I recently went through this with a new roommate. She had no means of paying rent to our landlord because she did not have a checkbook. He did not take Venmo. She had to pay for money orders and then give them to him with no official record of if/when they were cashed, since they were pre-paid.

Get checks. I use one check a month, but it was less than the $25 fees you're speaking of to get checks. There's no reason NOT to have checks, even if you don't end up using them.

Lol 😂😂😂😂😂

That was me when I got my first apartment after separating from my husband. I had to keep going to the bank to get checks written against my account because I didn't have any checks! This went on for months until I finally bought checks. The only checks I write are to my landlord. Sometimes, before I broke down and got the checkbook, if I needed a check for a school activity or school pictures or something I'd pay a relative and ask them to write a check for me, everything is electronic now.

I did... and I don’t have checks. Haven’t written one in 11 years. Honestly... never felt like changing my name on my checkbook so after I got married I never ordered more! For the very, VERY few times I need to pay with a check, I do it through the “bill pay” feature through my bank. They cut the check and mail it to the intended recipient for you... I even get to save on stamps haha!

But you had them at one point.

I guess what I am getting at is, you are mature/independent enough to buy a house, yet you never ordered some checks? At some point, every adult will need to write a check for SOMETHING. Just blows my mind, that is all.

But you had them at one point.

I guess what I am getting at is, you are mature/independent enough to buy a house, yet you never ordered some checks? At some point, every adult will need to write a check for SOMETHING. Just blows my mind, that is all.

I’m just saying you can buy a house without needing checks. I bought my house in 2015. My last check was 2008.

I have a lifetime supply of checks because I don't write them very often. The checks have not only the wrong address on them they have the wrong bank name. Routing & account number are correct.
We use so few and had so many left when we made our last move, I didn't bother ordering new ones with the correct information. For the past year or so I can't remember ever writing one except to put in the odd birthday card I mailed. I do keep a couple in my wallet just in case, although I can't imagine a situation anymore when I would need one.

You can buy the actual house without needing checks. What this thread illustrates is that it's possible that you can't actually be a homeowner without needing checks. I am really unsure how it's easier to ask people to write checks for you than it is to just order checks, which you can do online!

I’m just saying you can buy a house without needing checks. I bought my house in 2015. My last check was 2008.

I wasn't implying you need checks to buy a house. It's a matter of being fully prepared for independence, I guess. From some past posts, I believe the OPs daughter had been living g at home to save up to buy a house. Seems like ordering some checks would be one of those "life things" a person would get to before "buy a house."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!