Offsite strategy - ropedrop worth it?

voleball

Mouseketeer
Planning the trip for mid-December and staying offsite. I'm wondering ...
  1. Is ropedrop worth the hustle for offsite guests? Do you still get to ride some good ones without waiting too long in a line? Is there any park that is worth it and any isn't?
  2. If any particular park is worth it, what would be the rides to run to?
  3. If any particular park is not worth it, when would be a good time to go and how to stack rides with G+ and ILL$?
Things changed just too much... Any advice is appreciated.

Planning the trip for mid-December and staying offsite. I'm wondering ...
  1. Is ropedrop worth the hustle for offsite guests? Do you still get to ride some good ones without waiting too long in a line? Is there any park that is worth it and any isn't?
  2. If any particular park is worth it, what would be the rides to run to?
  3. If any particular park is not worth it, when would be a good time to go and how to stack rides with G+ and ILL$?
Things changed just too much... Any advice is appreciated.
I think MK would be worth it. Since only Fantasyland and Tomorrowland are open for EE, there will be no one in Adventureland yet. I would rope drop and go to Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Splash, Big Thunder, and Haunted Mansion. That is what we did in May. We were onsite but didn‘t get up for EE.

I think HS is the park to use G+ stacking and ILL.

Hello! I just finished a trip to WDW and was staying offsite. And it'd been 8.5 years since my last trip, so there was definitely a lot of new things to learn about and consider. We had 6 park days, Genie+ for all of them, and we're committed to trying to get an ILL for all four rides that they were available for.

Our first day we were at Epcot when it opened and were able to knock out almost the entirety of Future World before a 12:15 dining reservation in Canada. Would've had it too if Test Track hadn't closed. The other days (day 2 & 3) we were trying to rope drop we failed (one day late start + broken monorail & contact lenses problems the other day).

One of those failed rope drop days included entering Epcot through the International Gateway via Skyliner from HS. It puts you in the park right near Remy. We got there at 30 mins after opening and waited a little over an hour. I'm convinced this would have been closer to 40 mins had we gotten there on time.

Since you're staying offsite, it'd be good to take into account how far away you'll be driving from and if you'll be wanting downtime back at your accommodation during the day or not. Our last three days we took things easier and didn't plan to arrive until an hour or so after opening.

Personally, I thought HS didn't seem worth trying to rope drop because the lines are long all morning and afternoon. It was much easier just to stack LLs for the evening for everything we wanted. Rather than do a full day there, we did two half days in the afternoon/evening where we stacked several LL for there.

At MK, we got there about an hour late. We hit Tomorrowland first and walked onto BLSS and had a LL to Space Mountain in the morning. From there, we just stacked LLs over the course of the day according to land and return time to keep back and forth to a minimum and worked in rides and shows that had short wait times.

AK is a mixed bag because everyone goes for FoP first and the line waits spread out from there. So if you plan to buy a FoP ILL, then it'll be great because you can hit everything else in the park with relative ease. The only thing that may end up having a long (60+ min) line is the other Pandora ride that is cool but not worth such a long wait. If you'll have Genie+ at AK (I know some say it isn't worthwhile), then try to get a LL for it near your FoP ILL.

Also, keep in mind that as an offsite guest, you'll be at a disadvantage for ILL because you can't buy until park opening whereas resort guests can buy at 7AM. For us, this led to all of our ILLs being in the evening.

Let me know if you have any questions. Feel free to PM if needed as well.

Last edited:
I would agree that it still works for AK (minus Pandora), Epcot & MK. DHS, the lines get too long quickly. It’s the park that I’m more likely to just stack Genie+ for the evening.

Depends what you want to ride. Outside of the super popular rides, it still makes sense to RD. You still will beat the major crowds coming later. Especially true at MK as only 2 lands are open for EE.

It's generally a yes, as others have noted. It's one strategy that will still yield results today much as it did 50 years ago when we didn't have anything else but standby lines for everything. There may be slight disadvantage for offsite guests though when onsite guests have earlier morning entry. That will change the effectiveness of the strategy.

Yes RD and go to "B"/lesser popular attractions or attractions that open with the rest of the park.

One of those failed rope drop days included entering Epcot through the International Gateway via Skyliner from HS. It puts you in the park right near Remy. We got there at 30 mins after opening and waited a little over an hour. I'm convinced this would have been closer to 40 mins had we gotten there on time.

Do you mean the wait for Remy was an hour? Or was this how long it took you just to enter the park at Intl Gateway?

Do you mean the wait for Remy was an hour? Or was this how long it took you just to enter the park at Intl Gateway?
Yes, the wait for Remy was a bit over an hour. There was no line at the International Gateway. Also, we really enjoyed the Skyliner (from HS with a transfer at CBR), which we hadn't done before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter