Official SHADES OF GREEN Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

JanetRose

...what was the meaning of the big white glove?
logo.jpg

SHADES OF GREEN
Post Office Box 22789
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-2789
Reservations: 888-593-2242
Fax: 407-824-3665
Hotel Direct: 407-824-3400
www.shadesofgreen.org

Shades of Green (SoG) originally opened in 1994 as the only Armed Forces Recreation Center (AFRC) in the continental United States. In response to ever-increasing demand the resort undertook a massive expansion and renovation in 2002 increasing in both size and services offered. SoG more than doubled the number of guest rooms to 586, added 10 family suites; additional dining options, meeting facilities, a fitness center and multi-leveled parking garage. Reopening in March 2004, SoG has emerged as a premier resort destination in the heart of Walt Disney World.

Extra spacious hotel rooms (480 square feet) accommodate up to five persons and amenities include coffee maker, refrigerator, in-room safe (free), hairdryer, iron and iron board, in-room movies and internet access and video games. Each room has either a patio or a private balcony with two chairs and a table.

::MickeyMo There is a bottle of hand wash at each bathroom sink and a dispenser in the bath/shower with shampoo and body wash. There are no shampoo or body lotion bottles or bars of soap. You can purchase a bar of soap in the AAFES store for about a dollar.

::MickeyMo The in-room safe has a removable shelf which if taken out can fit a laptop 11x14

- Two championship golf courses and a 9-hole executive course (part of WDW Resort) right outside the door
- Two lighted tennis courts (open 24 hours a day)
- Two heated swimming pools (open 0700-midnight)
- Hot tub (open 0700-2200)
- Children’s pool and play area
- Attraction ticket sales (open 0800-2100) & Guest services (open 0700-1900)
- Restaurants, lounge and sports bar
- State-of-the-art banquet accommodations
- Room Service
- Gift shops
- Video arcade
- Laundry facilities (open 0900-2300)
- Fitness Center (open 0700-2200)
- Automated teller machines
- Transportation to all WDW Resort attractions
- Early entry into select WDW attractions

Parking Fees. Self parking $5 per day; Valet parking $10 for each day used.

Check-in time is 1500 hours; Check-out time is 1100 hours. Late check outs can be requested on the morning of departure and is subject to availability. An additional fee will apply.

Early Departures. Early departures are subject to a one night charge.

Smoking Policy. The entire facility, to include pool areas, is smoke free. If the smoke free policy is violated in the guest rooms, a penalty will be incurred. Smoking is permitted on the guest room balconies and patios as long as the door is closed.

Electrical Items. Personal electrical items, such as cooking appliances and coffee pots, are not allowed in the rooms.

Pet Policy. Pets are not permitted on SoG property. If the pet policy is violated, a penalty will be incurred.

Current list of TV stations (Dec07). TWC, NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, PBS, CW, Univision, Disney, Toon Disney, NICK, ABC Family, Toon, Animal Planet, Military, Nat Geo, Discovery, History, Showtime, Showtime Too, Showtime Case, Showtime Extreme, CNNHLN, CNN, CNBC, MSNBC, Fox News, Golf, Speed, CSTV, Big 10, NFL, TBS, TNT, USA, FX, Spike, AE, TLC, Oxygen, AMC, Sci-Fi, Comedy, MTV, BET

ACTIVITIES & ENTERTAINMENT.

MPOG (Mulit-Player Online Game) kiosks are available 24/7 and located across from AAFES. They can also be used to surf the internet, check e-mail and print boarding passes. At the Mini Marina, you have the chance to steer one of the military’s smallest fleets ever! The boats operate electronically and can be activated by purchasing tokens on the dock. One token gets you two minutes with the boat of your choice. Choose from the USS Army, USS Marine Corps, USS Navy, USS Coast Guard, USS Air Force or USS Lest We Forget! Four Wheel Monster truck fans can test their skills at the outdoor coin operated course next to Evergreen’s. Two brand new game rooms are located on the resort. There is one adjacent to Evergreens, where you can also shoot a game of pool while watching sporting events on one of the big televisions at the bar. The other arcade is located inside the hotel on the first floor of the Magnolia Wing and has an air hockey table, pool table and the latest video games.

Fitness Facilities. State of the art Fitness Center is open every day from 0700-2200. A valid room key is required for access. For safety concerns, children under 16 are not permitted in the Fitness Center.

Tennis Courts. Two hard surface, lighted Tennis Courts are located on property and open 24 hours a day.

Pools. Swim laps or relax in the bubbling hot tub at the Magnolia Pool or splash with the kids in the children’s wading pool and Millpond Pool, located next to the playground. Both pools have areas for relaxing with sun chairs, tables and umbrellas. The Millpond Pool Pavilion provides towel services. No lifeguards are on duty, but swim aids are permitted. Pools are open from 0700-midnight, Hot Tub hours are 0700-2200.

DINING.

The Garden Gallery. Themed buffets include a great selection of international cuisine and a fresh fruit, soup and salad bar. Open daily for breakfast from 0700-1100 ($8.95 adults/$4.95 children without drink (Dec07) and dinner from 1700-2130.

Mangino’s. Italian restaurant with nightly specials, an array of traditional Tuscan dishes and a sprawling wine list. Open daily from 1730 with the last seating at 2100.

Evergreens Sports Bar & Grill. Serves traditional American Cuisine with favorites like burgers, grilled sandwiches, soups, salads and pizza. Open daily from 1100-2400 with regular menu served until 2200 and pizza only menu from 2200-2400. Carry-out service and pizza delivery are also available.

::MickeyMo 14 inch Cheese Pizza $8.95 with additional toppings $1.25 each; Foot O Rings served with three special sauces $6.50; Fried fish fillet served with French fries $7.50; 6 oz Burger served with lettuce, tomato and pickle $6.25; Side order of French fries $1.75; Soft drinks $1.95 (free refills); Domestic draft beer $3.75; Domestic pitcher beer $12; Desserts (Chocolate cake, Caramel apple pie, Key lime pie and Cheesecake $4.25) (Dec07).

Express Café. Counter service restaurant features breakfast sandwiches, pastries, snacks, fresh coffee, tea and more. Lunch items are available to go. Located next to the bus area. Open daily from 0600-1700.

Java Coffee. Java Café serves fresh Starbucks coffee and assorted pastry items. Located next to AAFES and open from 0600-1300.

America, The Ice Cream Parlour. 1950’s themed ice cream parlour. Enjoy your favorite songs playing on an authentic Wurlitzer juke box. Choose from a variety of flavors of handmade ice cream, prepared at SoG. Open daily from 1600-2200.

Room Service. Available during breakfast 0700-1100 and dinner 1600-2300.

SHOPPING.

AAFES. Sells nearly everything you will need during your vacation, from sodas, snacks, and film, to postcards, t-shirts, sunglasses and toiletries. Magazines, books and newspapers are also available in addition to beer, wine and tobacco products. AAFES is located on the lobby level across from Guest services and open daily from 0700-2100.

East Meets West. Gift Shoppe offers one of kind souvenirs from SoG and other AFRCs around the globe. A unique selection of jewelry, art, pottery, clothing and gifts are featured. Located on the lobby level next to the Attraction Tickets Office. Open from 0800-2000 on Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun and Mon and from 0800-1600 on Tues and Wed.

SPECIAL SERVICES.

Guest Services. Available to assist you in planning your vacation during your stay at SoG. Open daily from 0700-1900. Information on dinner shows, theater and other events off property as well as brochures and maps. They can also arrange dining reservations, child care services and taxi pick-ups. You can also schedule your Round of Golf at any of Disney’s golf courses and receive a discount on rates. Specials are available for Florida residents. Guest Services is located on the lobby level across from AAFES.

BAGS (Baggage Airline Guest Services) is a remote airline check-in service allowing airline passengers to check their luggage and receive their boarding passes from the hotel lobby. Visit the Bell stand for price, instructions, times and participating airlines.

Hertz rental car is located in the main lobby.

Kodak photographic services are available in the main lobby. Schedule your individual, family or group portrait session. Additional services include flash memory to CD transfer. Check with the lobby desk for details.

Internet/Telephone Services. There are two computers on the lobby level for surfing the Internet and checking e-mail. The computers are credit/debit card operated and cost $6.95 for 15 minutes, $10.95 for 30 minutes and $17.95 for 60 minutes. There is High-Speed Broadband Access in every guest room and 10 feet cables can be acquired at the Front Desk. The cost is $6.95 from 1200to 1200 hours. There are Wireless Hot Spots in the main lobby, at both the Magnolia and Mill Pond pools, at a cost of $6.95 for 24 hours. Dial-up Service is available from your room and charged as a local call.

Telephone rates are local and 800 numbers .50/first 30 minutes; .75 additional 30 minute intervals; $10 maximum charge; Calling Card Calls .50; National Directory Assistance .90; Long Distance is Prevailing rate.

ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS.

SoG is available to certain eligible members of the U.S. Armed Forces community, their families, and certain civilians in the Department of Defense (DoD) and elsewhere. For the exact requirements for authorized patronage at SoG, see http://shadesofgreen.org/eligibility.htm

BOOKING RULES.

See http://shadesofgreen.org/booking.htm

ROOM RATES.

Rates are subject to pay grade and party size verification upon check in. Upon check-in, a valid military ID or DoD ID and Leave and Earning Statement (LES) is required. For rates, see http://www.shadesofgreen.org/roomrates.htm

F.A.Q.
For a list of the most commonly asked questions about SoG, see http://shadesofgreen.org/faq-home.htm

::MickeyMo Mousecellaneous Information

(above information copied from Green Scene Newsletter (Dec 07), SoG brochures and SoG website)

100_1288-1.jpg

Post.jpg

100_1082-2.jpg

post2.jpg

100_1083.jpg

100_1545.jpg

100_1548.jpg

100_1539.jpg

100_1096.jpg

100_1619.jpg

Glad you enjoyed it. I was there about 15 yrs ago (different name, but I can't remember at 5 am!) It was lovely and relaxing!

We're going back for the third time at SOG and wouldn't stay anywhere else. Why would we? It's inexpensive especially for the size of the rooms, it's convenient, everyone is very friendly to everyone, it's relaxing and quiet. We can't eat breakfast anywhere on site any cheaper. It may be the same buffet every morning, but it's standard breakfast fare and it gets us going in the am. Plus, from what I've read on the SOG site, they now have Starbucks coffee! :coffee:

We stayed at SOG in 2005 and are going back this March! I am glad to hear someone else like SOG, I guess I am tired of hearing that it doesn't have the Disney 'Magic'!!! So it doesn't have the Mickey soap and shampoo, and maybe a few pieces of paper with WDW on it but I think/believe that doesn't make it 'magic'... it is all in what you make it! So thank you for not saying it doesn't have 'Magic':)

We love it, too! We stayed in the N Garden of the Contemporary once, and while I *loved* the convenience of it, the main lobby was so busy, noisy, and such a hassle. We stayed at SoG after that, and will probably never stay anywhere else.

My one complaint is that their suites cost more than double the cost of a regular room. We could get 2 rooms for less than the suite, but then we aren't guaranteed to have them connecting. Why is it we can get one room for ~100 a night, but a Jr Suite is 250?

SoG has always had plenty of Disney Magic for our family. In fact when we stayed at the CR when SoG was closed my daughter was disappointed! She preferred SoG!!! You just can not beat the proximity to the parks, the perks of EEM and EE, the size of the rooms, .....WE'LL BE BACK IN MARCH!!!!!:cool1: :banana: :banana: :cloud9: :love:

We don't have the option to stay there (not military folks), but based on other reports, if we did, would definitely consider it. Glad you had such a nice time.:wizard:

Thanks for sharing your review. My kids love it so much, they'd like to live there year round. ;) The peace and tranquility of the resort after a long day of hustling and bustling in the parks is well worth the sacrifice of the Disney theming at the other resorts.

We were looking at it for our next trip at the end of 2008, SOG would cost me $125 per night plus $5 for parking. I can book at a value for $82 per night or a moderate for $149 with free parking.

Then of course, there is always the Nick Hotel... oops, did I say a bad word?

remember to add the hotel tax. I think that would raise the WDW by 11% making your true cost around $91 at the value and $160 for the mod vrs. $125 plus $5 parking for SoG.

We went in Jan 07 for 1 night and fell in LOVE and now we can't wait to go back in June. We just loved how quiet and relaxed it all felt. You also can't beat the price for the size of the room and to have a the AAFES store right there too!

I love Shades. Someone else posted this:

I have been thinking about Magic and SoG. Some Magic that is specific to SoG is that there is never any embarrassing language or behaviour to be explained to children. When you get off a SoG bus and are having difficulty with tired children, bags, strollers etc. someone always politely offers to help. Gentlemen and older children offer their seats to ladies, elderly, and small children. People are generally very kind. When reading some of the posts about the growing rudeness of WDW guests, it is nice to be able to count on kind, civilized behaviour at your resort. Also children very rarely run amok. Their parents keep tabs on them. :pixiedust:

That is what is MAGIC about SoG.:grouphug:

This was so well said I had to repeat it. I'll be there Thursday and I'm looking forward to it. We're going to watch our daughter run the marathon.

We were looking at it for our next trip at the end of 2008, SOG would cost me $125 per night plus $5 for parking. I can book at a value for $82 per night or a moderate for $149 with free parking.

SOG rooms are larger than value resort rooms. It's also an interior hallway hotel. And as someone else said, no tax. Another nice thing about it is it's proximity to MK, TTC, and the Monorail. You can't go solely by price. There are so many intangibles that make SOG a better value.

We are staying at SOG in June and we also looked into the values, but you have to remember that you are really comparing a deluxe vs a value. The rooms at SOG are way bigger than the rooms at the values. We did stay at Pop last year and would not do it again. POP seemed incredibly crowded to us. The lobby and food court was always crazy. Also, I have to say that being about to walk to the Poly and use the monorail is a huge plus. While I understand that price is always a huge consideration, I would happily pay a few dollars more for the benefits that SOG offers. Don't forget, you can also get park tickets at SOG for less than through Disney.

I am not military so I dont have the option but as far as I am concerned our Military deserves the red carpet treatment! Way to go!

SOG rooms are larger than value resort rooms. It's also an interior hallway hotel. And as someone else said, no tax. Another nice thing about it is it's proximity to MK, TTC, and the Monorail. You can't go solely by price. There are so many intangibles that make SOG a better value.

Just wanted to add 2 QUEEN beds and a sleeper sofa and the fact you can have 5 people per room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter