Official Miami Port Information Thread-5/1 update

We're driving to Miami for our next cruise and I was hoping that someone could please recommend a hotel near the port. Thank you.

We will be taking our daughters on the Wonder in April, but we have never cruised out of Miami. Here is my plan:

Fly into MCO, stay at BLT for 2 days, drive down to Miami the day before the cruise and stay overnight.

Here are my questions:
1. Which hotel (s) do you all recommend, we will need one night for 4 people.
2. Which car rental place would you use? We will pick up at MCO for our WDW trip and then want to return in Miami? We would like to return the day we arrive and then take a shuttle ? to port the morning of the cruise.
3. Which airport when we get back from the cruise? Some on here have said Miami, others FLL.

Thanks so much in advance!:goodvibes

2. Which car rental place would you use? We will pick up at MCO for our WDW trip and then want to return in Miami? We would like to return the day we arrive and then take a shuttle ? to port the morning of the cruise.

Budget has an office about 20 minutes away (7 miles). I don't know if they have a shuttle, but you could probably call them to ask.

3. Which airport when we get back from the cruise? Some on here have said Miami, others FLL.

Whichever one is cheaper. Miami looks about 30 min drive away and FLL is about 45.

Try the cruise critic message boards. I've found a lot of information on the port of Miami there. Happy cruising!:thumbsup2

We are doing the Wonder in April as well-April 4. We are going to probably stay at a Hilton or Marriott since we have points there. Looks like there are LOTS of options within several miles of the port.

I have sailed twice out of Miami on RCCL and I can only help with a couple of your questions. I do suggest checking out the Miami board on Cruise Critic as there are a lot of helpful suggesstions there.
1. Which hotel (s) do you all recommend, we will need one night for 4 people.
For hotel, it really is subjective as there are SOOOO many to choose from. Much, much more than Port Canaveral. Also, it depends on what kind of experience you want. Do you want to stay on the beach, close to the port, just someplace inexpensive to rest your head, or close to the airport.
On one cruise we went the night before and I believe we stayed at a Ritz Carlton. It was nice, connected to a convention center but it was on the train line and we took it down to a shopping center to walk around and get dinner the night before the cruise.

Since I live near Orlando, we have driven to both cruises, but I do feel qualified to answer this question :rotfl2:. I say which ever airport is cheaper. It really doesn't matter. Yes, FLL is not as close, but not so far for it to make a big enough difference. If your flights are both the same price, then go for Miami.

Enjoy sailing out of Miami. In my opinion, if you love to cruise, like we do, you should sail out of Miami at least once. It is absolutely gorgeous. Make sure you are out on deck or on a verandah so that you can see everything as you sail past.

The Holiday Inn at the MARKETPLACE is nice and is VERY close to the port. If fact, it is on a Marina and has several great restaurants and shopping. Five minutes to the port via taxi. Great choice. Enjoy your cruise.

There is a hertz downtown that will shuttle you to the port. There ae many hotels downtown. That is subjective. But the Hyatt is nice and people have stayed at the Holiday Inn Bayside. Bayside is an open area shopping dinning think DTD they also have little tour boats to take you on scenic tours of the rich houses. Miami beach is nice too. You can go for the day and return later to your hotel. Most of Miami will charge you to park your car. Parking at hotels can be as high as $30 a night and downtown parking is pricy as well. Bubba Gumps is a fun area at bayside to eat.

We sailed on Carnival for our honeymoon out of Miami. We flew in AND out of Miami and just took cabs to the hotel the day before and from the hotel to the port the morning of the cruise.

We stayed at they Hyatt Regency Miami and we liked it a lot. Now, I'm a Hyatt employee so I don't know what the normal rate would be. It is downtown Miami and it was about a 25 dollar cab ride from the airport.

It was only about a 5-10 minute drive to the port though and only about 12 bucks cab ride.

The rooms were VERY nice but the restaurant and room service prices (even with the employee discount of 50%) were insane so I would suggest to eat somewhere else.

Miami is beautiful though so Im sure you'll have a wonderful time no matter where you stay!

Hertz has a shuttle and so does Alamo. We dropped our Alamo rental off at the Hotel Intercontinental and they drove us to the port. Hertz had a small rental office that with some notice, took us to the cruise terminal.

We've stayed in South Beach--a little further from the port, but fun to see.

Holiday Inn South Beach and the Royal Palm (right next to the Loews). At the time the Royal Palm was a Crowne Plaza and we had a free night on points. I don't believe they are affiliated with them any longer. Both are nice. Friends of ours just stayed at the Marriott Courtyard--closer to the port, just over the bridge.

If you are driving, you are going to need parking, so do not stay in downtown. Parking in a hotel in downtown will be around $25. The Blue Lagoon area hotels will most like be free, but there is not much to do around the area. I like the Hampton Inn & Suites Miami Airport South Blue Lagoon. They have breakfast included and free Wi-Fi. I also like the Hampton Inn Coconut Grove. Nice hotel with breakfast included, free Wi-Fi and parking and close to CocoWalk for fun. Both hotels have a cruise package with free parking to up to 7 nights and two one-way transportation to POM.

Hi all!

Just booked a cruise on the Wonder going out of Miami this spring. We know NOTHING about Miami, the port, the logistics, or what not.

Can you guys suggest:
1) transportation from airport to hotel
2) hotel near the port
3) transportation to the port?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. can't wait!

If you are flying into FLL, how are you planning to get to the port? We have 3 kiddos so hauling car seats does not sound fun.

If you are flying into FLL, how are you planning to get to the port? We have 3 kiddos so hauling car seats does not sound fun.

When my plan was to fly into FLL, I was planning on taking SAS Transportation from our hotel/airport to the port. They seemed to have the best rates.

But, my plans have changed in that we are now flying into Miami as the airfare was cheaper thru American than thru Southwest to FLL. We'll just use DME for transport to/fro the airport.

Disney hasn't announced any concrete plans to have DME at FLL. Last I heard, they are making a "list" of people to gauge interest.

This is a great thread. We aren't going till next October and are driving. We will probably end up just paying at the cruise terminal, but who knows.

I'd really love to see some pics of the hotels and rooms of places ya'll stay at when you go to Miami.

Hopefully some people will show pics of the cruise terminal and stuff too once the ships start going out of Miami.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter