Official Miami Port Information Thread-5/1 update

I haven't been to Miami In 5 years, so I don't exactly remeber that specific area. But there are several around WDW that don't have a person to pay. You either need exact change or a Sunpass. Your friend might be talking about the express lanes where there are no booths and you just drive and there are sensors above. If you don't have a Sunpass you have to go off to the right and pay the toll to a person. There are a few of these on 528 around the airport in Orlando.

We bought a Sunpass bc both of our parents live 45 mins north of Orlando and we visit often with rental cars. It came to the point where we had to travel with a bag of change to pay the tolls so we bought the Sunpass. This was back in 2006 or 2007, and at the time we had to pay $25 for the Sunpass device. Not sure if its the same 5+ years later, but they do sell them on the turnpikpublicans and a few other places.

I believe if you use a rental car, you can ask for the unpass to be activated for your rental period. You are only charged for each toll, not a daily fee. We just had to be careful bc our Sunpass was charged and then we were charged again by the rental company for the tolls!!

I just did a search and here is the link I found that explains it:

http://www.floridasturnpike.com/all-electronictolling/ESP/FAQs.cfm?SunPass

I guess in 2011 this 'no cash' toll road went into operation, so it sounds like you have to have a Sun Pass to drive on it.

The no cash/SunPass is only a 47 mile stretch of the Florida Turnpike. This is for the southern part of the turnpike.

In February 2011, Florida’s Turnpike Enterprise (FTE) implemented all-electronic, no-cash tolling – a safer, more efficient, seamless method of collecting tolls from customers on the Turnpike segment located between Milepost 0 in Florida City and Milepost 47 at the Miami-Dade/Broward County line.

FTE has always been a leader in the worldwide toll industry, and new technologies now allow the agency to collect tolls electronically from both SunPass and non-SunPass customers while providing a safe, cost effective and efficient transportation system for residents, businesses and visitors.

No other road (the Beachline or 417 that run between WDW and the port) or portions of the FL Turnpike are effected.

I count on all current locals to handle the hotel section questions. I honestly have never stayed overnight in any Miami hotels. With family all over the area, plus living there it just never came up.

So far no one has sent me any info to put in the general areas. I truly had fantastic help from other locals on the Seattle thread.

The rest I can research and post links on.
Does anyone have a specific section they would like me to look into first?

It will be about 2 weeks before things start going up in the Miami thread. Finishing up the tax season--and going to put the final touches on Seattle's threads as they go live for that port in a few weeks. (All the threads there went up in about a week- feel free to pm me to put things there)

Just wanted to let everyone know I have not forgotten you.
NW from the SE

We are cruising on the Wonder's Holiday cruise this December. We fly in the day before and are thinking of staying in the area for a couple days after the cruise. Would love information on where to stay pre-cruise.

We're sailing the EBPC in December. Dh is originally from Miami, and we spend a lot of time there.

The Hertz car rental has a Port of Miami location that will pick up from the Port. Most of the hotels near the airport are fine. We stay at the Embassy suites bc we like the size. It's not far from Miami Beach and much less expensive.

News Café has a great view and is open pretty much all the time. The great Cuban places are close to the beach but you have to know the area.

So glad someone set this up -- on the New Year's Eve cruise out of MIAMI!!! I spoke to DCL ... they really are without information --- I asked about suggestions for pre-cruise hotels --- they took my name and put me on a waitlist but I don't know what hotel the waitlist is for and they told me they would not contact me...that I would have to call back and check if they recommend discounted rooms.... canned that and booked the Marriott - we arrive on the 27th so we are super excited but there is an information shutdown on the part of DCL..... little disappointing but I expect a lot more from them and so far I have never been let down.

So excited to see this thread started. We'll probably end up flying in the day before our March 30, 2013 cruise so I'm really looking forward to info on cheaper hotels near the port. Also I'm guessing it will be cheaper for us to fly into FLL since Southwest doesn't fly into MIA. Trying to determine the cheapest options for us.

Can we maybe sticky this thread so more local people see it and can hopefully join in?

So excited to see this thread started. We'll probably end up flying in the day before our March 30, 2013 cruise so I'm really looking forward to info on cheaper hotels near the port. Also I'm guessing it will be cheaper for us to fly into FLL since Southwest doesn't fly into MIA. Trying to determine the cheapest options for us.

Can we maybe sticky this thread so more local people see it and can hopefully join in?

You might want to start looking at hotels now. We are sailing in February and I booked a room 6 weeks ago and the prices have already gone up $60 a night!!

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a hotel to stay in for the night before a Miami cruise?

I see the airport has a hotel on site, so that is tempting, but I would love to hear what others think or have actually done?

Thanks!
Lee

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a hotel to stay in for the night before a Miami cruise?

I see the airport has a hotel on site, so that is tempting, but I would love to hear what others think or have actually done?

Thanks!
Lee
I've merged your thread with the Miami info thread that has already been started. You can look for info here or check over on www.cruisecritic.com for recommendations.

Hi,

Thanks!
Lee

It depends on what you want to do and when you arrive. We have stayed at the Conrad a few times, the Marriott, the Holiday Inn at the Pier, & the Four Seasons (this was for work!). If you arrive earlier in the day and will be looking for something to do, I would stay downtown so you can do something in the evening. If you arrive late, check out any of the hotels by the airport (so me reviews are better then others) and save a few dollars, as these are usually cheaper.

Hi,

Thanks!
Lee

I just booked the JW Marriott Marquis for a great rate for next March. Tripadvisor has pretty reliable reviews as does CruiseCritic on their ports boards. Good luck in your hotel search!

Does anyone know if you stay at WDW pre or even post cruise can you take WDW transportation to / from the Port of Miami?

I just booked the JW Marriott Marquis for a great rate for next March. Tripadvisor has pretty reliable reviews as does CruiseCritic on their ports boards. Good luck in your hotel search!

Hi there,
Just curious. Did you use a particular site to book the marriott? The best I can get for next March is $529 :eek:
That's more than I paid for Marriott Times Square!
I know people often use other sites, but I'm not familiar with that, so wondered if you did, you might share? :goodvibes
Thanks

Does anyone know if you stay at WDW pre or even post cruise can you take WDW transportation to / from the Port of Miami?

I very much doubt Disney will offer this. As it presently stands they are not even offering transfers from Fort lauderdale Airport, only MIA!

We're actually considering driving from Orlando though with a hire car. The flights are so much cheaper to MCO than Miami, it's a big saving even with car hire. Mapquest says it's about 4 1/2 hours I think, and some nice places to stop on the way.

We live in ft lauderdale and there are some decent lodgings around the ft lauderdale airport. The hyatt place and cambria suites are newly constructed. There is a hilton, Sheraton, holiday inn, courtyard. Stay away from the days inn as it is old and dingy looking. January to April is the height of "the season" as we call it down here when all the snowbirds come down for the warm weather. You need to book early to get a good rate and they are typically higher than any other time of the year except holidays. Hollywood beach is a nice place to stay the night as it has a Broadwalk right on the beach for a stroll or bike ride with shops and restaurants to eat at. It is well patrolled and safe. It is mostly small properties but many are well kept. There is a designation called superior small lodgings that these small properties are awarded based on certain criteria. I do not go to Miami enough to comment on where to stay that is reasonable as south beach is expensive that time of year. Ft lauderdale is a great airport and easier to navigate than MIA and for us is usually cheaper to fly out of. It's about 1/2 hour ride to the port of Miami.

I just booked a suite with the Comfort Suites Miami Airport North. They offer a "Bon Voyage package", we got a 2double bed suite w/full sleeper sofa which includes:
hot breakfast buffet
bottle of wine
free shuttle to and from miami airport and the port of miami
All for $185.32
We like the full hot breakfast buffets instead of the continental breakfasts.So I think it's worth paying a little more for that. I wish they had a Country Inn and Suites near the port. I loved the one at Port Canaveral

We live in ft lauderdale and there are some decent lodgings around the ft lauderdale airport. The hyatt place and cambria suites are newly constructed. There is a hilton, Sheraton, holiday inn, courtyard. Stay away from the days inn as it is old and dingy looking. January to April is the height of "the season" as we call it down here when all the snowbirds come down for the warm weather. You need to book early to get a good rate and they are typically higher than any other time of the year except holidays. Hollywood beach is a nice place to stay the night as it has a Broadwalk right on the beach for a stroll or bike ride with shops and restaurants to eat at. It is well patrolled and safe. It is mostly small properties but many are well kept. There is a designation called superior small lodgings that these small properties are awarded based on certain criteria. I do not go to Miami enough to comment on where to stay that is reasonable as south beach is expensive that time of year. Ft lauderdale is a great airport and easier to navigate than MIA and for us is usually cheaper to fly out of. It's about 1/2 hour ride to the port of Miami.

Thank you SO much for that insiders info. :thumbsup2
With Disney offering no information we're relying on the locals! I'll go check out some of the hotels you mentioned in Fort lauderdale. Seems like a great option.

I just booked a suite with the Comfort Suites Miami Airport North. They offer a "Bon Voyage package", we got a 2double bed suite w/full sleeper sofa which includes:
hot breakfast buffet
bottle of wine
free shuttle to and from miami airport and the port of miami
All for $185.32
We like the full hot breakfast buffets instead of the continental breakfasts.So I think it's worth paying a little more for that. I wish they had a Country Inn and Suites near the port. I loved the one at Port Canaveral

Thanks Dawn for that info too! Great rate and it looks like it's new (or recently renovated?). Even if we fly into FLL, it's a good choice nearer the port. :thumbsup2
Now I just hope we can still do the cruise! Ben's brother recently got engaged and has set the date for next August in Scotland! Nice trip but not sure if we can still swing this cruise too. I'm so looking forward to it though! We will see :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter