OFFICIAL January 2012 5K, Half Marathon, Marathon, Goofy or Dopey Challenge Thread

Congratulations to everyone who ran, and thank you to all the amazing volunteers! I was without my computer for the run-up to the race, and it was killing me not to be reading about all of your training and preparations.

DH and I had a wonderful weekend. The half went great, and DH is officially Goofy.

A few thoughts:

*This is the first time I've been a spectator for the marathon, and what a fantastic experience it was. Yay for Disney transportation: we parked at TTC and saw DH there, outside of AK, and twice in Epcot (at gate where they entered and again at the turn coming from Mexico), and were outside of the bag check area when he came out. I couldn't believe how smoothly it went, and that we got to everywhere we wanted to be so easily.

* Three cheers for the Brazilian gentleman who pulled me out onto the marathon course in Epcot to samba with him. I am a terrible dancer, but that sure was fun!

* At the final turn in Epcot, a woman stopped on the course to say to my 15 year-old DD, "This is YOU in ten years!" DD was wearing a cross country t-shirt, which I guess must have gotten the lady's attention. I wish I could find that lady to tell her that my daughter will definitely remember that forever, and that yes, she has gotten marathon fever. (I will make her wait until she is at least 18 though, for safety.)

*My only complaint for the entire weekend was that the half was far too crowded and at times unsafe. We had to go into the grass several times, and it was uneven and tricky footing.

* Love, love, love the Donald medals! So pretty!

* Message to the guy with the microphone at the turn before the last overpass to Epcot in the half: no fair ripping on somebody's team at the end of the race! He was calling out hometowns, and I said, Clemson, South Carolina. Into his microphone for people to hear a mile away, he said, "Clemson?! I heard they used to have a good football team!" Ouch! After just getting back from the Orange Bowl, that was a zinger! All in good fun, though, and we still love our Tigers. We wore our orange and I had on my Tiger tail too. :)

So many memories, and worth every mile of the training. Can't wait for the next one. Hugs to all of you lovely people.

My wife and I are doing the half on Saturday. I can’t believe I let her talk me into this…we’ve never done running until 3 months ago. We did 8 miles Friday, 9 yesterday (in 1:47-not good but OK considering how tough it’s been to find time to run). We leave Thursday afternoon and arrive Friday afternoon. Staying at Coronado Springs for the 1st time for 3 nights…using the 30% room only discount.

We survived our 1st half marathon. It was a much bigger production than I imagined. Well organized especially considering the number of people. Wow, that was a tons of folks.

We'll probably try the full marathon next time. Only thing I noticed that needed work was the lines for the port-o-crappers. Couldn't really tell which line was for which one and the more aggressive people were jumping ahead by crossing over when someone came out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter