OFFICIAL January 2012 5K, Half Marathon, Marathon, Goofy or Dopey Challenge Thread

I am planning on doing goofy next year. Did the half this year, saw the goofy medal and knew that I had to get one of those next year.

Vertical you've got quite the impressive schedule of races coming up this year.

Thanks. I'll be adding in at least 4 more smaller NYRR races. To have guaranteed entry into the 2012 ING NYC Marathon, I have to do 9 NYRR races as a runner and 1 as a volunteer. Because of the blizzard, everyone who was registered for the Emerald Nuts Midnight Run on 12/13 (or 1/1 depending on how you look at it) got credit for it regardless of if you ran or not (I was stuck in Orlando ringing in the New Year at EPCOT). So with that and the 4 I'm registered for now, that gives me 5. Doing my +1 with a course marshall slot at the Manhattan Half on Saturday. Get that requirement out of the way early!!

I have to admit, I am torn about Chicago. I would LOVE to do it...but I don't think it would be wise that close to the Wine and Dine this year...and I'm not ready to do a half and a full that close together. And since the Wine and Dine happens to fall on the long weekend we have for Rosh Hashanah so I don't HAVE to take a day (though I'll take Monday I'm sure)...I really can't pass that one up. So I guess Chicago will have to wait. Probably until 2013. Oy!

i WAS highly considering it - but now with news that basically nothing from the fantasy land expansion will be ready in time next year's marathon weekend, i might hold off another year. i just don't know!

I am hoping I can do Goofy #3 but will definately in for the half marathon since I am going to be training my niece this year so she can do her first half at Disney. She is so excited (lets see how excited she is to get early on Saturday's to get our runs in - she is a LATE sleeper and I am not running in the dead afternoon heat)

I'm in for the half. :yay: I even booked my resort stay at Pop. Just waiting to sign up for the race...oh and train more. ;)

I did a local half in October and I've been trying to keep my mileage up. My base is at 8 or 9 miles. I plan on upping it in March to get ready for a local half in June.

DH and I are considering challenging each other to get off the couch and just move on a regular basis. It's not so much a weight thing as getting into good condition for the long haul. We're considering a WDW marathon weekend trip as our incentive/reward. Right now we're just gathering info and looking into the 5K or the 1/2. This post is my first foray to get subscribed and gain inspiration from all the WISHers.

gah! i really want to say i'm in for the full next year! i'm doing the princess half next month and my training has been so blah lately with the cold weather and my just general malaise lately that i second guessing myself.

i'm pretty sure i'm in. it's almost the 11 month window for DVC so i will be making reservations for that week. that way i'll force myself to train :):rotfl:

Unless things change this year's full will be my last Disney race for a couple of years. I have so many other ones I want to do and the cost is pretty high. I might aim for the Gasparilla half in 2012 and head over to Disney for a day or two but at least for now my Disney runs are done until, most likely, 2013.

I am in and doing the race again with my dad - the question is whether it will be for the full or the half. I'm convinced it's the full; he's not sure he can handle that distance (even though he's more in shape than I am!)

I'm in for the full! :thumbsup2 The 1/2 was my 1st marathon and boy did it give me the bug! :rotfl: I am signed up for a 1/2 in May and another in October and then will do the Disney full! SUPER excited!

I'm in for the half. :yay: I even booked my resort stay at Pop. Just waiting to sign up for the race...oh and train more. ;)

I did a local half in October and I've been trying to keep my mileage up. My base is at 8 or 9 miles. I plan on upping it in March to get ready for a local half in June.

Did you have to call in to book? I looked online and you can't book into next year yet.. can you tell me what they quoted you? thanks!

DH and I are considering challenging each other to get off the couch and just move on a regular basis. It's not so much a weight thing as getting into good condition for the long haul. We're considering a WDW marathon weekend trip as our incentive/reward. Right now we're just gathering info and looking into the 5K or the 1/2. This post is my first foray to get subscribed and gain inspiration from all the WISHers.

That is exactly what I did one year ago... sitting on the couch, eating ice cream, watching the biggest loser contestants running a marathon.. I said "I CAN do that!" and what better place for a 1st 1/2 then Disney!
So I started the couch to 5 K program... and slowly worked my way up to a few 5k's, the a 10K and then training for the 1/2

YOU CAN DO IT!! :thumbsup2:cheer2::thumbsup2

I'm in for the full! :thumbsup2 The 1/2 was my 1st marathon and boy did it give me the bug! :rotfl: I am signed up for a 1/2 in May and another in October and then will do the Disney full! SUPER excited!

This sounds like ME! I did the 1/2 in Disney this year (my 2nd 1/2)...and am signed up for another 1/2 in May and another in October (are we running the same races? LOL)...with plans to either run the full or goofy next year!

I'm in for my first full in 2012. I ran my 1st half at the inaugural Princess Half two years ago. I will run a half in May and another in October to make sure that I'm in shape and prepared for the full.

Undecided for now. We are planning an WDW extended family trip for the same time and I was hoping everyone would do the 5K, but now it looks like most of the fam won't arrive until sometime on Saturday, so the 5K is out. Jim and I might do the half, especially if there is a special Donald medal. A lot will depend on how expensive it is - we had such a blast cheering for the half and the full this year that we might just do that again.

Did you have to call in to book? I looked online and you can't book into next year yet.. can you tell me what they quoted you? thanks!

I booked with a Disney certified travel agent. My deposit was based on this years rate. From what I understand, you can get a discount & reduced deposit if your TA tells reservations that you are going there for the marathon. Mine didn't and I'm not going to bother to change. I know deals will come out for AP, or military, or even general discounts.

That is exactly what I did one year ago... sitting on the couch, eating ice cream, watching the biggest loser contestants running a marathon.. I said "I CAN do that!" and what better place for a 1st 1/2 then Disney!
So I started the couch to 5 K program... and slowly worked my way up to a few 5k's, the a 10K and then training for the 1/2

YOU CAN DO IT!! :thumbsup2:cheer2::thumbsup2

I was losing weight and walking 2-3 miles a day when I read info in a Prevention magazine about "walking" a half or full marathon. Until that point, I didn't even know that was allowed. I bought a book and started training the next day. 9 1/2 weeks later I completed my first half marathon in 3:37 with me walking the whole thing. Now I'm adding a bit of running and hope to finish a race in June in under 3 hours. You just have to start!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter