***OFFICIAL Grand Floridian Construction Thread (new info!)***

Beach Pool Bar & Grill is now open. Good and varied menu. Pictures here.

Oh and dates were altered a bit.

Sandy Cove Merchandise: August 21 to November 17, 2012
Ivy Trellis Salon: October 20 to December 3, 2012
Gasparilla Grill & Games: September 13 to Mid December, 2012
Courtyard Pool: Mid September to Late December, 2012
The Spa: September 19, 2011 to 2013

We will be at the GF at end of October. Anybody have any pics of the courtyard pool construction? Closure? Is the whole pool hidden? Any garden left? Thanks. We will take a lot of photos and post when we return on Nov. 3rd.

Also, we've always stayed at the Pine Key building (near beach pool). Any recommendations for other buildings we can request where we will be out of construction zone? Maybe where we wouldn't have to see all the courtyard pool construction?? Conch key??

thanks.
di

We will be at the GF at end of October. Anybody have any pics of the courtyard pool construction? Closure? Is the whole pool hidden? Any garden left? Thanks. We will take a lot of photos and post when we return on Nov. 3rd.

Also, we've always stayed at the Pine Key building (near beach pool). Any recommendations for other buildings we can request where we will be out of construction zone? Maybe where we wouldn't have to see all the courtyard pool construction?? Conch key??

thanks.
di

We stayed at Conch Key back in July and it was wonderful. Ask for a view of the marina. You could hear the MK train whistle from the room and you could see the monorail. No sign of construction either.

We stayed at Conch Key back in July and it was wonderful. Ask for a view of the marina. You could hear the MK train whistle from the room and you could see the monorail. No sign of construction either.

Agreed. We also stayed Conch Key in September... It was a beautiful view and so peaceful

That's what I thought. I'm going to try for Conch Key. We have a lagoon view but hoping they will upgrade us.... thanks. I have a feeling it won't be fully booked when we go due to all the construction.

Hi. We are here right now. Of course it is beautiful and everyone is having fun, but there are some construction drawbacks:

1. Gasparilla's is closed. You can eat at the beach bar or get grab'n go items at Mizner's. Neither has a very appealing set of options and I am not sure what happens when it rains because the beach bar is, of course, outdoors. You can have breakfast at the GF Cafe. It will cost about $35 for two.

2. The courtyard pool is closed. It is being made shallower and they are making it zero entry. Right now, everyone is swimming at the feature pool. There is no plan to add another pool for future GF DVC guests. You can't see the beach at the feature pool because there is a wall up. At the moment, there is no beach; it is being used as a construction roadway and sea wall.

3. Alice in Wonderland children's water play area is pretty much completed. It will be open once it is approved by building inspection.

4. Sandy Cove is closed. You can get some sundries at the mercantile upstairs.

I will post some photos once we get home.

Oh yeah, the spa is still closed, but they will chauffeur you to the Saratoga Springs spa which has a very nice selection of services.

I forgot that With Gasparilla's closed, you can also have breakfast at 1900 Park Fare if you want to do the character thing. 1900 is closed for lunch, however.

Just got a phone call from Guest Services. We had reservations (for the past 7 months) at the GF Main Building, Club Level. End of October. Guess what? They are kicking us out!

Due to the construction, they are moving everyone to other buildings. They are putting us in Sugar Loaf, also Club Level.

We are quite disappointed. We love the atmosphere of the Main Building, the piano, the band, everything.

This was to be our 3rd stay at the GF Main Building. I am sure the SL is just as "nice" but it's not the same thing and certainly not what we had in mind when booking.

That is a shame this has happened to you when you where looking forward to staying in your favorite building but even though the sugar loaf will be different for you this time, I think you will be happy I have stayed there in the past and they are great at the Sugar loaf. I wonder what it will be like at the end of November when I will be there! I guess things are changing every day there! Have a wonderful time:)

Oh yeah, the spa is still closed, but they will chauffeur you to the Saratoga Springs spa which has a very nice selection of services.

I forgot that With Gasparilla's closed, you can also have breakfast at 1900 Park Fare if you want to do the character thing. 1900 is closed for lunch, however.

Thank you for the update. We have 3 children under the age of 9 and felt being on the monorail was our best bet... Poly is not for us and the Contemp. didn't have any openings. We have always stayed at GF. We never went to Gasparilla's anyway. I'm hoping the rest of the construction will not be too annoying. Did you still find it enjoyable walking around?? We are mostly at parks during the day. Of the 9 days we stay... we're really only at pool for one or two afternoons.

In your opinion or experience... are you still having a good time?? Is construction more than anticipated? I don't know if it's too late to switch resorts (our second option was Beach Club but pain to get to MK). Thoughts?? We have already paid and have Lagoon view(we had to book two connecting rooms). Curious if outer buildings away from construction will be avail. Sorry a lot of questions.
d

Hi. We are here right now. Of course it is beautiful and everyone is having fun, but there are some construction drawbacks:

1. Gasparilla's is closed. You can eat at the beach bar or get grab'n go items at Mizner's. Neither has a very appealing set of options and I am not sure what happens when it rains because the beach bar is, of course, outdoors. You can have breakfast at the GF Cafe. It will cost about $35 for two.

How bad is it with Gasparilla's closed? No covered seating to eat at close by? Are there Mickey waffles available for breakfast (a big deal for my DD)? How about refillable mug choices...hot chocolate? Is there only one soda/coffee station? Is pizza or chicken tenders available for lunch/dinner? How about Mickey ears ice cream? Sorry for so many questions but if most of these things are not available we will need to change resorts. We will be there 2nd week of November.

How bad is it with Gasparilla's closed? No covered seating to eat at close by? Are there Mickey waffles available for breakfast (a big deal for my DD)? How about refillable mug choices...hot chocolate? Is there only one soda/coffee station? Is pizza or chicken tenders available for lunch/dinner? How about Mickey ears ice cream? Sorry for so many questions but if most of these things are not available we will need to change resorts. We will be there 2nd week of November.

I believe guests now have the option to use QS credits at the Beach Pool Bar Grill (newly opened) or at Mizner's Lounge which now has EVERYTHING (literally check WDWMagic for pictures) that Gasparilla did.

One problem is if you are on the dining plan.. and you want an ice cream as a dessert.. you can't get it at the beach pool... and I do believe the refills on the mugs can only be done at the beach bar and won't be open 24/7

So Mizner's has the same menu that Gasparilla had? Is there in door seating available? Can you refill the mugs there too?

So Mizner's has the same menu that Gasparilla had? Is there in door seating available? Can you refill the mugs there too?

A bar with a refillable mug would be even more fun -- talk about the happiest place on earth!

Tom

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter