***OFFICIAL Grand Floridian Construction Thread (new info!)***

Does anyone know if the walk to the healthclub is interrupted?

The walk to the health club is on the path to the Poly, which is still open. Jungle Cruiser posted above that the walls continue past the Wedding Chapel, but you can at least get there.

Here is a link to the photos on Mousesteps of the walk from the GF to the Poly (actually, it may be the Poly to GF), posted May 6 of this year. http://www.mousesteps.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=813&Itemid=77

If anyone has any pictures or videos of the construction, please post them here. I am changing the name of this thread to better reflect this discussion. Again, if you have any information or graphics regarding the construction at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, please post them on this thread.

Sorry for the double post, but does anyone know what they are doing to the Pool Bar? Apparently, work began on it sometime in April and several sites are saying it should be wrapping up soon. Are they just "retouching" it or is it something greater? Any information, thoughts, rumors, and opinions are appreciated.

Thanks for creating this thread. I will stay tuned for more Grand gossip. I'm sincerely hoping this won't impact our September RPC TPV stay too much. But, I guess if the GF gets a facelift, there is bound to b some initial bruising.

I have a reservation for a deluxe room in RPC this June so I called to speak with management about what to expect regarding construction.

I was told the work around the pool area would continue thru the end of Aug. Then a new project would begin that MIGHT entail adding to the existing pool to create a shared pool for the DVC and creating a new childrens water feature area. Worst case I was told that due to the RPC deluxe rooms facing that area that there is a possibility those rooms may be removed from inventory should they decide the work is too intrusive.

So in short it sounds as though the work will only become more intrusive before it gets better. We are there for 11 nights so I wanted to be prepared.

We probably all agree that these improvements (pros & cons of DVC notwithstanding) will be good in the end but that we don't want them in-progress during out stays.

I'm staying mid-April, 2013. I'll keep an eye on this thread to keep updated on the second phase of the beach pool construction. It would be a real bummer if it was out-of-commission during our stay. We actually chose GF over Poly because I'm concerned about the Poly DVC work that might be going on next spring.

Thanks for starting and filling this thread!!!

Just wondering. Does anyone know what they're doing to the Pool Bar?

Thanks for this thread!! I will definitely be following!

Is the path to the Poly still open?

Thank you so much for this thread, I was about to book the GF for DD's 21st Birthday, we are coming from the UK and I really want it be special for her, think I need to look at another resort :(

I just got off the phone with a CM AT GF (not from a reservation center) who was quite informed on the project. She told me that the construction will continue through the end of 2013 until the wing opens. That being said, the "walls" will be moving in TWO to THREE weeks once work on the Beach Pool Bar is completed. She said they would "touching it up" and reworking some pipes or something, but that part of it will be completed within three weeks.

I asked about the beach and she said that, currently, most of the beach is closed to lay some or pipes or something (she didn't know what), but that was "near complete" and they were planning on opening that up soon. She said most likely (not 100% sure) by the end of June, so just in time for us and all the fourth of July travelers. The only part of the beach that will remain "walled-off" will be the portion in front of the Beach Pool!

I just got off the phone with a CM AT GF (not from a reservation center) who was quite informed on the project. She told me that the construction will continue through the end of 2013 until the wing opens. That being said, the "walls" will be moving in TWO to THREE weeks once work on the Beach Pool Bar is completed. She said they would "touching it up" and reworking some pipes or something, but that part of it will be completed within three weeks.

I asked about the beach and she said that, currently, most of the beach is closed to lay some or pipes or something (she didn't know what), but that was "near complete" and they were planning on opening that up soon. She said most likely (not 100% sure) by the end of June, so just in time for us and all the fourth of July travelers. The only part of the beach that will remain "walled-off" will be the portion in front of the Beach Pool!

So does this mean that they will removing the fence along the walkway that goes to the pool as well as the pool bar cover up? That would be really cool if they did. I wouldn't mind the fence along the beach pool if that's all there was. We will be there in 23 days.

So does this mean that they will removing the fence along the walkway that goes to the pool as well as the pool bar cover up? That would be really cool if they did. I wouldn't mind the fence along the beach pool if that's all there was. We will be there in 23 days.

I sounded to me, based on what this CM told me, that the two areas (beach/pool bar and DVC Construction) were only loosely related construction-wise. It seemed like it walls would be arranged similar to the aerial shot in the first point with may be a bit more of the beach blocked off.

I sounded to me, based on what this CM told me, that the two areas (beach/pool bar and DVC Construction) were only loosely related construction-wise. It seemed like it walls would be arranged similar to the aerial shot in the first point with may be a bit more of the beach blocked off.

Very good. Thank you. I mean it would be nice if it were down by the time we arrived but we know what to expect ahead of time. We are happy just to be staying at the GF again.

thank you so much for posting this thread! We originally had decided against staying at the GF for our trip next June, but after much consideration, we decided that we're still going to go to the GF. (it's hard to say no!) :love:

For us, we loved the quiet pool, so that's probably where we'll hang out instead of the beach pool...other than that, it doesn't seem like a huge inconvenience. And for us, anyway, being on the monorail is WONDERFUL!!! I have a feeling that by next June, there's going to be alot that's completed on the exterior. (I'm sure the walls will probably still be up )

This is a terrific thread to keep watching the progress! :thumbsup2

Thanks for the updated info, good to know there's light at the end of the tunnel...it's just gonna take a while;)

Is there any news/photos/scoop/dates on upcoming pool(s) refurb, walls coming down , DVC construction in general?

Mostly bumping but I love the updates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter