Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

He loves angel food cake, but I don't see that as an option and I haven't had a chance to call yet when he isn't around. Also, we will be staying at GF and eating there at least once (including dinner on his actual birthday), which seemed good at first since they apparently have the most options, but it seems like folks here have had some trouble working with the team there. Should I go with a different location? I don't need any particular theming but we probably only need a 6" cake and I'd like to be able to customize the flavors. Here is our current TS dining schedule:

Day 1 (hubby's actual bday) 1900 Park Fare dinner
Day 2 Chefs de France dinner
Day 3 50s Primetime late lunch
Day 4 The Wave
Day 5 Be Our Guest

Welcome! :wave2:

It's worth trying the GF since that will be his actual birthday and sometimes people get lucky working with the Private Dining contact there. Angel food cake is not a standard offering and it may throw them for a loop when you ask, so ask reeeeeeally nicely. Usually they try to steer you toward the basic flavors listed in Post #2, and it could be that for some reason they can't make angel food cake, but it's always worth trying! Otherwise, your next best bet is the Wave because the Contemporary is usually pretty accommodating of custom cake requests. Or an off-site bakery that will deliver, like It's Tasty Too or Sprinkles Custom Cakes. They'll be more open to something like angel food cake, too, so that might be the best way to go.

Hello everyone, I am wondering if anyone has had a grumpy dwarf cake before or has any ideas for one. I am staying at the contemporary for my sons 5th birthday in may and he is obsessed with the mine train roller coaster and grumpy. I have a reservation at Chef Mickeys and am going to call the bakery there just was wondering if anyone had this theme or any ideas.

Here's a Grumpy cake made by the Contemporary a few years ago (the guest added the "29 again" sign when the cake arrived):

It's worth trying the GF since that will be his actual birthday and sometimes people get lucky working with the Private Dining contact there. Angel food cake is not a standard offering and it may throw them for a loop when you ask, so ask reeeeeeally nicely. Usually they try to steer you toward the basic flavors listed in Post #2, and it could be that for some reason they can't make angel food cake, but it's always worth trying! Otherwise, your next best bet is the Wave because the Contemporary is usually pretty accommodating of custom cake requests. Or an off-site bakery that will deliver, like It's Tasty Too or Sprinkles Custom Cakes. They'll be more open to something like angel food cake, too, so that might be the best way to go.

Here's a Grumpy cake made by the Contemporary a few years ago (the guest added the "29 again" sign when the cake arrived):

Thank you so much for getting back with me I really like that and I can always add a little something if needed

If I'm ordering a cake to surprise a friend that will be at WDW, can I pay for it in full or is the charge going to be added to their room?

Thanks! So when I call the cake line, I should ask for GF first?

HA I follow the cake chatter threads and was surprised to click on this today and see my grumpy cake pictured in a post by lurkeyloo! I feel so special now!!

That cake was from December of 2015 and was quite delicious.

If I'm ordering a cake to surprise a friend that will be at WDW, can I pay for it in full or is the charge going to be added to their room?

The charge is added to the room. Even when they tell you that you can pay up front, people have reported here that it ended up being charged to the room anyway.

Thanks! So when I call the cake line, I should ask for GF first?

Use the phone number in Post #2 to call the Grand Floridian directly. ;)

HA I follow the cake chatter threads and was surprised to click on this today and see my grumpy cake pictured in a post by lurkyloo! I feel so special now!!

That cake was from December of 2015 and was quite delicious.

Thank you so much for sharing your photo! That is the beauty of the DIS, being able to help each other out by sharing our experiences! :goodvibes

Thought you guys would get a kick out of this Maleficent-themed mini cake ordered by a Facebook pal who gave me permission to post the info here!

Maleficent%20Mini%20Cake_zpsl5llp11l.jpg

• Price: $50
  • Location: Ordered from the Contemporary to be delivered to Hoop de Doo, but the cake never made it. Later that night, they had it delivered to her at the Poly bungalows at no extra charge.
  • Cake info: Vanilla cake with white chocolate mousse filling

I'm wanting to order a Haunted Mansion theme custom cake. Which resorts or parks are linked to a bakery that will do this theme? Is it only available in restaurants serviced by Contemporary or Grand Floridian bakeries? I'm flexible on restaurant locations for the birthday meal but really need a Haunted Mansion cake! Do any do the figurine with the Hitchhiking Ghosts?

I'm wanting to order a Haunted Mansion theme custom cake. Which resorts or parks are linked to a bakery that will do this theme? Is it only available in restaurants serviced by Contemporary or Grand Floridian bakeries? I'm flexible on restaurant locations for the birthday meal but really need a Haunted Mansion cake! Do any do the figurine with the Hitchhiking Ghosts?
I had a Haunted Mansion mini cake at Yachtman's Steakhouse.
IMG_1441.JPG
This is the top layer. I believe they can do an edible image of the ghosts on a bigger cake.

Disney hasn't created an approved white chocolate figurine of the Hitchhiking Ghosts, but they could do a standing screen print on white chocolate. Your best bets are any place serviced by the Grand Floridian, the Contemporary or the Yacht & Beach Club pastry teams. I haven't seen a lot of Haunted Mansion cakes done by BoardWalk Bakery, but maybe that would work too.

So I've been trying to plan cakes for my girls and we'll be at Crystal Palace on their bday, so I emailed the new MK email and asked for a picture. I think it looks great!! I just ordered 2 for our trip next month!

Attachments

• TCP.PNG
    TCP.PNG
    727.5 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
I've only seen it offered as a chocolate cake. I did see one version where instead of ganache they piped frosting onto it, but that was one random picture I saw some time ago. I don't think they are in the habit of offering this in other flavors.

I was able to order a Mickey head cake with chocolate ganache on the outside but vanilla cake and frosting inside in Jan '16. I wanted the vanilla cake since our DD was just one at the time and vanilla cake is less messy. We just didn't give her the chocolate ganache :) We had it at Hollywood & Vine. It was so cute and delicious! We were a party of 10 and had leftovers.

Disney hasn't created an approved white chocolate figurine of the Hitchhiking Ghosts, but they could do a standing screen print on white chocolate. Your best bets are any place serviced by the Grand Floridian, the Contemporary or the Yacht & Beach Club pastry teams. I haven't seen a lot of Haunted Mansion cakes done by BoardWalk Bakery, but maybe that would work too.

Do you think the bakery at Animal Kindgdom Lodge would be able to do a Haunted Mansion theme with the standing screen print of the Hitchhiking Ghosts?

So I've been trying to plan cakes for my girls and we'll be at Crystal Palace on their bday, so I emailed the new MK email and asked for a picture. I think it looks great!! I just ordered 2 for our trip next month!

It looks like your image didn't post. If you want to private message me, I can post it for you!

Do you think the bakery at Animal Kindgdom Lodge would be able to do a Haunted Mansion theme with the standing screen print of the Hitchhiking Ghosts?

I have seen them do fairly elaborate cakes in the last few years, so it *should* be possible but it's really going to depend on the pastry chef. Definitely give them a call and ask for her email address!

Reactions: TJA
When you order a cake and they charge it to the room, that just appears on your bill at the end of the trip right? Also, do they put it up anywhere on your online account details? (My account is linked with the birthday boy's and don't want him to see anything)

It has been a few years since we ordered a cake. Back in the day, to be allowed to order the strawberries and custard filling the cake had to be a minimum of 10". Does anyone know if that is still true? Because we have thrown out A LOT of uneaten cake just to get the flavor combination we wanted. We are going in September, staying at AKL. We are celebrating DH's 50th birthday and our 25th anniversary, so I thought I would have a cake delivered either to Jiko or the room. If we have to do 10" we will, but I would prefer not!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter