Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

Has anyone done a gender reveal cake through Disney? Would love to hear if this is possible and see any pictures :)

I got the Contemporary to make me a cake that was pink inside! Granted, it was a re-creation of the cake at the end of the Winnie the Pooh ride, not a gender-reveal cake, but.... this is what it looked like, for reference:

IMG_6626.jpg

IMG_6640.jpg

IMG_6636.jpg

The only catch is, it can be pretty difficult to work directly with the person baking your cake, and even then, communication is sometimes lacking. And then there are the mixups where the cake arrives and it isn't the right flavors/colors, or the server spoils the surprise of there being a cake or doesn't even know you're supposed to have a cake. I dunno if I'd entrust a secret like that to this process. Maybe I'd use an outside vendor like It's Tasty Too or Sprinkles Custom Cakes, since you have much more direct communication with the person making your cake.

I got the Contemporary to make me a cake that was pink inside! Granted, it was a re-creation of the cake at the end of the Winnie the Pooh ride, not a gender-reveal cake, but.... this is what it looked like, for reference:

IMG_6626.jpg

IMG_6640.jpg

IMG_6636.jpg

The only catch is, it can be pretty difficult to work directly with the person baking your cake, and even then, communication is sometimes lacking. And then there are the mixups where the cake arrives and it isn't the right flavors/colors, or the server spoils the surprise of there being a cake or doesn't even know you're supposed to have a cake. I dunno if I'd entrust a secret like that to this process. Maybe I'd use an outside vendor like It's Tasty Too or Sprinkles Custom Cakes, since you have much more direct communication with the person making your cake.
Thanks for the input! That is a valid point as one of our cakes last trip did have the completely wrong color frosting :)

I had the same thought about the gender reveal cake. Although we havent had any big issues with our cakes I've read enough reports of mistakes that I might be a little hesitant for something that would be so important.

Disney finally has photos of all the new specialty desserts offered at the restaurants of the Magic Kingdom! Here's all the information...

Magic Kingdom Specialty Desserts
Custom celebration cakes are no longer available for delivery inside Magic Kingdom. Instead, your options are the standard podium cake, a large Mickey Mouse cake or one of the following specialty desserts unique to each table-service location.
Note: According to Disney's official PDF and the form email they send you, each dessert is exclusive to one restaurant and cannot be ordered at another dining location. Your mileage may vary...

Be Our Guest*
Trio of Mini Cupcakes
Three mini cupcakes: a Grey Stuff cupcake, a Triple Chocolate cupcake, and a Strawberry cupcake. Presented with a chocolate rose filled with the Grey Stuff filling and a "Happy Birthday," "Happy Anniversary," or "Congratulations" chocolate piece.
* Available at dinner only
Specialty%20Dessert%20-%20Be%20Our%20Guest_zpsqsaxhwws.png

Cinderella's Royal Table
Chocolate Mousse Cake (Gluten Friendly)
Chocolate cake with chocolate mousse, covered with a chocolate ganache. Presented with a strawberry and your choice of a dark chocolate slipper, a white chocolate slipper, or a white chocolate crown, all filled with a chocolate mousse and decorated with a "Happy Birthday," "Happy Anniversary," or "Congratulations" chocolate piece.
New%20CRT%20Desserts_zpst8hqybg5.png

The Crystal Palace
Honey Crunch Cake
Vanilla cake with honey mousse, topped with a honey crunch and a honey comb-accented chocolate piece. Presented with a strawberry and a "Happy Birthday," "Happy Anniversary," or "Congratulations" chocolate piece.
Specialty%20Dessert%20-%20Crystal%20Palace_zpsstaxeze5.png

Jungle Skipper Canteen
Chocolate Lava Cake
Chocolate cake with caramel ganache and chocolate crispy pearls. Presented with a white chocolate elephant filled with a caramel mousse and a "Happy Birthday," "Happy Anniversary," or "Congratulations" chocolate piece.
Specialty%20Dessert%20-Jungle%20Cruise%20Skipper%20Canteen_zpsioctt49e.png

Liberty Tree Tavern
Boston Cream Pie
Vanilla cake with vanilla cream filling, covered in a chocolate ganache and chocolate crispy pearls. Presented with a strawberry, a chocolate Liberty Bell, and a "Happy Birthday," "Happy Anniversary," or "Congratulations" chocolate piece.
Specialty%20Dessert%20-%20Liberty%20Tree%20Tavern_zpstvfkfh3l.png

Tony's Town Square

Tiramisu
Kahlua Espresso-soaked ladyfingers with whipped mascarpone cheese. Presented with a strawberry, Lady and the Tramp chocolate accents and a "Happy Birthday," "Happy Anniversary," or "Congratulations" chocolate piece.
Specialty%20Dessert%20-%20Tonys%20Tavern_zpsujtx0kbi.png

Wishes Fireworks Dessert Party
Miniature Cake
Chocolate cake with mocha buttercream icing or a vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream icing, covered in dark chocolate or pink pearls. Presented with a chocolate Castle piece and a "Happy Birthday," "Happy Anniversary," or "Congratulations" chocolate piece.
Specialty%20Dessert%20-%20Wishes%20Dessert%20Party_zps7tqm4xar.png

Podium Cake
6-inch round cake available in either all-vanilla or all-chocolate; can be decorated with a chocolate medallion. Serves up to 6 people and costs $23 plus tax.
Podium%20Cakes_zps7nrcr9ob.png

Mickey Mouse Cake
Serves 10-12. Chocolate cake with a dark chocolate ganache on top.Costs $54 plus tax and can be decorated with a “Happy Birthday,” “Happy Anniversary” or “Congratulations” chocolate piece.
Mickey%20Head%20Cake_zpstvs7507n.png

To place an order, contact WDW.Magic.Kingdom.Specialty.Desserts@Disney.com with your dining confirmation number and your order details at least 72 hours prior to your reservation. You will receive a confirmation email once your order has been placed. Payment for any add-ons is not due until you dine. No prepayment or third-party payment. Office hours: Monday-Saturday 8:00am-4:00pm (ET); allow up to 72 hours for a response.

We are planning to have our cake delivered on the second night of our stay. However, we are doing a split stay and switching resorts the next day. Bell services will be moving our luggage. I'm certain there will be leftover cake. Question is, will they transport the boxed up cake with our luggage? I know they have rules about delivering and holding food ect..

We are planning to have our cake delivered on the second night of our stay. However, we are doing a split stay and switching resorts the next day. Bell services will be moving our luggage. I'm certain there will be leftover cake. Question is, will they transport the boxed up cake with our luggage? I know they have rules about delivering and holding food ect..

They moved our wedding cake happily and refrigerated it... but they stored the box upside down. YMMV.

Disney finally has photos of all the new specialty desserts offered at the restaurants of the Magic Kingdom! Here's all the information...

Jungle Skipper Canteen
Chocolate Lava Cake
Chocolate cake with caramel ganache and chocolate crispy pearls. Presented with a white chocolate elephant filled with a caramel mousse and a "Happy Birthday," "Happy Anniversary," or "Congratulations" chocolate piece.
Specialty%20Dessert%20-Jungle%20Cruise%20Skipper%20Canteen_zpsioctt49e.png

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

IMG_2916.JPG Do you think Animal Kingdom Lodge can make this zebra some cake allergy safe for a peanut allergy? I've read the recipe for Zevra Domes and they are nut free. Also would Contemporary Bakery be able to recreate this cake or is it exclusive to AKL?

I probably should have posted this cake back when we had it made for my husband's birthday in 2015 but didn't get around to it until now, so I don't remember all of the details like price and flavors. However, I will tell you that it took about a month to get this design approved by the Yacht Club/Disney since this cake is not one of their original creations. I had it delivered during our meal at the Yachtsman Steakhouse. Our cake was inspired by the movie 'Up' and features Dug the dog who is my husband's favorite character and includes a cute take on one of Dug's lines. The images of Dug and the house are from their available image files so that helped me fill in the gaps of how I wanted the rest of the cake to look.

up_cake_gemologygal.jpg

Thanks for the input! That is a valid point as one of our cakes last trip did have the completely wrong color frosting :)

We did a gender reveal in WDW!

The cake was presented in Chef Mickeys. The inside was HOT PINK. I don't remember who I dealt when I ordered the cake but it was perfect and exactly as I described it. (A friend had called and told him to make it pink)

The only negative was -- when we checked into our table and sat down, the hostess left the cake order form on the table and my husband saw "PINK CAKE". So he knew before me.

As a second option, for our second baby we ordered balloons from Disney Floral. They arranged balloons in a box with a giant bow. We opened up the box in front of Cinderella's castle. Everyone loved it!

We did a gender reveal in WDW!

The cake was presented in Chef Mickeys. The inside was HOT PINK. I don't remember who I dealt when I ordered the cake but it was perfect and exactly as I described it. (A friend had called and told him to make it pink)

The only negative was -- when we checked into our table and sat down, the hostess left the cake order form on the table and my husband saw "PINK CAKE". So he knew before me.

As a second option, for our second baby we ordered balloons from Disney Floral. They arranged balloons in a box with a giant bow. We opened up the box in front of Cinderella's castle. Everyone loved it!
love this balloon idea!
We are really hoping we will be pregnant for our trip and thought it would be fun to do some kind of gender reveal at Disney for our son. I have no patience so I will need to know the results as soon as the blood test comes back :) but we could hold out on sharing the news with him as a surprise...and to share with facebook.

IMG_3638.JPG

6" chocolate cake with dark chocolate mousse filling and with buttercream.
Yacht Club private dining for Illuminations Cruise
$53.00
The cake was delicious and wonderfully decorated with the limited directions I gave (red and Mickey Mouse).
DH was surprised and loved it!

Does anyone know if a cake or special dessert would be able to be delivered to Nomad Lounge?

Theoretically it's the same as ordering a cake to Tiffins, but it might be trickier since you won't have an ADR number to associate the order with. I'd call the number for Animal Kingdom cakes and ask.

I've been thinking about ordering a Goofy cake for older DS's 13th birthday in November. We'll be eating at Chef Mickey that night. (He loves Goofy--he has a development disability and is younger than his years; all the characters are still SO magical to him! :D )

Does anyone have Goofy cake pics to share?

Here's my report from 2015 with photos!

Thanks so much to lurkyloo and everyone else for all the great advice on this thread! We loved our Goofy-themed cake - ordered from the Contemporary and served at Chef Mickey's. We worked with Brian and Donald via e-mail and then ordered via phone.

The details:
6" vanilla cake with vanilla frosting
blue fondant with mickey head balloons
hand-painted chocolate Goofy on top

The cost:
We paid $74, minus TIW discount but + tip. It would have been $68 if we went with buttercream frosting instead of fondant.

The serving size:
I'm so glad we went with the 6" cake - it easily served our party of seven and we had a couple pieces left over.

The taste:
The cake was fine - we're not huge cake fans in the first place. But the fondant was outstanding - my favorite part! And the white chocolate goofy on top was yummy and so big that it lasted a very long time.

Additional info and value:
I'm also really glad we went with fondant. It looked great and the photos don't do it justice. When we checked in for our Chef Mickey's ADR, the CM seating us was very excited - she said she picked up the cake and remembered it. In fact, she told us she took a photo of it and sent it to her parents. Loved the enthusiasm!

Because we're not huge cake fans, I didn't expect to feel like this was a good value. But the final product was so well done, and it brought so much joy to our birthday boy that it was completely worth the price. I'm already thinking about what we can celebrate next that requires a cake. Might go with a mini cake next time, but will definitely plan to order a custom cake again!

Here's my report from 2015 with photos!

Thanks so much to lurkyloo and everyone else for all the great advice on this thread! We loved our Goofy-themed cake - ordered from the Contemporary and served at Chef Mickey's. We worked with Brian and Donald via e-mail and then ordered via phone.

Fabulous! Thanks for sharing all this detail. The Contemporary did a great job painting Goofy!

After reading through posts, I'm getting the impression that only the Contemporary delivers cakes to WL. Is that true? I really like the cake quality of those I've seen done by Pat at 1900 Park Fare. Does anyone know if they deliver to WL also? By the way, any Peter Pan cake photos out there anyone would like to share? Thanks in advance!

After reading through posts, I'm getting the impression that only the Contemporary delivers cakes to WL. Is that true? I really like the cake quality of those I've seen done by Pat at 1900 Park Fare. Does anyone know if they deliver to WL also? By the way, any Peter Pan cake photos out there anyone would like to share? Thanks in advance!

If you want it delivered to WL you're going to be working with the Contemporary and their amazing bakery team. If you're set on working with Pat at the GF book an ADR there and order the cake for that meal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter