*~~Official December 2016 Thread~~*

Thank you! I had no idea it was so big.

You are welcome! Since you mentioned visiting Disneyland previously, I thought I'd bring up the size issue. It can seem overwhelming, but the onsite transportation is pretty reliable. Find a crowd calendar you are comfortable with (I prefer using Josh's at EasyWDW) to pick park days, make yourself familiar with booking dining and fast passes, and prepare to have fun! The best plans are loose plans, in my opinion. Choose your must do activities, and treat everything else as icing on the cake. I also find it helps to look at a park map and work around each park in loop, so you aren't criss crossing.

Have fun with the planning, and don't stress out. There is SO MUCH information available, and it does seem daunting, but it's not as hard as it looks, I promise. The most important thing is to make memories with your family and for your son to have an amazing birthday trip :-)

Hello Everyone! I'm starting to plan my Dec 2016 trip! Everyone thinks I'm crazy to plan so far in advance, but coming from Los Angeles, so it'll be a big trip. We are looking to go the 26th to the 2nd! I've never been to WDW for the holidays and even though I know it'll be really busy, I can't wait!

But first things first! Booking the trip. It'll be 6 of us (ages 31,43, 20, 19, 16 and 12) total. We are looking at the following:

- two rooms at POP
- a two bedroom villa at OKW
- a cabin at FW.

Which would you guys choose? Thanks in advance for the help!

It's never too early to plan/book a trip. We have ours booked for December 16th, 2016.

I'm not sure of the make up of your group (ages and such). But if you are 2 adults and 4 young kids I would not recommend 2 rooms at POP. You are not guaranteed connecting rooms and I have heard too many instances of adults being split up the entire trip. If you are 2 separate families, or have older children then that would work.

Between the other 2 I would do OKW. The layout of the cabins have never appealed to me. And a 2 BR would give you more space and privacy if needed. Also you may look into renting DVC points. It would be cheaper if you decide to do the 2 BR.

December 16th-22nd, 2016!
We haven't officially booked yet because pre booking while trying to get FD was a nightmare. Also not using a TA...if I do it will be Dreams Unlimited. This past trip I had a coworker who is a TA book everything for me and that doesn't work out real well when they have a full time job. They didn't have time the day FD dropped and it would have been easier for me to have just stayed up all night. Long story short...if I have a TA I want to be their only job!:P
I literally started planning this trip the day after we got home. There was a lot of back and forth about time between trips, when was the best time to go, ect. We decided we didn't want to take our kids out of school again because it was such a pain to get them caught up and do the work while we were there. Then Rick Bayless announced his new restaurant, couple that with not wanting to have my face melt off again...December it is!
Dh is not totally sold yet but if I can score FD for December I have $200 mad money saved away to book it :-)

Hi All:

Jumping on. BDLsgal and I are planning a 10 day trip in Dec 2016. I was a previous follower/contributor to the Dec. 2010, Dec. 2012, Dec. 2014 threads, and have found that these threads are a great source of information, opinions, insight and, occassionally psycho- therapy :crazy2: .

We will be staying at Port Orleans Riverside. We love it there. It's our home away from home... but without the distractions ;) . Very serene, with a great food court and even better restaurant. And it has a great indoors lounge and poolside bar that are perfect places for me to watch the Pats or Bruins beat their opponents.

We plan on attending at least 1 Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. We enjoy resort hopping to see how the other resorts ate dec'd out for the holidays. We really enjoy the Candlelight Processional (so far we have seen Whoopi Goldberg, Blair Underwood and Edward James Olmos), and take advantage of the dining combo. We love taking in the different holidays and shows at the World Showcase at EPCOT. Unfortunately, my favorite thing about Christmas time at Disney won't be this trip. Next year, will be the 1st year without the Osbourne Lights. No matter how many times I saw it, just being immersed in it is something else entirely. But I am looking forward to seeing how they will decorate the newly refurb'd Disney Springs.

Ohhh... And by the way, this trip will be BDLgal's and my Disney-moon. We got married 2 weeks ago and decided to hold off til next year to go anywhere and go all out and do it right.

I look forward to seeing everyone's plans and schemes. And StitchFan75, if you have AAA, I recommend using them as much as you can. I have used my AAA agent for our past 3 trips (1 trip I was the point person for a bigger group), and I rave about them up and down. Just something you might want to look into.

Hi there! We are planning our Dec 2016 trip! I am travelling with my husband and daughter (she will be 6 going on 7). They have both never been to Disney. I went when I was 4 (barely remember it) and then again at 18. We plan to stay onsite.

Right now we are trying to choose where to stay! We are torn between Beach club (mainly for easy access to Epcot, HS, and breakfast at Cape Cay and the onsite kids club for my daughter) or Port Orleans Riverside (I've heard the food is good and theming is great) or Pop Century (mainly because of price). We can afford the price of Beach club but I sometimes wonder if it's worth the extra money or not (because we could spend it on something else instead!) I think my main concern is I've heard bus service between resorts can be pretty bad, and staying at Beach club would mean we're only relying on busses for MK and AK. I've never stayed onsite so if anyone can weigh in that would be awesome.

Going for a week in the first week of December because of low crowds so I hear :)

Well we did it and have booked for 12/9 to 12/19. We would love to go at least a week sooner but my niece will have finals that week. Now I should get back to work. No, I would rather plan this vacation. Welcome to all the newer members of the thread. Cant wait for this vacation!!!! Lois

Hope all are having an enjoyable week end. This is just a post to bump us upon the first page. Cannot wait for December of Next year!!!!!!

Hi All:

Jumping on. BDLsgal and I are planning a 10 day trip in Dec 2016. I was a previous follower/contributor to the Dec. 2010, Dec. 2012, Dec. 2014 threads, and have found that these threads are a great source of information, opinions, insight and, occassionally psycho- therapy :crazy2: .

We will be staying at Port Orleans Riverside. We love it there. It's our home away from home... but without the distractions ;) . Very serene, with a great food court and even better restaurant. And it has a great indoors lounge and poolside bar that are perfect places for me to watch the Pats or Bruins beat their opponents.

We plan on attending at least 1 Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. We enjoy resort hopping to see how the other resorts ate dec'd out for the holidays. We really enjoy the Candlelight Processional (so far we have seen Whoopi Goldberg, Blair Underwood and Edward James Olmos), and take advantage of the dining combo. We love taking in the different holidays and shows at the World Showcase at EPCOT. Unfortunately, my favorite thing about Christmas time at Disney won't be this trip. Next year, will be the 1st year without the Osbourne Lights. No matter how many times I saw it, just being immersed in it is something else entirely. But I am looking forward to seeing how they will decorate the newly refurb'd Disney Springs.

Ohhh... And by the way, this trip will be BDLgal's and my Disney-moon. We got married 2 weeks ago and decided to hold off til next year to go anywhere and go all out and do it right.

I look forward to seeing everyone's plans and schemes. And StitchFan75, if you have AAA, I recommend using them as much as you can. I have used my AAA agent for our past 3 trips (1 trip I was the point person for a bigger group), and I rave about them up and down. Just something you might want to look into.

Welcome to the thread!!

My hope is that they will find a new home for the Osborne Lights next year...it's the only thing keeping me from being completely devastated that we chose next Christmas as opposed to this one.

Congratulations on your marriage! So exciting! A Disneymoon is worth waiting for :):)

Hi there! We are planning our Dec 2016 trip! I am travelling with my husband and daughter (she will be 6 going on 7). They have both never been to Disney. I went when I was 4 (barely remember it) and then again at 18. We plan to stay onsite.

Right now we are trying to choose where to stay! We are torn between Beach club (mainly for easy access to Epcot, HS, and breakfast at Cape Cay and the onsite kids club for my daughter) or Port Orleans Riverside (I've heard the food is good and theming is great) or Pop Century (mainly because of price). We can afford the price of Beach club but I sometimes wonder if it's worth the extra money or not (because we could spend it on something else instead!) I think my main concern is I've heard bus service between resorts can be pretty bad, and staying at Beach club would mean we're only relying on busses for MK and AK. I've never stayed onsite so if anyone can weigh in that would be awesome.

Going for a week in the first week of December because of low crowds so I hear :)

We are onsite people, through and through. We love the Wilderness Lodge the most (never stayed anywhere else! Next December will be our first time branching out to the Boardwalk). It's the first place I always recommend to new visitors! It just depends on what your priorities are. In all my trips, I've only had two bad bus experiences. Buses do not go from resort to resort, so that's something you'll need to take into consideration as well. That's one reason I suggest the Lodge, it has easy access too all forms of transport. You might also enjoy staying along the monorail line :)

I hope you have an AMAZING trip. I look forward to hearing all about your plans as our trips get closer!

Well we did it and have booked for 12/9 to 12/19. We would love to go at least a week sooner but my niece will have finals that week. Now I should get back to work. No, I would rather plan this vacation. Welcome to all the newer members of the thread. Cant wait for this vacation!!!! Lois

Hooray for being officially booked!! Woohoo!!:dogdance::dogdance:

Must of been a busy weekend for everyone. Just checking in not much happening in the Midwest. Cannot wait to begin to make my ressies for dining, as well as buy tickets for the Christmas party. I think the best day for us to go is going to be the last day if I have calculated correctly. I am planning on it being a busy night. Hope everyone's week goes well. Later, Lois

Hi just popping in. Still have not officially booked the hotel because my husband is waiting on a few things from work. :( I know its way early days but is anyone planning on going to the Mickey Christmas party? I am wondering if you buy tickets for the party you don't need a park admission that day? Or do you? Just wondering if anyone has done it and if it's worth it.

Hi just popping in. Still have not officially booked the hotel because my husband is waiting on a few things from work. :( I know its way early days but is anyone planning on going to the Mickey Christmas party? I am wondering if you buy tickets for the party you don't need a park admission that day? Or do you? Just wondering if anyone has done it and if it's worth it.

Welcome aboard.

I am a huge fan of the MVMCP. In fact, we did it twice last year. 1 was to secure the MVMCP merch and the 2nd was for the meet and greets. After each of those, it was ride, ho-cho and parade time. Literally walked on rides like Space Mtn, Thunder Mtn, PotC, etc... To the point where working our way through the lines, took longer than the waits.

As for the tix; If you have a MVMCP ticket, you do not need a park ticket for that day, IF you go in after 4pm. Any time before that, you will need a park ticket. What we do, is we use that day as a sleep-in day, get the breakfast of our choice (usually Kona Cafe YUM!), and then we resort hop and take in the different decorations. Then we relax, maybe nap, at the resort and then head to the party. It could also be a great DTD (aka Disney Springs) day. Get the shopping done and out of the way, then rest or swim at the resort.

Hoped this helped. See you there.

As for the tix; If you have a MVMCP ticket, you do not need a park ticket for that day, IF you go in after 4pm. Any time before that, you will need a park ticket. What we do, is we use that day as a sleep-in day, get the breakfast of our choice (usually Kona Cafe YUM!), and then we resort hop and take in the different decorations. Then we relax, maybe nap, at the resort and then head to the party. It could also be a great DTD (aka Disney Springs) day. Get the shopping done and out of the way, then rest or swim at the resort.
That's our plan! We are planning for 8 days (7 nights) at Disney but on day 1 we will likely just do a resort dinner and pool and we will also take a day to do Disney Springs and relax. So 6 days of tickets (no ticket for departure or arrival day). Maybe then we only need 5 days? Does Epcot take 2 days? We did it in 1 last time I was there but I was a teen with my parents and there was no Frozen ride or character meets that we did.

I'm debating buying the park hopper option on our ticket but the MVMCP would be a great way to get back to MK (I'll be honest, I'm doing this so my daughter can do the meet and greets - Anna and Elsa are her favorite).

I'll be honest, I'm doing this so my daughter can do the meet and greets - Anna and Elsa are her favorite.

Than the best bit of advice I can give you; Find out the days before hand, where each M&G is and see if there were any characters that she'd rather see than others, then, as soon as the Castle Lighting show is over, head to #1 on the list and wait in line. There will be a line there already (people that skipped the lighting show), but don't lose heart. You may have to sacrifice the 1st parade depending on how many M&G's you are aiming for. So naps, may be crucial. But also remember that the party is supposed to be fun too. Try not to over-"Griswald" it like I have done in the past :crazy2: .

Merch might not be an issue for you guys. The reason we do it, because I, and a some of my family are in the XXL range, and they are usually in limited numbers.

Happy Sunday, Just checking in. Nothing new on this front except it appears that Winter has arrived. Next year it might be viewed as a good thing as it will mean that we are really close to the trip[ and I hope to be retired so I will not be forced to drive in the ice and snow. In fact if all goes well I will retire in just 27 Fridays. I am very excited to move forward in my life. Going to stay in Missouri but plan to attempt to homestead as much as we can afford with our small polt of land. Looking to get Nubian goat after we return from this trip. We plan to milk them and use the milk to make soap. Really have little clue what to do but feel that we can make it happen. Well got to get back to the laundry. Till next week-end, Lois

Happy Sunday, Just checking in. Nothing new on this front except it appears that Winter has arrived. Next year it might be viewed as a good thing as it will mean that we are really close to the trip[ and I hope to be retired so I will not be forced to drive in the ice and snow. In fact if all goes well I will retire in just 27 Fridays. I am very excited to move forward in my life. Going to stay in Missouri but plan to attempt to homestead as much as we can afford with our small polt of land. Looking to get Nubian goat after we return from this trip. We plan to milk them and use the milk to make soap. Really have little clue what to do but feel that we can make it happen. Well got to get back to the laundry. Till next week-end, Lois

It's sooo hard to be this far out from our trip, BUT I do love that we're under 400 days now...392 to be exact. I've been slacking on my thread, lol!! Right now I'm just incredibly excited about all of new offerings at Animal Kingdom by the time we get there! It's probably my favorite park outside of the MK at this point. And choosing a favorite is darn near impossible.

Congrats on your upcoming retirement!!

I lived in Missouri my entire life until 4 years ago!

I like the idea of goats, and making the goats milk soap. I hope that works out for you!! I think that's something I'd be interested in too, at some point in the future. Plus, those fuzzy little goats are just so cute! My dogs would NOT like it at all though, LOL!!

Hi All! We are planning a Dec 1-11/16 trip, however if my mom has her way it will be in early May 2016...so for now I will say hi! We went early Dec 2012 and loved it! Weather was about 75-80 the whole time with no rain and crowds were reasonable!

Anyone else busily stalking these boards and planning out your days over and over like I am? :scared: I think we are sticking to our original plan of Dec 1-11/16 as it will give us all time to save up. I'm in Canada and our dollar sucks...have to tack on about 30% extra cost wise because of our weakend dollar :crazy2::guilty:. We will be renting DVC points for OKW again - love that resort! Love being close to Disney Springs, able to take the boat there or bus and the proximity to the MK.

Anyone else busily stalking these boards and planning out your days over and over like I am? :scared: I think we are sticking to our original plan of Dec 1-11/16 as it will give us all time to save up. I'm in Canada and our dollar sucks...have to tack on about 30% extra cost wise because of our weakend dollar :crazy2::guilty:. We will be renting DVC points for OKW again - love that resort! Love being close to Disney Springs, able to take the boat there or bus and the proximity to the MK.

Boy O Boy am I on a planning binge. Every chance I get and still so much I can't really do because I do not have the needed information.

thetallone101 welcome to our group. We can hope that the value of the Canadian dollar will get better before next December. That always makes it hard to plan when you do not know how far your dollar well go on any given day. Happy planning day, Lois

I will be watching this thread, hopefully participating. I was unsuccessful at convincing my DH to take a trip this year in December. We were at Disney in April and he would not fully commit to a December trip this summer until it was a final no :worried:.

He reserved Dec 4-10, 2016 at work and we both have aching hearts that we are not there now. I told him I always know whats best for our family so us not being there is on him lol.

This will probably be our last December Disney trip, both our boys will be in school next year. My oldest will be in Kinder and I don't feel so guilty taking him our for a week.

pixiedust: Here's to a year's worth of planning and successfully planned and executed December 2016 tripspixiedust:

I will be watching this thread, hopefully participating. I was unsuccessful at convincing my DH to take a trip this year in December. We were at Disney in April and he would not fully commit to a December trip this summer until it was a final no :worried:.

He reserved Dec 4-10, 2016 at work and we both have aching hearts that we are not there now. I told him I always know whats best for our family so us not being there is on him lol.

This will probably be our last December Disney trip, both our boys will be in school next year. My oldest will be in Kinder and I don't feel so guilty taking him our for a week.

pixiedust: Here's to a year's worth of planning and successfully planned and executed December 2016 tripspixiedust:

Welcome to the thread. We will keep our fingers crossed that you can make it back next year. I know I am very excited and cannot wait till next year. We are booked but there are a number of things that can dash our hopes and dreams, the biggest being Money!!!! My fingers are crossed that it all goes as planned!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter