• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"Official" 2018 Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party - A Spooktacular Celebration!

Was anyone at the 9/7 party? Someone is claiming that there were FPs available during the party after 7:00. I wanted to know if anyone can verify or debunk this?

It's unlikely. Even if there were a glitch, the CMs wouldn't be letting people redeem them or let people through the line unless they were specifically using that FP line due to less crowds. I'd bet anything they were confused but I was not there so with Disney tech and MDE's weirdness lately, anything is possible.

I wonder if a ride shuts down were people given "anytime" pass?

Question for you guys. Going to the party on October 21. Going for a short trip over MEA School break. So, getting in late October 16 staying at a Seaworld Hotel and hitting Seaworld on the 17th. Then doing a 3 day cruise and getting back on the 21st. We are staying at the Swan for the 1 night. So do not have Magic Bands. I have the printout with my Halloween Tickets on them. Will we get a card or something to use the fastpasses I have booked from 4-6?
Take your printouts to guest services to get cards to scan at the gates

I wonder if a ride shuts down were people given "anytime" pass?

Yeah, perhaps that's it. An anytime FP from a ride closure earlier in the day. It's not one of those well known things so its very possible someone may not notice or understand what it is but assume it's for the party.

Storybook Circus Disney Junior Jam Dance Party
New this year featuring some of your favorite Disney Junior Characters, including Doc McStuffins & Timon!
Recently added: Vampirina
Hours: 7 p.m. - 12 a.m.

It's on the party map!
View attachment 349859

Sorry @ilovecraigandcooper , I must have made a typo when the info came out. :blush:
They must have just changed it because I think it did say 7-10! I remember seeing that when making our plans.

My party photos still haven't showed up. I sent a missing photo request. I will be quite upset if they don't appear. In retrospect I think it is always a good practice to have a cast member use your phone so there is a back-up. Hindsight I guess.
Hope they turn up soon. I remember how worried I was when the magic shots from the party we went to on 31 August didn't show up for a couple of days, especially when regular ones taken after the party did show up almost instantly.

Cannot help you with that. It's not rocket science on how to use the "Print Screen" feature on a computer during a live streaming.

Lol I don't doubt their validity, hard to argue a picture. I just think with rain and uncertainty if parade would start on time up until about 12-20 min prior or so due to the storm, so the crowds weren't dispersed well. Frontierland and Liberty Square were alot more crowded than I have seen in the past. Maybe that was coincidence though, I don't know. We got a front row 10 min prior to it starting by the river bypass, but that's just bc I know where we can sometimes sneak in lol.

Ok. Thanks. I do this before we go inside?

You also don’t only need to do it the day of the party, if it suits you to do it earlier.

I bought tickets as gifts for a friend of a friend, and I was told that, because I don’t have them on MDE, I had to take the ticket printout to any guest service window, any time between now and the party. So they do seem to be very flexible, which is nice.

Was anyone at the 9/7 party? Someone is claiming that there were FPs available during the party after 7:00. I wanted to know if anyone can verify or debunk this?
We were there. We didn't try using/getting fastpasses after 6, but I know all the rides we went on after 6 had the fastpass lines closed, so I can't imagine.

This website was immensely helpful for me in planning our itinerary for last night's MNSSHP, so I am going to leave a report for everyone who is curious about the 9/9/18 party. Disclaimer: The only party-specific experiences that interested us were trick-or-treating and the Headless Horseman, so this post has no info about meet & greets, magic shots, overlays, or the Hocus Pocus show.

I grew up very near Disney World and went there often as a kid. For me now, it's all about the nostalgia. This was only the third time I've been in MK since I've been an adult. My family's last time at MK was 13 years ago. Family is me (42), husband (52), and son (19). Last time my son was at MK, he was only 6, and I have been wanting to take him back for years. The cost of three Florida resident adults attending the Halloween party last night was around $140 cheaper than the three of us attending the lowest-tier regular day at MK, so that sealed the deal for me. I did research and decided that we would likely get more done in eight hours at MNSSHP than in twelve hours on a regular day, and I loved the idea of not having the sun beating down on us the whole time we were there.

We drove up from South Florida yesterday morning, ate lunch at Blaze in Disney Springs at 1:00, got doughnuts for later from Erin McKenna's bakery, got Dole Whips from Marketplace Snacks, did a little bit of looking around, and then drove to MK.

Our receipt for parking says we arrived at 2:34. We got our party entrance tickets at the TTC with no wait just by showing the CM my ID and the credit card we had used to make the purchase. I had forgotten to print out the confirmation email with the barcode (d'oh!), and I was having trouble finding the email on my phone, but the CM said he didn't need it anyway (phew!). (For everyone who doesn't already have a MagicBand, the "ticket" that they give you is actually plastic and credit-card-sized with an RFID chip. You just touch your card to the Mickey icon on the entrance gate to the park and to every ride that you have a FastPass for.)

A ferry was already waiting at the dock at the TTC, so we opted to take the ferry instead of the monorail. We arrived at the MK gates at 3:20, and the lines at some of the event entrances were already at least 50 deep. There was no cover, and it was insanely hot. However, there was an entrance where no one was standing yet between where the crowds were already lined up and the DVC entrance to the right. I walked over, asked a cast member if that one was going to open and was told yes, so we waited there in partial shade pressed up against the rope while most of the rest of the sheep kept lining up in the longest lines farther to the left. At about 3:55, our entrance opened, and we were literally the first people let in for the party (other than DVC, of course). We were getting our wristbands while other entrances hadn't even opened yet. So, the message here is that, if it says "Event Entrance" over a gate, it's going to open for the party, and you don't need to line up behind everyone else just because there's already a line there. Also, please make sure to take water with you if you plan to arrive early and wait in the line at the entrance. It was pretty brutal yesterday.

We had booked FastPasses for Thunder Mountain from 3:30 to 4:30, Haunted Mansion from 4:30 to 5:30, and Jungle Cruise from 5:30 to 6:00. I bought the tickets for the party only three weeks ago, so FastPasses for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train were no longer available and, at that time, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad was not yet listed on the Disney website as being open for the party. A couple days later, BTMR was added to the list of attractions that would be open, and after reading this forum, I saw that FastPasses for BTMR weren't necessary since there's never a wait for that ride during the party. So, in the end, we decided not to use our BTMR FastPasses so that we could get to Haunted Mansion sooner and without rushing. We picked up trick-or-treat bags, watched the band playing in the Hub for a few minutes, went to four locations for smashed coins (a nice cheap souvenir), and then entered the Haunted Mansion FP line right at 4:25.

After Haunted Mansion, we walked over to Tomorrowland and went to two more locations for smashed coins since they were both closing at 6:00 (Mickey's Star Traders and Merchant of Venus). Then, we did Carousel of Progress (because nostalgia) since it was closing at 6:00 to become a trick-or-treat location.

After Carousel of Progress, we walked to Adventureland for Jungle Cruise which was closing at 6:00 also to become a trick-or-treat location. Even with our FastPasses, we still had a bit of a wait. We had a great skipper and a nice ride, but the line of boats queued up to unload at the dock at the end of our cruise was pretty long. Don't know if that's normal or not. After Jungle Cruise, we went to Pirates of the Caribbean at around 6:15 because we were not at all interested in seeing it with the live actors; we just wanted to experience it as it normally is. No line at all; walked right on. We hadn't seen any of the Jack Sparrow additions because the last time we were there was in 2005. Don't know how I feel about them other than they looked very much like Johnny Depp...so, smokin' hot compared to the rest of the animatronic men in MK.

After Pirates, we walked to Frontierland and got right on Thunder Mountain without a wait. Then, back to Fantasyland, another smashed coin on the way, and to Friar's Nook for a dinner of vegan brats and tots at 6:45. Had seen online that they served 1.5 of the vegan brats per order so that the brats ran the whole length of the pretzel bun. Not the case for us. We were just given one brat per person, so there was about an inch of brat-less bun on each end. That was a little disappointing. Also, the amount of sauerkraut on each order was ridiculously different: a ton on one, a nice amount on another, and hardly any at all on the third. But, we evened it out ourselves. The brats did absolutely taste great. While we were eating, the announcement for the beginning of the party was broadcast, and the party-specific music started. Cruella came out and walked around between the carousel and the Fantasyland stone gate between 7:00 and 7:10 or so. We ate our doughnuts from Erin McKenna's for dessert and then headed into the Fantasyland expansion.

We checked the wait at Mine Train, and it was too long, so we walked to Tomorrowland, watched Mike and Sully dance for a few minutes, and then rode the People Mover. While we were on the People Mover, we noticed that the Speedway had closed, so I checked the WDW Expedition app on my phone (I have a Windows Nokia phone, and the My Disney Experience app is only available for iPhone and Android) and saw that all the outdoor rides had closed. We started seeing lightning and hearing thunder, and it began raining right when we got off the People Mover about 7:45, so we headed directly across the street to Buzz Lightyear. No wait there either. After Buzz, we put on ponchos and trick-or-treated for the first time at the Carousel of Progress. We were getting tokens because we are vegans, so we wanted the allergy-free candy (most, but NOT all, of which is vegan).

After that, we walked back to the Fantasyland expansion, which we had never seen all of before, and got LeFou's Brews with no wait at Gaston's Tavern at 8:34. We drank them inside by the fireplace since it was still raining. They were amazing, but really, really, REALLY cold. Like liquid-nitrogen cold. Between the three of us, we got brain-freezes, chest-freezes, and belly-freezes. Then, we rode Under the Sea with no wait (bonus trick-or-treat stop at the exit of that ride), and when we got out, my app said 7DMT had reopened, so we rushed over, but the line was already 35-45 minutes by the time we got there (supposedly), so instead we trick-or-treated at Ariel's Grotto and the Fantasyland RR station. Then, we took the shortcut back to Tomorrowland alongside the train tracks, and the path was blissfully deserted. We got smashed coins at Light & Power and, at around 9:40, my husband and son entered the line for the Speedway and waited about 12-15 minutes to get their cars.

At about 10:05, we suddenly remembered that the fireworks would be happening soon and that we had planned to get floats at the Plaza Parlor to have while watching the fireworks. Figured there would be a line out the door, but there was no line at all. Got floats within five minutes, then walked outside a couple minutes before the fireworks started. Hub was extremely crowded, and we stood behind the grassy spot north of Casey's Corner. Lots of people in front of us, so not an unobstructed view of the castle, but we all found the fireworks and castle projections underwhelming. Maybe it was the cloud-cover or maybe there wasn't enough of a breeze to move the smoke, but most of the fireworks kind of got lost in the haze.

After fireworks, we walked back through Adventureland to trick-or-treat and caught a glimpse of Jack Sparrow singing "Sweet Child of Mine" to a bewildered kid. After the LeFou's Brew and half a Coke float, I really needed something salty to balance the sweet, so I got a little box of popcorn, and it was totally stale. Probably just the humidity. We then hit the trick-or-treat spots in Frontierland and rode Splash Mountain with no wait (and with our ponchos on so that we wouldn't get soaked). After that, it was almost time for the second parade to begin. I knew the Headless Horseman wouldn't be riding because the streets were wet, and honestly, that was the most disappointing part of the whole night for us, but it was completely out of our control, so we didn't dwell on it. From reports here, and because it had been raining earlier, I had really expected the park to have emptied out by that time, but that was not the case at all. We had planned to watch the first half of the parade from Frontierland and then rush to ride Haunted Mansion again right after seeing the Haunted Mansion float in the parade so that we'd beat the crowds that were watching the second half of the parade. But, we could not find a good spot anywhere in Frontierland or Liberty Square to watch the parade; the whole area was completely packed. We decided to forget the parade and just headed straight for Haunted Mansion. There was no line at all, and we walked right up to the doors and were the only ones standing there. Got in immediately.

After Haunted Mansion, we got another smashed coin, and then we looked in Memento Mori briefly and got a very cool postcard (the only Halloween-ish postcard in the MK). Then, we turned in half our tokens at the Liberty Square Ticket Office to get whatever vegan stuff they had. I asked for the Enjoy Life chocolate cookies and was told that they weren't giving out any more that night because they were "rationing them until we get our next shipment from the company." Asked if Town Square Theater would have any and was told no. Minor disappointment was squelched when the CM handed me my trick-or-treat bag nearly loaded to the top with vegan chocolate.

Headed back toward Adventureland, passing Jack and Sally in the gazebo on the way while Jack was serenading a little girl, and then we climbed the Swiss Family Treehouse. It was very cool to be the only ones at that attraction. Beautiful view of the castle 3/4 of the way up. When we got back down, it was midnight, so we headed for the front of the park while the Hocus Pocus show started at the Castle.

We got our party-exclusive Sorcerers cards in front of the Firehouse. (Even though it was past midnight when we got up there, and the Firehouse had already closed, a couple CMs were still outside handing out cards.) Then, we took our remaining tokens to Town Square Theater and asked if they had the Enjoy Life chocolate cookies. THEY DID! Woot! But, they only gave us one bag each (BOOOOO!). But, we got a little bit more candy there (less than half of what we'd gotten at the Liberty Square Ticket Office with the same number of tokens, which was fine with us because we already had plenty).

The line for the express monorail looked pretty long so, using advice I'd gotten here, we just hopped on a resort monorail with no wait. By the time we got to our car, it was already 12:45. Got back home to South Florida a little over three hours later, sorted candy, and hit the hay.

All in all, it was a great day/night, and I'm very glad we did it. It was much better, in my opinion, than spending a sweltering day in the park waiting in long lines. The rain wasn't great, probably especially for people waiting in character meet & greet lines or people who were almost at the front of the line for 7DMT when it closed, but it didn't bother us too much. I would really have liked more time to get on 7DMT, but it just wasn't in the cards for last night. I also would've loved to see the Cadaver Dans, but we missed them, too. I kind of wanted to ride It's a Small World (because nostalgia again), but my husband and son didn't want to, and I'm really glad we didn't end up taking the time for that (there was no wait, but it's a long ride). We also missed the Winne-the-Pooh and Peter Pan rides, but none of us were really dying to see either of those.

We did 12 of the 14 trick-or-treat stops with barely a wait at any of them and got way more candy than we ever wanted with only 14 tokens each (a couple places gave us two tokens). We got every smashed coin that we wanted even though some of the places with coin press machines close at 6:00 on party nights. (Plan accordingly, if you want these as souvenirs.) Other minor disappointments were that the Headless Horseman didn't ride in front of either parade (but I understand completely and wouldn't have wanted the horse to slip on the wet street), and it was much too crowded in Frontierland to catch the first half of the last parade as we had planned.

If you have any questions at all about anything that isn't clear here, please do not hesitate to ask. I would be happy to help anyone because I got lots of help here in the couple weeks leading up to our visit. I will check for questions for the next couple days, and then I'll be logging off here until our next trip (in another 13 years, probably! Hah!). Thanks to everyone!

Last edited:
I have a question to anyone who has attended the party.
I am debating getting a one day Memory Maker for the party.
My goal is to take advantage of short character M&G or magic picture lines if we see them. I may even direct my kids to get a pic if they decide not to go on a ride.
If anyone had MM at the party, was it easy to get more than 4 pics without it taking a huge chunk of the party time?

9/9/18 party. Arrived at the MK gates at 3:20, and the lines at some of the event entrances were already at least 50 deep. There was no cover, and it was insanely hot. However, there was an entrance where no one was standing yet between where the crowds were already lined up and the DVC entrance to the right. I walked over, asked a cast member if that one was going to open and was told yes, so we waited there in partial shade pressed up against the rope while most of the rest of the sheep kept lining up in the longest lines farther to the left. At about 3:55, our entrance opened, and we were literally the first people let in for the party (other than DVC, of course). We were getting our wristbands while other entrances hadn't even opened yet. So, the message here is that, if it says "Event Entrance" over a gate, it's going to open for the party, and you don't need to line up behind everyone else just because there's already a line there. Also, please make sure to take water with you if you plan to arrive early and wait in the line at the entrance. It was pretty brutal yesterday.

:worship::worship: THANK YOU!!!

party:party:party:party:party:

Hope they turn up soon. I remember how worried I was when the magic shots from the party we went to on 31 August didn't show up for a couple of days, especially when regular ones taken after the party did show up almost instantly.

If you're still at WDW they have Photopass locations at all four parks. They can take care of you there.

I have a question to anyone who has attended the party.
I am debating getting a one day Memory Maker for the party.
My goal is to take advantage of short character M&G or magic picture lines if we see them. I may even direct my kids to get a pic if they decide not to go on a ride.
If anyone had MM at the party, was it easy to get more than 4 pics without it taking a huge chunk of the party time?

I have not been at the party this year but I did attend Oct 31, 2017 which was sold out. I can tell you that when the midnight showing of Hocus Pocus was playing Photopass Photographers were lined up on Main Street. These have the lowest waits I have ever seen and we went from one to another and asked each photographer if they could take two different kinds of Magic Shots which they did. We had one, or two guests in front of us all four times. See the red dots?, Big, bang boom!

upload_2018-9-11_2-16-43.png

Here's one you can get prior to the start of the party - this area does get busy because later in the evening you can get the grave diggers animated video which is very nice.
upload_2018-9-11_2-19-57.png

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter