"Official" 2018 Disney After Hours (DAH) Thread (Now Closed, see New 2019 Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, you do have to be willing to be flexible. In our case we did not have any fast passes at AK because of our last minute plans & kids REALLY wanted to do Avatar flight & the na'vi river and expedition Everest. When the alarm went off at 6:15 they were the first ones up! My husband thought I was crazy when I told him how early we needed to be up until he saw the huge crowds of people pouring off the buses.
But we've been to Disney multiple times so they may be more used to the walking & knew what to expect. AK was absolutely crazy at rope drop, so be prepared for that too.
Not sure how many days you will be there & what fast passes you have but mid day breaks are absolutely the best if you can manage it, especially since it is her first time & the resort pools were very enjoyable even in Jan.
We will be there Feb 27-March 4 so maybe I should tell her to start walking some (lol like she would listen to me). We have FPs for FOP, Everest, and Kali at AK and I wanted to RD Navi and then go to the Safari right after. The only time we have to go swimming is during the day before DAH. We actually had a full rest day set up the day before DAH, but we ended up just upgrading our tickets to 3 day hoppers instead of 2 day base tickets so now that rest day will be spent at Epcot/HS.

A little late in this, but wanted to share our experience. We went on 1/26. It was our 6yo son, my husband and me, first time to DAH. We made the trip specifically for DAH.
We arrived around 645 and got right in. There was a someone with a sign for the event and it was very easy to find the line. We scanned our magic bands, picked up the lanyard and were good to go. Immediately jumped on the train to Frontierland. We love the train and it helped to avoid having to fight the fireworks crowds down main street.
We had fast passes for PotC and the Jungle Cruise and used both, though the Jungle Cruise was basically walk on anyway. That part of the park was fairly quiet even before 8:00. Before 8:00 we had done those two rides, the Tiki Room (sigh) and Aladdin.
From there, we walked over toward Big Thunder and enjoyed fireworks over the water. Got to Big Thunder and might have waited a minute or two to get on and did that as the fireworks were going off. That made for some great memories. Picked up some popcorn and drinks for the walk to Haunted Mansion.
After that we did pretty much everything we'd hoped to do: Small World, Peter Pan, Carousel, 7 Dwarves, Teacups, Speedway, Astro Orbiter, Space Ranger Spin, Space Mountain, Dumbo. Picked up more drinks, popcorn, and ice cream. Enjoyed a walk down Main Street. We could have rode 7 Dwarves one more time, but the kid was crashing.
It certainly met, and really exceeded my expectations. It was an incredible experience to just walk through the park, see a ride, and be able to practically jump right on. I'm not a crowd person, so it was extra nice to walk through all of the typical pinch points and not feel crowded or bump into anyone. The only waits we had were perhaps 5 minutes for Peter Pan and maybe 10 for 7 Dwarves. We laughed as we saw everyone in the Peter Pan line use the time to munch down their ice cream and popcorn. The snack lines were very efficient.
The only improvement I could see (and very minor) is that I wish they would open up the queue lines when possible. A lot of our time was spent simply walking back and forth through empty queues. Like for the teacups, just open up some of the back and forth if no one is there waiting, same for Dumbo, etc. But again, a very, very minor thing.
From a personal standpoint, I think DAH would be ideal as an add on to a bigger trip. Since we were just there for DAH and the following day at AK, and probably won't return for a couple years, we really wanted to do as many rides as possible. So the night was spent hurrying to get things done. If we'd spent the whole day at the park, it would have been tons of fun just to spend the evening enjoying the casual atmosphere and targeting just a few of our favorite rides for reptition.

Hope all of you with upcoming trips have fun! It's a special experience.

At every ride up until 8 pm, I said to the CM manning the FP lane "Hey we can use these as FPs until the event starts, right?" and I didn't get any guff from anyone. It sounds from other reports like CMs are starting to pick up on this in a good way. So get there as close to 7 as possible and maybe you'll get to fit in more rides! We were able to ride PotC, Aladdin and BTMRR right up until 8 pm using this method.
That is a good strategy-just assume you can use it and make it sound like you know more! Maybe by the time I get there in March, all of you guys will have buttered up the CMs enough to let me in via FP easily!

I also wonder, for DAH where it is a 9pm park close, do you think you can use the lanyard as a FP from 7-9 or just 8-9? I guess for me it won't matter because I'll be at the dessert party...

Man, @fiasco32 killed it with the photos above. Great pics! I know a pic is just a snapshot of the moment, but looks a lot like how my DAH night ‘felt’ last year.

Also FYI - I am keeping Post #1 updated with links to “review posts” so all this quality info doesn’t get totally buried in the thread. Links are at the bottom of Post #1. I might get behind a bit in updating them, but I’ll eventually get to it.

Last edited:

DD23 and I were at the event Friday night 1/26. Our early morning flight into Orlando was cancelled so we had to scramble at our airport to find another flight. Luckily, we found another (later) direct flight. After a long wait at the rental car counter we hit the road to WDW. Traffic was pretty bad so we headed directly to Magic Kingdom parking and took the ferry over to the park. There was a clearly marked area for DAH and we got in with our hard tickets at about 6:35. I'd been up since 1:00 am since I had to drive 3.5 hours to my daughter's house, then another half hour to the airport followed by nearly 8 hours at the airport and a 2.25 hour flight. I was tired, but the Disney excitement fueled me. We had FP's for Pirates and HM. We quickly did both of those followed by no wait @ IASW. Headed over to BTMR and got in the FP line @ 7:51. I'll make a list:

Pirates
HM
IASW
BTMR x2 (during fireworks, AWESOME!)
Magic Carpets of Aladdin
PP
Carousel
Pooh
Astro Orbiter
SM x2
Little Mermaid
Barnstormer x3 (We were allowed to stay on since no one was waiting)
Dumbo
Princess Hall (we actually waited for about 7 minutes)
PP
Mine train

That's 20 attractions in about 4 hours. We also had a total (mostly mine) of 3 Mickey bars, 2 ice cream sandwiches, 2 popcorns, and 4 drinks.
We just grabbed snacks as we walked by stands that had little or no lines.

We walked right on a ferry and right on to a tram at the TTC and were back at the hotel by midnight.

My takeaway was that it was not a "ghost town," but it was a very low crowd level. We had a great time and would definitely do it again.

I already posted a detailed play-by-play of our DAH on 1/26 here, but I just had a few more thoughts to share I figured might be helpful:

Lanyards: I'm glad I asked at City Hall GS about the lanyards, even though reports were last week that everyone had to exit and come back in. If the line is short at GS it never hurts to ask. We asked at around 6:40 and go ours no problem from two CM who were set up to do just so right outside the main entrance to City Hall.

Start Early! I asked the CM at City Hall about using the lanyards as FPs between 7 and 8, and they said that was not the policy. But I didn't give up there. At every ride up until 8 pm, I said to the CM manning the FP lane "Hey we can use these as FPs until the event starts, right?" and I didn't get any guff from anyone. It sounds from other reports like CMs are starting to pick up on this in a good way. So get there as close to 7 as possible and maybe you'll get to fit in more rides! We were able to ride PotC, Aladdin and BTMRR right up until 8 pm using this method.

Have a plan. Now, I don't think you need to have a super strict plan and stick to it minute-by-minute, but when you're paying a premium for these three hours, you want to use your time wisely. As I said in an earlier post, we decided what rides we could do without, what rides we absolutely had to ride and which of those rides we want to do multiple times. You may even have some rides you want to end on. For us, no matter the wait time, we knew that we wanted 7DMT to be our last ride of the night. This will help you from zig-zagging all over the park.

Character meet-and-greets are long! Granted, we only did two M&G during DAH (Ariel and talking Mickey), but I was blown away by how much time they spent with us. You never get this kind of time during the day when there are lines. I mean, Mickey spent a solid 6 or 7 minutes with our group. He did a pretend car race with the kids, talked to them about their Mickey shirts and pins, made fun of Dad (of course) and told several jokes. It was amazing. Same with Ariel. In fact, I was getting a little antsy with Ariel because we were trying to fit in two rides on 7DMT after we visited her, and it was pushing 10:20 so at one point I was hoping she would shut up about sand dollars vs. human dollars!! I really get the impression the CMs are trained to give more 1:1 attention during DAH, so if you love character M&G this might be the time to take advantage!

Transportation can be a pain. My plan was to catch a Minnie Van after to avoid the hassle, but I couldn't get one hailed. We waited 20 minutes (not bad in the scheme of things, I know, but it was 11:30 pm and I had logged 25,000 steps!) for one that shared with another resort, so the whole process of getting to our hotel took almost an hour. Could have been worse, but still.

Take advantage of the "last hour." Just like with the park normally, things don't just shut down when the rides do. Go all out until the end of the actual event time, then take a half hour or an hour and make your way slowly through the hub and down Main Street. Several of the shops stayed open until after 11:15 in our case and at no point did we have CM trying to get us to leave the park. I have read reports of people being there until after midnight until the CMs finally start ushering. This is the emptiest you'll see the park ever, so take it all in!

Think about your next morning. Not only does the even go very late, but you're really hustling to get it all in, so you'll want to be mindful of your plans the next morning. We intentionally did this as our very last thing on our very last day, then we all slept in the next morning before checking out.

Don't expect the park to be "empty." Certainly it feels way less crowded than usual. And there were some times when we were only around a handful of people or none at all, but those moments didn't last very long. But with it starting to sell out more and more, you're just going to be around people the whole time. Adjust your expectations and you'll love how the park feels with way lower numbers.

Also, here are some photos I took of crowd levels throughout the night:

Here's the snack cart just outside BTMRR at 8:10 (we had already ridden twice during the fireworks). Healthy line forming.

86775_A59_FEF0_4221_943_A_F6943545_DC90.jpg

Leaving Frontierland, looking back toward Splash Mountain at 8:31 pm:

AD3_A7955_A389_46_C6_B6_F9_276_A860_AC89_E.jpg

The entrance to Tomorrowland at 9:08 pm

F2_F52_BFC_208_A_4_B24_B2_F7_5_B34_A6_D9_EE03.jpg

Here is the carousel in Fantasyland heading toward Pinnochio/Peter Pan's Flight/Small World at 10:01 pm

0_DD4983_B_2992_458_C_BF23_5005_B0_A2_D530.jpg

I love this shot of the empty queue at 7DMT at 11:08. We were literally the last people on the ride! How often do you get to say that??

8_E677_FBF_7722_4_BB6_A708_AF3_F2_A0_D975_E.jpg

Walking to the hub past the Cheshire Cat at 11:14 pm

91_E20630_6869_4173_BBDE_5_AA83_EE236_BB.jpg

Looking back at MTP at 11:15 pm

B0_F6_E02_E_5_E94_46_E2_A29_E_CFE065_D0_B50_E.jpg

Looking down Main Street at 11:28 pm as we slowlyyyyyyyy make our way out of the park.

B3_A95071_4_D16_4_A49_A14_A_2_FAA283_C9960.jpg
In the what locations were the carts the busiest? Are the items available one per person per cart or unlimited?

Thanks for all the insight and pics!!

In the what locations were the carts the busiest? Are the items available one per person per cart or unlimited?

Thanks for all the insight and pics!!

The BTMRR cart was the busiest I saw. Only one CM working. The Tomorrowland cart had two CMs working and they were on the ball! Almost no wait The Liberty Square cart had one person working and a medium wait (maybe three parties deep).

Anyone can get as much as they want, as it was clear some people were standing in line while the rest of their party rode rides. At one cart, I (by myself) ordered 4 Diet Cokes, three Mickey Bars, two popcorns and a water and the CM didn't blink an eye.

The BTMRR cart was the busiest I saw. Only one CM working. The Tomorrowland cart had two CMs working and they were on the ball! Almost no wait The Liberty Square cart had one person working and a medium wait (maybe three parties deep).

Anyone can get as much as they want, as it was clear some people were standing in line while the rest of their party rode rides. At one cart, I (by myself) ordered 4 Diet Cokes, three Mickey Bars, two popcorns and a water and the CM didn't blink an eye.
Perfect that’s exactly why I was asking! A few in our group want to sit out a few rides so we are putting them to work in the form of ice cream and popcorn for everyone. Thanks again :)

Some quick housekeeping items:
  • Tomorrow night (1/30/2018) isn't sold out yet (as of 9PM 1/29/2018)
  • Reminder that HEA is now at 7:55PM (not 8:00PM) for the remainder of the DAH dates
  • I've been updating Post #1 with links to reviews people post in the thread, scroll to the bottom of the post - DAH Thread Post #1
  • I'm actively maintaining the Guest List in Post #2; don't hesitate to post or PM if you'd like to be added
Thanks all!

There is a "special event" gate that is closer to the middle, when facing the train station it is just to the right. So walk down the ramp from monorail, do not go to the main entrance gate where everyone else is (which would be on your left) continue walking. There was a post with a small DAH sign sticking up & you will see cms holding lanyards.
I haven't been to Halloween or Christmas parties but I assume you entered through the same gate.

Thank you so much! :cheer2:

Does anyone know if we are allowed to pick up lanyards for other members in our group as long as we have their After Hours ticket or magic band? Or do all the members have to be there to get their own lanyard? And I'm speaking of people already in the park and don't have to enter via the tapstiles for DAH.

When we are at the Dessert Party, it would be so much easier if one of us could save our lawn spots and look after our things while the other goes to get our lanyards. Because the more I look at our schedule I don't think we're going to have time to get the lanyards before the Dessert Party.

Grrr... if only we could get our lanyards from Guest Services when we first enter the park or at a more convenient time and not have to waste precious touring time to come back to get them. I am going to email Disney with my complaint about this and see what they say.

I can’t see why Disney would not hand out the lanyards early - unless they don’t want to deal with people “losing” theirs.

Does anyone know if we are allowed to pick up lanyards for other members in our group as long as we have their After Hours ticket or magic band? Or do all the members have to be there to get their own lanyard? And I'm speaking of people already in the park and don't have to enter via the tapstiles for DAH.

When we are at the Dessert Party, it would be so much easier if one of us could save our lawn spots and look after our things while the other goes to get our lanyards. Because the more I look at our schedule I don't think we're going to have time to get the lanyards before the Dessert Party.

Grrr... if only we could get our lanyards from Guest Services when we first enter the park or at a more convenient time and not have to waste precious touring time to come back to get them. I am going to email Disney with my complaint about this and see what they say.
I think someone mentioned awhile back that they all had to leave and use their finger print to come back in. But others have said the cm just handed them their lanyards without going back out.

I can’t see why Disney would not hand out the lanyards early - unless they don’t want to deal with people “losing” theirs.
Yeah, I thought about Disney not wanting to risk people losing their lanyards because I'm sure I read somewhere that they won't replace lost ones. Which makes sense to stop people from saying they lost theirs to get an extra one for someone who didn't pay.

I just emailed Disney a strongly worded email. I'll see what they say.

Last edited:
I think someone mentioned awhile back that they all had to leave and use their finger print to come back in. But others have said the cm just handed them their lanyards without going back out.
I was hoping to see if any who were handed their lanyards were able to pick them up for others in their party as well. Like Dad being able to get everybody's while Mom took little Suzy to the bathroom. Something like that.

Maybe if someone attending tonight could ask when they get their lanyards, I would appreciate it.

Does anyone know if the photos with the Tangled lantern are done during DAH?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter