Official 2017 Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend!

:tinker: It's Fairy Friday! :tinker:

In which I blatantly steal the "Sundays Are For Disney"/"QOTD" ideas from other threads here in the runDisney section! :teeth:

We are 7 Fridays away from Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend, so to keep us chatting/sharing ideas, I thought I'd post a question each Friday that we can discuss! Questions are about Disneyland Resort and/or the Tinker Bell Races!
7 weeks to go, Pixies...Happy Fairy Friday! :tinker:

Question of the Week:
7 Fridays to go! What is your plan for race nutrition - before, during and after the race(s)?

FYI: In 2016 there were 2 water stops on the 5K course (no Powerade,), 3 water stops on the 10K course (no Powerade) 8 water stops on the half marathon course (water + Powerade) and one nutrition stop on the half marathon course (CLIF gels, mile 8.5). I would expect 2017’s water/fuel stops to be the same, if not very similar.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

My answer: Exactly what I do for long runs at home!

Before: Coffee from the room, bagel and peanut butter (which I will bring from home). Lots of water and not a lot of booze or crazy eating leading up to the races.

During: nothing special for the 5K and 10K, but I’ll be utilizing the on-course water stops. These have been sufficient for me during past Disney races.

For the half, I'll alternate water and Powerade from the hydration stops and have half a Honey Stinger Waffle (vanilla flavor) every 3-4 miles. I can't do CLIF gels - I tried one a few years ago and it was WAY too watery, blech. And one gel would not be enough to get me through the half. I will continue to hope that runDisney someday offers red Powerade on the course but it's just been the green stuff so far...:crazy2:

After: ALL OF THE NOMS! :hyper:

In which I blatantly steal the "Sundays Are For Disney"/"QOTD" ideas from other threads here in the runDisney section! :teeth:

We are 7 Fridays away from Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend, so to keep us chatting/sharing ideas, I thought I'd post a question each Friday that we can discuss! Questions are about Disneyland Resort and/or the Tinker Bell Races!
7 weeks to go, Pixies...Happy Fairy Friday! :tinker:

Question of the Week:
7 Fridays to go! What is your plan for race nutrition - before, during and after the race(s)?

FYI: In 2016 there were 2 water stops on the 5K course (no Powerade,), 3 water stops on the 10K course (no Powerade) 8 water stops on the half marathon course (water + Powerade) and one nutrition stop on the half marathon course (CLIF gels, mile 8.5). I would expect 2017’s water/fuel stops to be the same, if not very similar.

Before: big bowl of pasta from the Old Spaghetti Factory. :D

During: bagel before the race, gatorade on course, half a Gu waffle at 5K and 10K and a full waffle at mile 10.

Post: Celebratory Mother's Day brunch at the Storytellers restaurant with my hubs and his mom :)

Before: big bowl of pasta from the Old Spaghetti Factory. :D

During: bagel before the race, gatorade on course, half a Gu waffle at 5K and 10K and a full waffle at mile 10.

Post: Celebratory Mother's Day brunch at the Storytellers restaurant with my hubs and his mom :)
Gu makes waffles?? I didn't know that!

Pasta is just the best. :lovestruc

:tinker:FRIDAY!!!!

BEFORE: We scheduled a big lunch on Saturday and no dinner reservations. I'm gonna go pretty easy for dinner (I just can't eat heavy night before races.) I'll pack my favorite clif bar for wake-up and I'm hoping to get a banana at the hotel market the day I arrive to just save for the morning. And water.

DURING: TBD. I want to do test runs with E-Gel and Clif gels very soon on my long runs. I'll use the aid stations for water. I have a big expo in Chicago to go to next weekend so I'll be "fuel shopping" there probably but also have some at home to test out.

AFTER: MICKEY WAFFLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! aka Plaza Inn character breakfast.

Days before, nothing too heavy or spicy. The morning of the race I will have graham crackers and almond butter, not too much water before hand so that I don't have to make extra pit stops.

Just water stops for the 10K.

For the half I will alternate water and gatorade stops. I will use a GU about 10 minutes before the start and another one between miles 6-7. I bring my own because there is only one flavor that really agrees with me.

:tinker::tinker::tinker:Friday !!!!!

Day before the race...BIG lunch at Carnation Café for Shrimp Pasta and split the turkey sandwich. No sweets or treats unit after Sunday's race...I've got to earn them.

Race Morning...bananas and bagels. Will have something in hotel room and bring my breakfast and have my early to corral picnic while waiting for the start. During race...alternate between water and sports drink, have my GU chews when needed and take the caffeine induced Gu packages from the fuel stop during the race.

After race...have light lunch and wait for our Blue Bayou Reservations. Enjoy my special treat apple from Main Street.

Change of subject...had a race nightmare last night. Really hate those.:scared1:

My body forces me to start "eating better" about a week before a race. I'm not sure how it knows I'm about to torture it more than I do during training, but I just can't stomach most things except fruits and veggies leading up to a race.

I don't tend to do much the night before 5Ks and 10Ks, but I'll try to eat either some pasta or literally just a loaf of bread the night before the half. If my stomach is behaving, maybe I can get a Mac N Cheese bread bowl in DCA.

Right before I leave for the race, though, I usually eat a slice of potato bread and peanut butter. Plus a least half a bottle of water ideally as soon as I wake up so that I can force my body to use a potty break right before I head into my corral. It's a precarious timing because it might mean a potty break during the run if I time it too late.

During, if I'm not feeling ill (thus needing the extra fluids) and it's not super hot, I won't bother with my water bottle with Mio Electrolytes for the 5K and 10K. I might have it for the half depending on weather, though. I'll probably have some sports beans with me for the half just in case. The potato bread with peanut butter usually keeps me going just fine, though.

After, currently have a reservation for Plaza Inn. I'll probably make myself sick on bacon and Mickey waffles. It's a toss up keeping that over the MSEP Dining Package at Blue Bayou, though.

Thanks all - I did email trackshack/runD and they told me that my corral assignment will be based on the time I submitted in my registration. And thanks for the tip on bringing proof! I will definitely print that out.

Day Before: Definitely no alcohol or anything my body classifies as "weird". Learned that one the hard way :/

Breakfast: Banana with PB as soon as I wake up, then a Quest bar and then a Gu. I have to eat a ton over a fairly extended amount of time to not be lightheaded when running and I drink roughly my body weight in water, more if its above 60 (wish I was joking). I also have to have a Gu every hour while running. I can't eat solids while running and have had some nasty experiences with Gatorade so Gu is perfect. Salted caramel is my fave, btw.

After: Really a toss-up between a Mickey apple and a Mickey krispie before I get on the plane. Who am I kidding? It will be both.

I'm still trying to figure out what will agree with me. Sometimes my stomach acts up with even the most mild food. I can't believe last year I ate at Tortilla Jo's the night before the 10K with no ill effects. I'm not taking that risk again.

Day before: To be determined
Breakfast: I'm usually not hungry that early in the morning, but I feel I should eat something. Maybe a bagel.
After: Have reservations at Blue Bayou at 11:30!

I'm trying to decide if I should bring water with me during the half. I did a 9.5 mile run last weekend and brought a big water bottle. I started to run out towards the end and got really thirsty. I've also been experimenting with Gu. So far chocolate outrage is my fave!

I don't have tons of experience (this will only be my second race), but for the Star Wars Light Side in January, this worked out well so I'll probably go for it again:
--dinner before: corn quesadilla at Tortilla Jo's without a Margarita :(
--morning before half: banana and half a bagel with cream cheese. I had a snack bar with me during the race but didn't need it
--Catal celebratory brunch afterwards

Anyone else notice the 5K says start at 5:30 now instead of 5:00? Wonder if its a course change or means less time for the run

Last edited:
Anyone else notice the 5K says start at 5:30 now instead of 5:00 now? Wonder if its a course change or means less time for the run
That's interesting I assumed that the 5AM start was due to it starting on Main Street and that they needed extra time to clear the park.

If it's 5:30, I'm thinking course change/new starting location. :scratchin

I hope it's not a new start. I love being at the park early and watching Tink fly over the castle. It's a great start to a race!!

I haven't quite kept up here but has the Treasure Lounge VIP Experience been talked about?

VIP Experience

"Are you looking to enhance your race weekend experience? Then upgrade to the Treasure Lounge: A VIP Experience created to take the hustle out of your race preparation and add some extra riches to your weekend.

This weekend-long experience will provide runners with a personalized race check-in process, as well as access to exclusive shopping, dining and entertainment offerings including:"

They also added runDisney Lunch n Learn

Lunch n Learn

"Have you ever wanted to learn how to make that perfect healthy meal? Something with a good balance of vitamins, protein and a sweet ending? Have you ever wanted to learn from a Disney chef inside of the award-winning Napa Rose restaurant?

Then join us for Lunch n Learn, where you are in the kitchen with our chefs learning how to prepare a healthy, race inspired three-course meal. Chris Faulkner, American Culinary Federation - Certified Executive Chef, (and Arizona Ironman triathlon finisher) and his team will go in-depth into the preparation of a healthy meal that includes salad, entrée, dessert, as well as pre- and post-workout shakes! And after you've worked up an appetite during the lesson, you'll enjoy that three-course lunch in time to take on your race weekend challenges."

Question of the Week: 7 Fridays to go! What is your plan for race nutrition - before, during and after the race(s)?

Ha! After all my excitement in waiting for Fairy Friday, I forgot to actually come back and answer it.

Friday night before the 10K we are planning dinner at Steakhouse 55. For the 10K, we might just have some quick bite to eat at the hotel (not sure what precisely) and likely won't eat anything on the course. We will likely carry our own electrolyte drink because we are picky about that and just drink water on the course. That's usually good enough for a 10K. After the 10K we are eating breakfast/brunch at Carnation Café. YAY!!!

Saturday night before the half we are eating at Naples. For the race again a quick bite at hotel and then our electrolyte drink. I'll carry something with me for fuel (probably honey stingers or maybe cliff bar). After we have a reservation for brunch at Catel, so pretty stoked for that and then having dinner at Carthay Circle. All.the.food!

Lunch n Learn

"Have you ever wanted to learn how to make that perfect healthy meal? Something with a good balance of vitamins, protein and a sweet ending? Have you ever wanted to learn from a Disney chef inside of the award-winning Napa Rose restaurant?

Then join us for Lunch n Learn, where you are in the kitchen with our chefs learning how to prepare a healthy, race inspired three-course meal. Chris Faulkner, American Culinary Federation - Certified Executive Chef, (and Arizona Ironman triathlon finisher) and his team will go in-depth into the preparation of a healthy meal that includes salad, entrée, dessert, as well as pre- and post-workout shakes! And after you've worked up an appetite during the lesson, you'll enjoy that three-course lunch in time to take on your race weekend challenges."

Thanks for posting this! I'd seen the VIP experience but not the lunch. I'm actually intrigued despite the $$$. Love any chance to eat at Napa Rose :)

Luckily I won't even be at Disneyland until afternoon on Friday, so either of those packages really wouldn't do much for me if I was willing to spend the $$. It's odd to me that they both cost more than the half marathon alone (but I guess so does a big dooney!)
Now if anyone does end up going to that lunch...please post recaps so we all can live vicariously through you even if it will be impossible to taste the food through the computer screen. :)

I was showing past year Neverland 5K videos to our Mouseketeer (who is taking 5K training very seriously) anyway, I kept getting "choked up" just watching Tink fly over the castle. :love: I guess I'm just having a Disney Geek moment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter