Official 2017 Star Wars - Light Side Half Marathon Weekend (Jan 12th - 15th, 2017)

Wow. Surprised to hear that about the Anabella. We really like that hotel to. My go-to off-site hotel for races has been Stovalls Best Western. It's a Best Western, so you get what you think. Parking is a mess and $10/night extra, but it's usually a good rate and a close walk to the corrals.

Yes, my coworkers rave about the Anabella too so maybe I'll keep it on the list, but I really can't deal with no hot water after the race. The location does look ideal though. I don't have to worry about parking as I'll be flying in from the east coast and then my parents will pick me up wherever we stay to go up to LA to visit with them. (Although they don't know this plan yet...lol!)

Was this for tink because they may have fixed the issue. Secuity was right in front of where the booths are for grand cal parking. Therefore, we could literally walk into corrals and no longer had to walk to downtown disney and back

It was for Light Side in 2016, so I'm hoping they have fixed the the problem - we went in a circle and literally ended up almost back at our room location by the hotel. Ha!

Do special rates for on-site hotels come out after general registration? Is this something that I will be able to find through the rD site, or will I have to call in ?

This does seem so weird as the past two years everyone sold out much much faster.
I think there are a couple of factors contributing to the slower sell out. First off, this is the first year that everybody knows that runDisney has two Star Wars themed races. I wonder how many runners signed up for the first 2 Star Wars races because they were the only Star Wars races. Now that the Dark Side 1/2 is known, that may mean some runners are choosing just one. Second, and this is a good thing, I think the price point and number of events runDisney offers means that most runners who want to sign up can get in.

When the 24 hour race sellouts began, runDisney offered a lot fewer races than they do currently. But now both Disneyland and WDW offer 4 race weekends a year.

I think there are a couple of factors contributing to the slower sell out. First off, this is the first year that everybody knows that runDisney has two Star Wars themed races. I wonder how many runners signed up for the first 2 Star Wars races because they were the only Star Wars races. Now that the Dark Side 1/2 is known, that may mean some runners are choosing just one. Second, and this is a good thing, I think the price point and number of events runDisney offers means that most runners who want to sign up can get in.

When the 24 hour race sellouts began, runDisney offered a lot fewer races than they do currently. But now both Disneyland and WDW offer 4 race weekends a year.

You mean others aren't as crazy as my husband and I and will do every Star Wars race! (Goodbye Money) but we're planning on maintaining legacy for both coasts.

After much consideration we booked in to Stovall's for Light Side. We'll still check rates on-site to see if we can get a military discount, but if not we'll be fine there. I liked the looks of the Hilton, but Stovall's has a slightly better location and breakfast included, plus I saved a bit joining the Best Western rewards and getting a member rate.

Question: if it's already sold out after AP/DVC members, does that mean it's completely sold out for open registration? For example 10k and kids races are sold out, so there's no chance at open registration?

@Sleepless Knight if I don't get in the old fashioned way next Tuesday, I'm definitely going to look at travel agents!

Not sold out. How else are those of us who missed out on something in early reg trying to go for it in main registration? :)

I'm seriously tempted to just call Acclaim Travrl though for DS's 10k.

Something to consider for the Paradise Pier - yes the corrals were directly in front of the hotel but due to the change in security procedures in 2016, we were walked to the family reunion area (clearing security at Downtown Disney) and then back out to the corrals. We walked over a mile to end back right were we started when we left the hotel, practically. So it's close, but not like you can just leave the doors and go into the corrals.

Definitely the experience I had for SW this year. Well, I walked by that experience while coming from anabella. :)

We had hot water after our races, and on the morning of the half for SW this year. Fwiw.

We were in DCA on Tuesday when AP reg opened up. I was able to sit down and get DS registered for his first kids race so I was thrilled with that! I took the easy way out for myself and signed up through a TA for the Rebel Challenge prior to our vacation. Man that was worth it. I wish they sold kids bibs too. I liked not having to stress about my own registration! I have Stovalls booked currently but think I'll book Hojo as well. Its a further walk but it really is our favorite hotel in the area. It will probably come down to price in the end.

Good luck during registration! I'm so glad I was able to get us both in during AP - totally forgot I had a customer visit today!

Anyone have and idea of what the commemorative items are for Light Side? Last year they had a hat, tumbler, magnet package. Was wondering if they do that again.....

Anyone have and idea of what the commemorative items are for Light Side? Last year they had a hat, tumbler, magnet package. Was wondering if they do that again.....

I believe someone posted it on facebook. I know they had the pins and the pin packages. There was the jacket for sure. The kids race ears. The new thing I noticed was a package with a Tervis Tumbler and a race ornament. I'm gonna log on later and order my pins.

Yay!!!! Signed up for Rebel Challenge. Wow that's expensive!!!!!!

Also, does anyone know what the Tervis Tumbler or ornament look like? I feel like I got suckered into buying them in my excitement.

When I go back into my Challenge registration, it shows a $48.59
"Runner Bundle
Tervis tumbler and ornament"

...and a $46.43
"Commemorative Pin Bundle
Includes the Rebel Challenge, Half Marathon & 10K Pins"

Yay!!!! Signed up for Rebel Challenge. Wow that's expensive!!!!!!

Also, does anyone know what the Tervis Tumbler or ornament look like? I feel like I got suckered into buying them in my excitement.

No one ever knows until expo day. Apparently you can return prepurchased items that you don't like, though.

I registered my running buddy since she is working and couldn't get a break to register. Done by 12:03! Easiest runDisney registration ever for both AP and regular. What on earth? Super stoked for my first Disneyland race!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter