******Official 2017 Free Dining Plan Watch, Wait, and Dream

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like we are very lucky in the UK - you'd have to be a bit of a fool to miss the free dining offer as it is pretty regular. We have free Table Service dining included as we are staying at the Poly - they also threw in free memory maker and a $200 disney money giftcard!
This is amazing!!! I so wish that's how it worked for us!!!

We are booked towards the end of August, if FD becomes available how do I get it added to my reservation? Do I need to call or can I do it thru the app?

Thanks!

So I've already gone ahead and made a reservation, with the hope of getting free dining. My reservation shows up in my DME account, but there's no option to "modify"--only a "cancel" option. I thought I would be able to go in and modify if free dining does come out. Is that not the case? Am I going to have to just book a new reservation and cancel the original?

So I've already gone ahead and made a reservation, with the hope of getting free dining. My reservation shows up in my DME account, but there's no option to "modify"--only a "cancel" option. I thought I would be able to go in and modify if free dining does come out. Is that not the case? Am I going to have to just book a new reservation and cancel the original?

The modify button was there not that long ago. I noticed a couple days ago that it wasn't available anymore. I'm guessing it's Probably just some problems with their systems.

The modify button was there not that long ago. I noticed a couple days ago that it wasn't available anymore. I'm guessing it's Probably just some problems with their systems.

So maybe one of those things that will just randomly appear again? Gotta love Disney's IT department! Hope it shows up before any free dining announcement!

Do you all really think having a TA to book the free dining for you is an advantage? I've never relied on one--too much of a control freak and have to do everything myself!!! I also think the TA probably has other clients as well and if they're trying to book a bunch of rooms, won't that take longer than me just doing my one room myself? They don't earlier access or anything, do they?

Is there a real advantage to having a TA do this? Anyone with experience in that regard?

We have used a TA to get FD. My husband and I both work and I am not able to stay on the phone long enough to book or to make it on the web with the problems that the site has on the day it is released. We would have had to wait about 4 or 5 pm to book. Having a TA helped us get the FD offer by noon the day it was released. I am friends with my TA so I was able to chat on facebook with her throughout the day. I had given her all of our options in the order we would want them. We ended up at CSR (our last choice) and ended up loving the resort.

We booked FD last year the morning it dropped at around 4:05am. IIRC, there were many reports on here of people with existing reservations that were unable to modify to add FD from the website. Those folks had to wait until 7:00am to call and do it over the phone. Of course, by 7:00am the hold times for callers were hours-long and because 3 hours had passed availability started to become limited for some resorts and room categories. Here's the thread (post#2848 on page#143 is the moment FD dropped):

https://www.disboards.com/threads/2016-free-dining-watch-part-2.3504158/page-143

Anyone who's interested can read on from there to see what people were experiencing. Hope this helps.

ETA: if anyone is wondering, there was no early access to FD for Disney Visa holders last year but there was an additional week of availability for cardholders. I think it was a week in early August.

We booked FD last year the morning it dropped at around 4:05am. IIRC, there were many reports on here of people with existing reservations that were unable to modify to add FD from the website. Those folks had to wait until 7:00am to call and do it over the phone. Of course, by 7:00am the hold times for callers were hours-long and because 3 hours had passed availability started to become limited for some resorts and room categories. Here's the thread (post#2848 on page#143 is the moment FD dropped):

https://www.disboards.com/threads/2016-free-dining-watch-part-2.3504158/page-143

Anyone who's interested can read on from there to see what people were experiencing. Hope this helps.

ETA: if anyone is wondering, there was no early access to FD for Disney Visa holders last year but there was an additional week of availability for cardholders. I think it was a week in early August.

I'm thinking if I can't modify my existing reservation, I'll just go online and book a second one with free dining and then cancel out the first once I'm all set. That seems easier than waiting to call at 7:00. Is there any reason not to do that?

I'm thinking if I can't modify my existing reservation, I'll just go online and book a second one with free dining and then cancel out the first once I'm all set. That seems easier than waiting to call at 7:00. Is there any reason not to do that?
This is my plan too. The only downside for me is I'm Canadian so I lose money from the exchange rate on my deposit. It's the only reason I haven't paid more of my trip off.

This is exactly what you need to do if there is no modify button. Do not wait or try to call in.

This is exactly what you need to do if there is no modify button. Do not wait or try to call in.

Thanks! That's what I thought, but then I see stories of people waiting to call in and modify. And I can't figure out why! Thought I might be missing something.

Thanks! That's what I thought, but then I see stories of people waiting to call in and modify. And I can't figure out why! Thought I might be missing something.
I think people are afraid of having two reservations on the same dates or they don't want to have to make another deposit.

Thanks for the thread about adding the FD. It seems no matter what strategy I decide is best, there is always some kind of catch22. Here I thought I had it all figured out, just book at POP and hope it comes out, then add it. Sounds like maybe not! Ugh....why does it have to be so complicated. For the most Magical place on earth, you would think booking would be part of your Magical experience. There is nothing Magical about when and how FD comes out. The process to secure it is CRAZY!

This is my plan too. The only downside for me is I'm Canadian so I lose money from the exchange rate on my deposit. It's the only reason I haven't paid more of my trip off.

I think people are afraid of having two reservations on the same dates or they don't want to have to make another deposit.

I'm wondering if you can actually have two separate reservations, for the same dates, for the same people in MDE? I don't know, never tried it. If not, then you would have to cancel first, then book a new reservation with FD. Also, when you cancel an existing reservation, it does NOT cancel any ADRs you may have made. So don't worry about that part of it.

I'm wondering if you can actually have two separate reservations, for the same dates, for the same people in MDE? If not, then you would have to cancel first, then book a new reservation with FD. Also, when you cancel an existing reservation, it does NOT cancel any ADRs you may have made. So don't worry about that part of it.
Yes, you can. I've done it twice. I don't recommend holding on to two reservations for a lengthy period of time. Some people say, one or maybe both reservations will eventually be cancelled. But I've had same date reservations booked for a few days before I cancelled one of them.

My concern is I can't cancel our current reservation and make a new one without losing out big time on money. We've currently got a room at Saratoga Springs at about a $2,800 discount. So I seriously hope I won't have problems just modifying my current reservation!

Yes, you can. I've done it twice. I don't recommend holding on to two reservations for a lengthy period of time. Some people say, one or maybe both reservations will eventually be cancelled. But I've had same date reservations booked for a few days before I cancelled one of them.
Thanks! Good to know.

I'm wondering if you can actually have two separate reservations, for the same dates, for the same people in MDE? I don't know, never tried it. If not, then you would have to cancel first, then book a new reservation with FD. Also, when you cancel an existing reservation, it does NOT cancel any ADRs you may have made. So don't worry about that part of it.

Yes, you can. I had 2 reservations last year for the same dates and people when I was deciding between moderate and deluxe.

I had mine for much longer than a few days!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter