******Official 2017 Free Dining Plan Watch, Wait, and Dream

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if I booked a room via an online travel website which offered its own discount, I would not be eligible for FD?

No, not unless you're willing to give up the discount you already have. No stacking of different discounts. If you want free dining, you have to pay full rack rate for the room.

It becomes a matter of numbers--how many in party, level of resort, adults vs. kids--to figure out which would be the best deal for you.

Was just looking at FD release dates for previous years. Here's what I found:

2012-July,12
2013-May,9
2014-May,7
2015-April,27
2016-April 25

Certainly seems to be trending toward a mid to late April release date but at this point it's anyone's guess.

I think last year, too, was the first year that Visa card holders didn't get an advance chance to book. It released to everyone at the same time. I believe in previous years, Visa holders got something like 5 days advance. Last year, they all released at the same time, but Visa holders had more available dates.

I think last year, too, was the first year that Visa card holders didn't get an advance chance to book. It released to everyone at the same time. I believe in previous years, Visa holders got something like 5 days advance. Last year, they all released at the same time, but Visa holders had more available dates.

It didn't release early for visa holders in 2015 either. I can't speak for the years before that.

I might be wrong, but I think it skipped Visa holders in 2013 too.

Okay, according to Mousavers' historical data, it did release earlier for Visa holders in 2013 and 2014, not in 2015 and 2016. In 2015, nothing special for card holders at all. In 2016, the dates available for booking were expanded for card holders.

What they do this year is anybody's guess at this point!

I'm waiting for the FD promo too for our family of 6! We'd like to go for 2 weeks (and go to Universal/Volcano Bay for 3 days in there somewhere).

I'd like to go ahead and make my reservation and then hope to convert to FD when the promotion is released, but I'm nervous about picking dates.

The current promo on the website is interesting.
We booked FD last year the morning it dropped at around 4:05am. IIRC, there were many reports on here of people with existing reservations that were unable to modify to add FD from the website. Those folks had to wait until 7:00am to call and do it over the phone. Of course, by 7:00am the hold times for callers were hours-long and because 3 hours had passed availability started to become limited for some resorts and room categories. Here's the thread (post#2848 on page#143 is the moment FD dropped):

https://www.disboards.com/threads/2016-free-dining-watch-part-2.3504158/page-143

Anyone who's interested can read on from there to see what people were experiencing. Hope this helps.

ETA: if anyone is wondering, there was no early access to FD for Disney Visa holders last year but there was an additional week of availability for cardholders. I think it was a week in early August.
I read through some of the 2016 thread about a week ago. What's even more odd is that some people had the modify button, and some didn't. No way to tell why either.

I'm currently holding a room and ticket package with hopes of modifying, though if I don't get free dining, it's where I want to stay. I won't want the tickets if we don't get free dining though, and I'm thinking that would mean I would have to cancel it altogether to get a room only discount.

If this is the official thread for FD, it was so much fun last year. This guy named Dirty Steve and I think Black 395 were so helpful. This is like my Black Friday. I'm very excited for this year. And this thread is always so nice. Thanks guys.

Love this! It is kind of like Black Friday isn't it? We're booked for the third week of August, would love FD but being realistic that is prob going to offered later in the month.

If FD includes our dates we'll be booking at a Moderate but will need two separate rooms. Will we be able to book this online or have to call in to book?

So if I booked a room via an online travel website which offered its own discount, I would not be eligible for FD?
Yes, if you are getting a room discount you would not be eligible for FD. Sometimes the room discount, depending on your eating habits, is a better deal.

Love this! It is kind of like Black Friday isn't it? We're booked for the third week of August, would love FD but being realistic that is prob going to offered later in the month.
Yeah, seems like it has been the end of August. But...they may offer the "half dining" deal for your dates, which is one quick service meal a day, then you can upgrade.

Last year the free dining for Visa holders started as early as 8/14! It was 8/23 for general public.

These are last year's offers (I didn't include the room discount offers). The dates highlighted in red are the release dates.

5/29/16-8/13/16 Summer Meal Vacation Package offer (1 QS meal per person per day) – blacked out 7/1/16-7/4/16 1/19/16, exp 2/29/16

8/14/16-12/21/16 discounted package (“Free Dining”) for Disney Visa Card cardholders (blacked out 10/2/16-11/14/16, 11/22/16-11/25/16 and 11/29/16-12/9/16) 4/25/16, exp 7/8/16

8/23/16-12/21/16 discounted package (“Free Dining”) for general public (blacked out 10/2/16-11/14/16, 11/22/16-11/25/16 and 11/29/16-12/9/16) 4/25/16, exp 7/8/16

I'm curious for those that have current reservations already if you show "modify" in MDE? Mine did show it but I had to make some changes and call to have them done, now it doesn't show modify. I was really hoping to be able to add the DP if it becomes available for our dates online and avoid having to call in:(

Last edited:
We're hoping for September 9 to be a FD date, and then we'll stay for 2 weeks and uber to Universal 3 days (2 days between theme parks and one day at Volcano Bay).

We have 4 kids (17,15,13, and 9 when the trip happens), so Free Dining is the difference between going and not going. Fingers crossed! I guess I should go ahead and make the reservation and then hope to add FD when it comes available? 180 days for reservations is in 13 days so I won't know for sure when I make reservations. It's giving me irrational anxiety. I mean, it's a vacation, but I can't even think about anything else.

I'm curious for those that have current reservations already if you show "modify" in MDE? Mine did show it but I had to make some changes and call to have them done, now it doesn't show modify. I was really hoping to be able to add the DP if it becomes available for our dates online and avoid having to call in:(

I can't modify OR cancel. My reservation says:

To modify or cancel your reservation, please call...and gives a phone #

Is this because a TA made my reservation?

I can't modify OR cancel. My reservation says:

To modify or cancel your reservation, please call...and gives a phone #

Is this because a TA made my reservation?

I just checked mine and I can cancel via a button but if you click on the info button it gives the above message you got.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter