******Official 2017 Free Dining Plan Watch, Wait, and Dream

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just want to clarify something--thinking of trying for the FD this year if it works out. Will be there 9/29-10/6 which is checking in on a Friday and checking out on the following Friday. I know the DP is per night so that's 7 nights. Are our credits good thru midnight on the day we check out, so if that's Friday, they'll be good all that day? We're driving down from Indiana so won't get there til late on check in day and not planning on using any credits that day. We plan on staying all day at parks on check out day and hoping to still use dining credits then.

Also, I know we have to do our park tickets with Disney making it a package. Do we have to get tickets for every day that we're there? Planning on doing one full day at Disney Springs, so only want tickets for 6 days

Just want to clarify something--thinking of trying for the FD this year if it works out. Will be there 9/29-10/6 which is checking in on a Friday and checking out on the following Friday. I know the DP is per night so that's 7 nights. Are our credits good thru midnight on the day we check out, so if that's Friday, they'll be good all that day? We're driving down from Indiana so won't get there til late on check in day and not planning on using any credits that day. We plan on staying all day at parks on check out day and hoping to still use dining credits then.

Also, I know we have to do our park tickets with Disney making it a package. Do we have to get tickets for every day that we're there? Planning on doing one full day at Disney Springs, so only want tickets for 6 days

Yes, dining credits are good until midnight the day you check out. Unless something changes for this year, you only need to buy a minimum of two day park tickets.

Now that's golden! :) I love POFQ! Is that for quick service or regular TS?
We've chosen QS - could have upgraded to TS but we're 3 generations including my DGS with special needs (limited food that he likes) so QS will suit us fine with an add on of 3/4 TS ADR's (he loves Rainforest Cafe and DGD wants BOG!).

I'm still in the great debate of pre-book vs waiting until dates are announced. Last year, we decided in April to go in September or something like that. Dates had already been announced and I am thinking now that we lucked out. We got POR with FD. I saw it on Disney's website and I was waiting for a Disney travel agent friend to get us booked. She took too long so after more than 12 hours of staring at the room on the website, I booked it. Of course, I probably would have been less panicked and let her work her magic if I hadn't started reading all the forums and blogs. :rotfl2:

I have reached out to a TA for the first time since finding these boards in 1999. I have gotten Free Dining every year since 2006 on my own. But it is such a big part of my planning this year, I think the extra help getting it is worth trusting a TA. between us, I hope one of us will snag it!

Do you all really think having a TA to book the free dining for you is an advantage? I've never relied on one--too much of a control freak and have to do everything myself!!! I also think the TA probably has other clients as well and if they're trying to book a bunch of rooms, won't that take longer than me just doing my one room myself? They don't earlier access or anything, do they?

Is there a real advantage to having a TA do this? Anyone with experience in that regard?

Do you all really think having a TA to book the free dining for you is an advantage? I've never relied on one--too much of a control freak and have to do everything myself!!! I also think the TA probably has other clients as well and if they're trying to book a bunch of rooms, won't that take longer than me just doing my one room myself? They don't earlier access or anything, do they?

Is there a real advantage to having a TA do this? Anyone with experience in that regard?

If you stalk these boards constantly and know when fd is going to drop, then no, it's better to book it yourself. If you don't pay attention to dates, but know it might be coming, I suppose a TA could be beneficial, if they've promised to try to secure fd for you. The problem is, the TA may need several back up plans for resorts/room categories. By the time you factor in emailing/calling one another, it seems like the desirable rooms at mods are gone. I remember last year, people panicking when it was released because they were dealing with an agent. If you see what you want online, you should just book it yourself.

If you're interested in spicing up the wait a little, Dad's Guide to WdW have created a Free dining waiting list. You can sign up and get weekly updates on the rumours that we all hope will match our travelling dates :)

Would you mind posting a link? looked around on is website and it's not jumping out at me. Thanks for the tip, always ready to spice things up...lol

I remember the last time we went, people on the boards were in complete panic because they had existing reservations that their ta was trying to modify and the ta reservation line had them on hold for something like 6 hours. I would go nuts sitting and waiting. I would personally rather be the one on hold and know I had the control of what was happening and be able to make decisions on the fly if I needed to change something.

I don't like handing it over to a TA. Nobody is going to watch for what I want like I am, especially when they are booking for multiple clients. I have nothing against TA's but when it's as specific as this, I want to be the one looking out for it. I don't mind using a TA when the stakes aren't as high, but mostly I have a love/hate relationship with all of the planning and do it myself.
This morning was my ADR date for our trip. We're at a basketball tournament with my son, and one of his friends is with us too. I had to sneak into the bathroom of our hotel room with my IPAD and my list at 5:45 a.m. :rolleyes1

I got everything I wanted, at the exact time I wanted it! At the last minute last night I switched things up and put our BOG and Ohana reservations later in our trip week rather than at the start where I had them. It turned out to be a good move because all the times I wanted were taken for both earlier in the week.
I also had to sign back in and back out a few times because of website issues but overall I'm very pleased. Now I just need a Rivers of Light dining package for one of our two Animal Kingdom days and we are all set. Oh and free dining.. need that part too!:rolleyes:

Yes, dining credits are good until midnight the day you check out. Unless something changes for this year, you only need to buy a minimum of two day park tickets.

Thank you so much! That's what I thought, but wanted to make sure.

I look at it as one more person trying for me. If I get it, I'll go with that. If she gets it, I'll go with her. If we both get it, I'll go with her for the effort. Been there done that. If she can do some of the heavy lifting, I'm happy to let her.

Last edited:
I feel like we are very lucky in the UK - you'd have to be a bit of a fool to miss the free dining offer as it is pretty regular. We have free Table Service dining included as we are staying at the Poly - they also threw in free memory maker and a $200 disney money giftcard!

Last year in fall it was reported here that TA's were having just as much difficulty booking online when FD/RO was announced and the Disney phone lines were lit on fire! People were on hold for hours, regular guests and TA's. Some people were really let down and ended up having to cancel their per-booked rooms & packages altogether because they didn't get the discount they were banking on. The promotions were extremely limited in quantity, it was so frustrating. I actually signed up to be alerted when the discount came out and didn't receive the notice until 10:30am, by then the dance was over and I was shunned! About two weeks later I just took a chance a found a RO discount for WL on my phone and called them immediately. Unfortunately I had to cancel our entire trip due to my mothers poor health. Disney was VERY generous.
It's not a matter of being a control freak, it's about securing what you can afford and getting exactly what you want. Do yourself a favor and stay on top of this, go to your "go to websites" and stay on them faithfully. I wish you much luck and may pixie dust blow your way!:hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter