Official 2017 Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend Thread

I think there's a good chance we'll see themes by Princess Weekend if this isn't selling well, or cloesely thereafter. It may be something as slight as a change to the wording on the website like last year.

Add me to the roll call for the half! I just completed my first half at the SWLS in January. My friend and I fast walked it and had a blast--which was a good thing as we'd already signed up for the Tink half and this half. I was worried about the knees on pavement. They were stiff for about a week--probably more from the 10 miles of park walking and standing on concrete I did AFTER the half. I won't be doing that next time :) Interesting about the themes. We were just going to go with the anything goes theory, but switching to something more marketable if it doesn't sell well would definitely make sense.

I am running the 5k this year only and an a little concerned that we wont get to run through california adventures....last year it the little bio about it it said through disneyland park and california adventures...this year the 5k does not say that...

Half marathon:

You will be cheered on as you follow the course through Disney California Adventure® Park, Disneyland® Park, the Disneyland® Resort and the streets of Anaheim, you'll complete your Half Marathon race with a surprise-filled finish near the Disneyland® Hotel.

10k:
The Disneyland® 10K starts on the streets of Anaheim, passing through the Grand Plaza of the Anaheim Convention Center before entering Cars Land at Disney California Adventure® Park. Continue into Disneyland Park, down Main Street, U.S.A. before completing the final stretch of the course through the Downtown Disney® District and arriving at the finish line next to the Disneyland® Hotel.

5k:

Bring out the family and enjoy a fun run together throughout the spectacular Disneyland® Resort at sunrise!

this is my moms first 5k ever and I hope its as magical as my first one was last year at this race.

I'm signed up for the 1/2. It will be my 4th 1/2 and 4th RunDisney event (2016 Tink, 2017 SWLS and 2017 Tink being the three that will come before it). I fast-walk them along with my partner in crime, CaliiforniaGirl09, who I recruited after I did Tink last year. (We're both already signed up for the 2018 SWLS as well -- the Rebel Challenge for me.) I'm not 100% on doing this one, since it might have competition from a college football roadtrip weekend, but I think it's pretty likely that I'll end up at Disneyland on Labor Day weekend :) I wasn't aware that themes are assigned to the individual races. That's definitely a must-know before shopping for costumes.

I'm sad.:( I was holding out on this until they released the themes to see if I really wanted to run it. I guess I'm not now. :sad1:

You don't have to totally despair ... yet.

Not sure that any spots will remain available after the theme is revealed but the travel providers listed on the runDisney site all still seem to have 10k availability. Some of them are charging more than the regular fee and it looks like you have to buy a 1-day ticket but at least bibs are still available. I'm sure some of the charities might still have openings too, though I didn't check their availability and their fundraising commitments.

Also, it has not been uncommon for additional spots to open at previously sold-out races lately. Either runDisney creates extra inventory, "buys back" bibs that travel providers couldn't sell, or splits some of the allotment previously assigned to the challenge if that doesn't sell out. Not sure if or when this might happen but if you can be flexible with travel plans, you just have to keep following threads like this and be ready to pounce.

Sorry if it turns out to be a theme that you like and you aren't able to make it. But no need to lose all hope just yet. Good luck!

Not sure that any spots will remain available after the theme is revealed but the travel providers listed on the runDisney site all still seem to have 10k availability. Some of them are charging more than the regular fee and it looks like you have to buy a 1-day ticket but at least bibs are still available. I'm sure some of the charities might still have openings too, though I didn't check their availability and their fundraising commitments.

Also, it has not been uncommon for additional spots to open at previously sold-out races lately. Either runDisney creates extra inventory, "buys back" bibs that travel providers couldn't sell, or splits some of the allotment previously assigned to the challenge if that doesn't sell out. Not sure if or when this might happen but if you can be flexible with travel plans, you just have to keep following threads like this and be ready to pounce.

Sorry if it turns out to be a theme that you like and you aren't able to make it. But no need to lose all hope just yet. Good luck!

Not sure how much of a markup from the regular fee they're charging but it's worth keeping in mind that the fee charged by TAs typically includes the Active charges added during registration.

I'm sad.:( I was holding out on this until they released the themes to see if I really wanted to run it. I guess I'm not now. :sad1:

If Rawthreads still has bibs when you're ready, you can be one of my two buddy passes. My husband gets the other one, obviously. :)

I'm in for the Double Dare Challenge - still on the fence for the 5K. Holding out for the medal release.

If Rawthreads still has bibs when you're ready, you can be one of my two buddy passes. My husband gets the other one, obviously. :)

I'm in for the Double Dare Challenge - still on the fence for the 5K. Holding out for the medal release.
You are a completely amazing person!!!!! Thank you!!!!! :hug:When the theme is released, I will totally let you know.

Here's hoping the whole weekend has a good theme for all of us! :grouphug: I just wish they would release it already!!!! :rolleyes1 Maybe at Princess?

Thanks for the option. Unfortunately I am an AP so an extra ticket would do a whole lot for me but I will definitely keep all of that in mind once the themes are released.

Ok Disney you finally got me. I broke down and added the 5k onto my Double Dare weekend after watching it sit there open for so long. Just take all my $$$!!!

I spoke to the rundisney attendant at the surf city expo today and he let it slip that the medals are going to be Pixar themed.

I really hope Cars sticks to kids races and we get Finding Nemo, Toy Story and Monsters INC for the others. wall-e is okay too. :)

I spoke to the rundisney attendant at the surf city expo today and he let it slip that the medals are going to be Pixar themed.

I really hope Cars sticks to kids races and we get Finding Nemo, Toy Story and Monsters INC for the others. wall-e is okay too. :)

Love it! Given the Bug's Life and Cars presence at DL (plus the new Cars movie coming out) it's hard to see them being left out. Plus Pixar allows for a continuation of the best friends/dynamic duos that they started last year. My starting guess for theming is:

Kids' Races: Bug's Life (Flik and Heimlich/Atta)
5k: Finding Nemo (Nemo and Dory)
10k: Cars (Lightning McQueen and Mater)
Half: Monsters, Inc (Sully and Mike)
Challenge: Buzz and Woody's Toy Story Tour

Of those, I'd say Bugs Life is most likely to be dropped in favor of bringing in Russell and Dug from Up. I have a hard time seeing Wall-E making the cut, though.

Regardless, Mrs camaker rearranged her travel schedule so she could come out with me, so I'm off to register us!

Those suggestions, @camaker , are awesome. I am really excited to see what they come up with and keeping Mickey and Pals at WDW makes our Disneyland race so much more special. No more crossing characters.

@MommaoffherRocker - As long as it's not Tow Mater on the half medal I'll be happy ;)

I was joking with my husband that Disney would change this race to Pixar and my luck, we'd end up with the Tow Mater Half Marathon. Now it's a possibility and I'm sort of nervous about it. But, I think the medals will look super cool regardless... I haven't really been disappointed.

Hey Disney, if Tow Mater has to be on something.... let it be the 5K so I can skip that race. :rotfl:

@MommaoffherRocker - As long as it's not Tow Mater on the half medal I'll be happy ;)

I was joking with my husband that Disney would change this race to Pixar and my luck, we'd end up with the Tow Mater Half Marathon. Now it's a possibility and I'm sort of nervous about it. But, I think the medals will look super cool regardless... I haven't really been disappointed.

Hey Disney, if Tow Mater has to be on something.... let it be the 5K so I can skip that race. :rotfl:

Don't be a Mater hater! I don't see him making an appearance, though, unless a) they keep the "best friends" theme and he makes it with Lightning or b) the entire weekend is Cars themed and he makes the 5k/10k medal.

My dd (15) is in for the 10k for this weekend. She's been doing the 1/2s for the other DL races but since this falls right at the start of her cross country season and we don't have her meet schedule yet she didn't want to do too much. She's celebrating the end of the season with the super heroes challenge. Lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter