• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OFFICIAL 2014 WDW Marathon Countdown: WE DID IT! Congrats everyone!

Weather here is really conspiring against us. We were hoping to do another 6-7 mile run today, but it's in the teens and snowing and blowing like crazy. I guess we can head to the treadmills but ugg....

Still I guess the heat of running inside will be good practice for the warmth they are predicting for the weekend.

Darn. I was really hoping for some milder weather. Training here up north has not prepared me at all for a run in the 80's.

I sweated through the Tower of Terror 10 miles of 2012 in just about the same time it took me to run in the sleet half marathon of 2010. That heat knocks me down...

35F today in Montreal. Off for 7 miles......

Still I guess the heat of running inside will be good practice for the warmth they are predicting for the weekend.

Yup, that's what I kept telling myself while I did my 7 on the treadmill in the gym today. they really crank up the heat in our gym, and i went up to the second level, and used the treadmill up there, my head just inches below one of the ceiling lamps. felt good though afterwards to walk through ice and snow to get to my car!

I did a 5.5 miler with DW this morning and temperature was 64F at 0615. I just got back from an easy 24 mile bicycle ride and temps are up to 78F. For those from colder climates, almost the whole USA, your body IS NOT going to be happy even if you do sufficient hydration.

My suggestion is to have a super fun time and forget about setting a PR. Even if the temps are not scorching, the humidity will most likely be up there causing other issues.

Be safe in your journey to WDW and let's have a great time.

McFlurry John

I did a 5.5 miler with DW this morning and temperature was 64F at 0615. I just got back from an easy 24 mile bicycle ride and temps are up to 78F. For those from colder climates, almost the whole USA, your body IS NOT going to be happy even if you do sufficient hydration.

My suggestion is to have a super fun time and forget about setting a PR. Even if the temps are not scorching, the humidity will most likely be up there causing other issues.

Be safe in your journey to WDW and let's have a great time.

McFlurry John

The PR, exception, of course being for people who like me are running their first marathon. :)

All this talk about the temperature and not going for a PR is giving me a headache. I didn't train all year not to go for. In 2013 I set 4 PR's. A one mile, 5k, 10 mile, and a half marathon PR and I plan on starting 2014 out with a PR in the marathon. Under 3:30 on Sunday for me!!!

All this talk about the temperature and not going for a PR is giving me a headache. I didn't train all year not to go for. In 2013 I set 4 PR's. A one mile, 5k, 10 mile, and a half marathon PR and I plan on starting 2014 out with a PR in the marathon. Under 3:30 on Sunday for me!!!
Mind over weather!

So veterans, tell me about the port-o-potty/bathroom situation. I don't want an extra 15 minutes added to my time b/c I was waiting in lines. Does using the ones in the parks save time?

So veterans, tell me about the port-o-potty/bathroom situation. I don't want an extra 15 minutes added to my time b/c I was waiting in lines. Does using the ones in the parks save time?

Yes! At least, I've always stopped at the ladies' room in Tomorrowland and there are tons of stalls with no waiting. Plus, sinks!

Yes! At least, I've always stopped at the ladies' room in Tomorrowland and there are tons of stalls with no waiting. Plus, sinks!

We had a long wait for the toilet in Tomorrowland. Even with all the stalls we had to wait quite awhile. But, I felt like it was totally worth it for a real bathroom. We stopped again in DAK and there was almost no wait there.

If lines in Tomorrowland keep going toward teacups. Restrooms off to left are a little off course but during last years full when tomorrowland lines were out the door it was just me and one other lady in restrooms by teacups. Awesome!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Oh, I had forgotten, but at Princess this year we stopped at the restroom in Frontierland. I don't remember it being busy.

Oh, I had forgotten, but at Princess this year we stopped at the restroom in Frontierland. I don't remember it being busy.

That Frontierland restroom is HUGE, which helps with lines. I think it's the last real restroom for a very long time too.

About a PR.......

DW worked a 5K on Saturday and some runners were tossing cookies with temperatures only in the 59F range. My caution was not so much for the hard core-super trained-will do whatever it takes cause I spent the money-honey person, but for those who feel they trained enough and besides, what difference does a 10 to 20 degree increase in temperature plus high humidity make since it really is winter anyway and I was able to easily do the 20 miler in 40F or lower temperatures. I'm used to the warmth and yesterday with temperature at 64F within 3 miles I was sweating.

Just a friendly caution. :wave2:

McFlurry John

About a PR.......

DW worked a 5K on Saturday and some runners were tossing cookies with temperatures only in the 59F range. My caution was not so much for the hard core-super trained-will do whatever it takes cause I spent the money-honey person, but for those who feel they trained enough and besides, what difference does a 10 to 20 degree increase in temperature plus high humidity make since it really is winter anyway and I was able to easily do the 20 miler in 40F or lower temperatures. I'm used to the warmth and yesterday with temperature at 64F within 3 miles I was sweating.

Just a friendly caution. :wave2:

McFlurry John

Yesterday at 35F I was sweating, so for me that's not much of an indicator. I'm always sweating, I run hot. But your point is well taken. Even though I've run plenty of training runs and races during the summer in temps as high as the 70s and 80s, it's been months since I have. Well, since I spent Thanksgiving in Florida, actually. So caution is warranted.

Jeff Galloway has a formula in which one should add a certain number of seconds to one's pace for each 5 degree jump over 60F - and it looks like even at race start, pretty much all of the races (with the possible exception of the 5K) will start over 60F. So it's time to ease up a little on the pace expectations.

Yesterday at 35F I was sweating, so for me that's not much of an indicator. I'm always sweating, I run hot. But your point is well taken. Even though I've run plenty of training runs and races during the summer in temps as high as the 70s and 80s, it's been months since I have. Well, since I spent Thanksgiving in Florida, actually. So caution is warranted.

Jeff Galloway has a formula in which one should add a certain number of seconds to one's pace for each 5 degree jump over 60F - and it looks like even at race start, pretty much all of the races (with the possible exception of the 5K) will start over 60F. So it's time to ease up a little on the pace expectations.

Great post and have a great time. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

McFlurry John

I believe Galloway's formula is that if the temperature hits 70 you should slow your pace by 1 minute per mile. If it hits 80, then slow down another minute per mile.

I also remember seeing some other formula in the past that took into account temperature and humidity. Perhaps someone else can shed some light on that.

We are in corral H, so at least we will be able to run the first 90 minutes or so with no sun. Our goal is to finish in 5 hours. Taking into account that we will probably run more than 26.2, that is about an 11:15 pace. I do not think that is pushing ourselves too much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter