• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OFFICIAL 2014 WDW Marathon Countdown: WE DID IT! Congrats everyone!

I believe Galloway's formula is that if the temperature hits 70 you should slow your pace by 1 minute per mile. If it hits 80, then slow down another minute per mile.

I also remember seeing some other formula in the past that took into account temperature and humidity. Perhaps someone else can shed some light on that.

We are in corral H, so at least we will be able to run the first 90 minutes or so with no sun. Our goal is to finish in 5 hours. Taking into account that we will probably run more than 26.2, that is about an 11:15 pace. I do not think that is pushing ourselves too much.

We have the same goal!!

My last long run was 23 miles here in FL, and by the end it was about 80 degrees. I was able to keep my pace at 11:15 in that heat and humidity. I think it REALLY helped getting a good amount of miles in before the sun came out in force.

I'll be in Corral J, and hoping for some cloudy skies for as long as possible!!

Good luck everyone!

Didn't they adjust the 16/min mile last year because of the heat? This year it looks like it is going to be hotter. Last year it was around 55 at the start and then worked it's way up into the 70's by the end. Looks like a start in the 60's this year.

I believe Galloway's formula is that if the temperature hits 70 you should slow your pace by 1 minute per mile. If it hits 80, then slow down another minute per mile.

Here it is from his website: When the temperature rises above 60° F: runners slow down by 30 seconds a mile for every 5 degrees above 60° F. Walkers slow down enough to avoid huffing and puffing.

I have a question regarding the 5K. I am running the 5K as part of the dopey. I am wondering what time you would typically finish for the 5K? I see that the race starts at 6:15 but I'm wondering what time I actually be able to get back to my hotel. I'm staying at Pop. It will take me 25 to 30 minutes to finish the 5K. Does anyone remember from past races approximately what time they're able to get back to their hotels? I have a tour at Magic Kingdom at 9:30 I want to make sure I can get there in time. I have a feeling my best bet is to just pack a change of clothes and head straight to Magic Kingdom after the race.

Two thoughts on the course. It is going to be tight through fantasyland past Winnie the Pooh. Also the exit from frontierland to the backstage area is under construction today, concrete work. I am sure it will be done.

Mainly I just wanted to mention I am at the MK today and not in 14 inches of snow at home.

RunningatDisney.com put up pictures of the race shirts on her blog,the marathon one appears to be gray with sky blue and red.The half marathon one looks dark,either dark blue or possibly black with yellow,red and sky blue letters.The 10K is red with blue lettering and the 5K is green with yellow lettering and designs.No pictures of Goofy or Dopey.

2014-wdw-Marathon-shirt-designs.jpg

You're right,it looks closer to white.

So I am trying to print out all the paperwork/confirmations I may need for the race and vacation overall. Am I missing anything?

- Race waiver
- Pasta in the Park confirmation email and waiver
- Hotel reservation confirmations
- Voucher for the marathon artwork card thingy (it's free, why not)

Will print boarding passes when I check in tomorrow morning

So I am trying to print out all the paperwork/confirmations I may need for the race and vacation overall. Am I missing anything? - Race waiver - Pasta in the Park confirmation email and waiver - Hotel reservation confirmations - Voucher for the marathon artwork card thingy (it's free, why not) Will print boarding passes when I check in tomorrow morning
Is the pasta in the parks voucher the paper the tickets came on?

Weather Channel is now showing a high of 70 for Sunday. Much better than the forecasts earlier this week. Keeping fingers crossed that this forecast will hold for the next few days.

Weather Channel is now showing a high of 70 for Sunday. Much better than the forecasts earlier this week. Keeping fingers crossed that this forecast will hold for the next few days.

The weather channel app on my iPad definitely did not say that when I checked a few hours ago! I do see it on the website though. It almost looks too good to be true...i'm not getting my hopes up!

The weather changes hourly, lol. There are increasing chances of rain the days around Sunday. Sunday seems good though :-)

I am just catching up on this tread, so forgive me if this has been stated.

After my last few long runs, anything over 15 miles, I have come home and taken an ice cold bath. OH MY GOSH...it was great, well after not during-but after. In fact, after my last run I came in from 35 degrees and raining and sat in a cold bath. :scared:

Other then an ongoing blister problem on my pinky toe, if I take the cold bath I have absolutely no soreness. Try it, especially if you are hitting the parks after your run.

Good luck to all!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter