Official 2014 Tinker Bell Half Marathon

Thanks for the tip! I just requested to join :)

Great! I cleaned out my work out wear drawers this weekend and made a pretty nice amount of $$ to supplement my trip to the Food & Wine Fest in 2 weeks :cool1: (of course, then one of my cats turned into Little Miss Sneezy so half of it went to the vet, but I still came out ahead!)

Oh its lovely! But I don't see myself doing training runs in any of the glittery skirts really. The glitter scares me lol. But definitely a really pretty skirt!

Shamrockn is in March so that would be another race to wear the skirt. It's a flat course and I have helped two friends PR over the last two years. The finish line is inside Raley field.

Shamrockn is in March so that would be another race to wear the skirt. It's a flat course and I have helped two friends PR over the last two years. The finish line is inside Raley field.

How did you know I was just looking at an email about registration for Shamrockn? :lmao: Reg opens on 11/1. I know it sells out every year. I wish they had a 10K. I dont know that I want to do 3 halfs so close together. It would be Tink in Jan, then Shamrockn in March, then Surfers Path/Capitola Half in May.

How did you know I was just looking at an email about registration for Shamrockn? :lmao: Reg opens on 11/1. I know it sells out every year. I wish they had a 10K. I dont know that I want to do 3 halfs so close together. It would be Tink in Jan, then Shamrockn in March, then Surfers Path/Capitola Half in May.

Please tell me more about the Surfers Path in Capitola. Have you done this before ?
Used to spend my summers in Capitola and I have not been back in years.

Please tell me more about the Surfers Path in Capitola. Have you done this before ?
Used to spend my summers in Capitola and I have not been back in years.

I have not done it before but have heard good things online. This will be its third year. The full is called the Surfers Path Marathon and the half is the Capitola Half. The race is Sunday May 18th. The course sounds fabulous! The half (and full) starts near the Santa Cruz Boardwak goes to Capitola and back and you finish on the beach in Santa Cruz. I love Capitola and Santa Cruz so I'm really excited about it! The medal is shaped like a surfboard and just darling!

www.surferspathmarathon.com
They have a facebook page as well. The race info isn't updated on there but they post random stuff about once a month.

I have not done it before but have heard good things online. This will be its third year. The full is called the Surfers Path Marathon and the half is the Capitola Half. The race is Sunday May 18th. The course sounds fabulous! The half (and full) starts near the Santa Cruz Boardwak goes to Capitola and back and you finish on the beach in Santa Cruz. I love Capitola and Santa Cruz so I'm really excited about it! The medal is shaped like a surfboard and just darling!

www.surferspathmarathon.com
They have a facebook page as well. The race info isn't updated on there but they post random stuff about once a month.

Thanks for the info. I just might need to think about doing that. :)

Doing multiple halfs that close together isn't much of a problem as long as you have done the proper training and you taper correctly for each half. I did Urban Cow two weeks ago, Folsom this Saturday and the Davis Turkey Trot Half next month. I have done halfs over consecutive weekends and PR'd both so it really is not as hard as you would think. Besides, having races closer together is good motivation to get the training in.

Shamrockn' is a flat course and you get beer at the end :cool1:

Doing multiple halfs that close together isn't much of a problem as long as you have done the proper training and you taper correctly for each half. I did Urban Cow two weeks ago, Folsom this Saturday and the Davis Turkey Trot Half next month. I have done halfs over consecutive weekends and PR'd both so it really is not as hard as you would think. Besides, having races closer together is good motivation to get the training in.

And its good beer too! Or sounds like it was last year at least :)

You almost have me convinced. One last question for you...Have you done (or have you heard much about) the Running of the Elk in Elk Grove? I know its sponsored by Kaiser and usually they have good events. I love running in EG since its what I'm familiar with. Just not sure that it would be worth doing a half out here. I guess what I'm getting at is if you had to choose btwn Shamrockn and Running of the Elk, which would you choose?

And its good beer too! Or sounds like it was last year at least :)

You almost have me convinced. One last question for you...Have you done (or have you heard much about) the Running of the Elk in Elk Grove? I know its sponsored by Kaiser and usually they have good events. I love running in EG since its what I'm familiar with. Just not sure that it would be worth doing a half out here. I guess what I'm getting at is if you had to choose btwn Shamrockn and Running of the Elk, which would you choose?

Definitely Shamrockn'. I have not done Running of the Elk myself, but my wife. son and dughter-in-law have all done it. It is a flat course, but also a very boring course. Shamrockn' starts outside Raley Field and goes through downtown by the Capitol, on the American River Bike Trail, through Old Sac and ends inside the stadium. You cross the tower bridge twice so there is more to see anf much more variety on the Shamrockn course.

The only thing I like better about Running of the Elk is the medals are better, but the Shamrockn shirts are better so its a toss up there.

My wife and I decided all our races next year will be ones the we have never done before so I won't be doing either of these. So far we are planning to do the Tinkerbell races (all three), a 12 hour endurance run, Running with the Bears by Lassen (haven't decided between the half and full yet), the Portland Marathon, possibly CIM and a marathon sponsored by the running group I coach in if it happens next year. If I do the three marathons as planned I will qualify for Marathon Maniacs.

Definitely Shamrockn'. I have not done Running of the Elk myself, but my wife. son and dughter-in-law have all done it. It is a flat course, but also a very boring course. Shamrockn' starts outside Raley Field and goes through downtown by the Capitol, on the American River Bike Trail, through Old Sac and ends inside the stadium. You cross the tower bridge twice so there is more to see anf much more variety on the Shamrockn course.

The only thing I like better about Running of the Elk is the medals are better, but the Shamrockn shirts are better so its a toss up there.

My wife and I decided all our races next year will be ones the we have never done before so I won't be doing either of these. So far we are planning to do the Tinkerbell races (all three), a 12 hour endurance run, Running with the Bears by Lassen (haven't decided between the half and full yet), the Portland Marathon, possibly CIM and a marathon sponsored by the running group I coach in if it happens next year. If I do the three marathons as planned I will qualify for Marathon Maniacs.

Thanks for the input! Shamrockn definitely sounds like a nice course. I'll probably see how training is going come mid December and register then if I look to be injury free. Your run schedule looks like fun! Though I'm not a marathon or indurance runner those look like great races. Good luck joining the marathon maniacs! I hope to join the half fanatics someday :)

Thanks for the input! Shamrockn definitely sounds like a nice course. I'll probably see how training is going come mid December and register then if I look to be injury free. Your run schedule looks like fun! Though I'm not a marathon or indurance runner those look like great races. Good luck joining the marathon maniacs! I hope to join the half fanatics someday :)

Keep an eye on the race since it does tend to sell out really fast. it sold out on Jan 3rd this year.

I joined half fanatics last year and qualified by doing two halfs within 9 days. If you do three in 90 days you will qualify. By doing Tink and Shamrockn you would need to do one more by 4/19/14. Running of the Elk is on 4/6/14 so that could be your third race.

Agreed! I usually do 1 half a month but ended up doing 3 in a 33 day span and it was no problem. I actually felt like I was more warmed up and ready to go! I'm in the Half Fanatic club and there are people that do them every single weekend for a year straight (in fact many do). One gal just completed 52 halfs in 6 1/2 months (that's a 1/2 every single Saturday and Sunday of every week for 6 months....) Yowsa!

I did the portland half a few weeks ago and it was life altering amazing.... If there is any full I would do its portland. Amazing amazing swag. 2 shirts, one when you finish, medal, charm, rose, great food and treats. Honestly not one bad thing to say about it!

Here's a question regarding corral placement:
-Will a 10k time of 1 hr 25 minutes keep me out of the last corral?

A long shot I know.

A long shot I know.

My guess us yes. There will be people without proof that end up in last corral or those with a slower time than that. You might be in 2nd to last but maybe not last! :)

RangerPooh said:

A long shot I know.

It should. Anything above a 3:15 needs a 10k or longer qualifier, so you should definitely submit it. I imagine the last corral will be those who didn't do a qualifier. Congrats on your time, I do my 10k for placement tomorrow.

wickedpixie13 said:
It should. Anything above a 3:15 needs a 10k or longer qualifier, so you should definitely submit it. I imagine the last corral will be those who didn't do a qualifier. Congrats on your time, I do my 10k for placement tomorrow.

A 3:15 estimated half finish time, I mean.

Thanks for the replies. I do plan to submit my time, and will hope for the best :)

My next question, are the sweepers (aka balloon ladies ) in each corral or only after the last corral?

Thanks!

I will be in the last corral!! I have no proof of time :(
It doesn't help that I just registered yesterday.

But Tink will be my first half!!

Thanks for the replies. I do plan to submit my time, and will hope for the best :)

My next question, are the sweepers (aka balloon ladies ) in each corral or only after the last corral?

Thanks!

Only in the last corral. Check my blog for balloon lady info! I interviewed one of them in August. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter