Official 2014 Dopey Challenge Thread!

I think the pricing indicates that you would get a Goofy medal as well. If you as them up separately then that leaves about $45 I think to cover the cost of that 4th medal and shirt...

I think that it would only be right to get the Goofy medal for the achievement of the half + full, and the dopey for all three...

Wasn't going to do Goofy until 2015 but I think I need to do this..

The (alleged) Active.com page where the prices were listed shows the 10K at $95 for early registration, not $160.

I doubt the Dopey will include the 5K.

Lets get to the real question....

How many medals will you get. Cuz this is all about the bling!!!! :rotfl2:

If the Dopey is 10K, Half, Full...

Will you get 5 medals?
One for the 10K
One for the Half
One for the Full
One for the Goofy
One for the Dopey

Or will it just be 4 medals with no Goofy medal?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I would think you would still receive the Goofy medal for completing the Dopey. You still get the full and half medals when completing the Goofy. When you do the Dopey, you are still completing the Goofy. I still don't have a Goofy medal. 2014 was the year I was planning on finally getting one. So if the Dopey doesn't include the Goofy medal I will just do the Goofy so I can get the coveted medal. If the Dopey does include the Goofy medal I am going to go Dopey. If this makes sense to anyone but me, I will be amazed.:rotfl:

It's official! 4 races and SIX medals! WOOT! Now THAT is something to seriously consider!

5k medal
10k medal
1/2 Donald Medal
Full Mickey Medal
Goofy Medal
Dopey medal

Bring on the BLING!

Traditionally, they have had an 'unofficial' packet pickup on race morning for the 5k. As the race gets closer, it is worth a question.

OR - I know a certain coach who is looking at a house just off property who may be persuaded to pick up a packet of two. No commitments , yet.

That is good to know...and if need be it's great to know you might be able to pick up a packet.

I think I'm going to sign up and hope for the best with work and figuring out packet pickup. Worry about that later.

I'm in! The $495 is a little steep though. Plus I will have to do the race retreat. I can't imagine that they will have anything in the tent for a 10k. I am sure if Disney can make a dollar off of it I'm sure they will.

Was anyone else initially really excited and then started thinking about it... and realized, "this absolute, complete and total madness?"

It's amazing that suddenly the former crown jewel of the weekend is now "just" the Goofy Challenge... Kind of takes the wind out of my 39.3 mile veteran sails.

kmorganj said:
It's amazing that suddenly the former crown jewel of the weekend is now "just" the Goofy Challenge... Kind of takes the wind out of my 39.3 mile veteran sails.

My max so far is "only" a half. I'm feeling sort of like a slacker at this point.

I got a job, to pay race costs, with the hopes of doing the DDD in 2014. Then I got to thinking, maybe I want to go for the C2C medal. With Minnie as the medal for the 10k, this peaks my interest. Then I would have to do the half, to qualify for the C2C medal. The thing is, I have to decide soon. I was hoping for more time to decide which other race I would be interested in. I had sticker shock as well. At some point, Disney will price some runners out.

Was anyone else initially really excited and then started thinking about it... and realized, "this absolute, complete and total madness?"

I find myself excited, and yet wondering if it makes more sense to do the Dopey in 2015. That way, I can get the 10th anniversary Goofy medal and the Dopey medal in one trip. This, of course, would depend upon Disney keeping the Dopey in 2015. And it would mean paying a little more,for Dopey 2015 cuz you know Disney will bump the fee up a bit more. The only drawback would be not getting the inaugural Dopey medal (assuming the 2015 version would be different).

I had plans to do Goofy in 2015 for the anniversary but if Dopey is an option I guess I'm going to have to do it,6 medals and shirts is way too tempting.It definitely would be a once in a lifetime thing,Disney has me for the full marathon every year but to get me to get up that early that many days in a row along with the amount of running involved,along with the pricey entry fee,along with the hotel prices,it's just way too many things that I have no plans to commit to for 2014.2015 however being the Goofy anniversary I think I might just be insane enough to try it,I think I fear the sleep thing more than anything else as I am usually going to sleep at 2-3am instead of getting up to run a marathon.This October I'll do the ToT 10 miler followed by the marathon in 2014 and then I guess I'll sign up for Dopey in 2015.

If anyone finds out or knows if they are going to change the Donald or Goofy medal please post. I know they will change the date but will they change the design. I can't do the Dopey so now it boils down to the 10K and full if medals don't change, or 10K and Goofy if they do.

I read a couple weeks ago that the Donald, Mickey and Goofy medals were new for 2014. I found the news on Goofy strange as the 10th is in 2015 and Disney generally will not revise a medal the year before a major anniversary.

This morning I could not find that article but on reviewing the runDisney site, Disney is now stating that the Donald and Mickey are new for 2014. The Mickey was a given and the Donald a present.

One further medal note, the 10k is a medal and not a medallion. The medallion is Disney's way of noting that the finisher prize is the rubberized plastic medal traditionally given out at the 5k. The 10k is a medal.

Love that the 10k will be a Minnie medal.

Does that lean towards the 5k being a Fab 5 ongoing, or Pluto, or do you think they change it up to keep it fresh.

With Dopey being the namesake if the new medal, it kind of throws the whole "keep it all Fab 5" out the door. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Love that the 10k will be a Minnie medal.

Does that lean towards the 5k being a Fab 5 ongoing, or Pluto, or do you think they change it up to keep it fresh.

With Dopey being the namesake if the new medal, it kind of throws the whole "keep it all Fab 5" out the door. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I think the January Family Fun Run will continue to tie in with a fall/winter marketing scheme.

OMG, just heard about this! I'm in.

We need a figment themed race at some point though. runDisney I know you're out there. You clearly stole the name from here.

I'm wondering how unrealistic it is for me to set my sights on this. Thus far, my biggest race was the Wine and Dine so it would be a major training adjustment! But darned if I don't realllllllllly want to do this!!!

ME!!!
I still think it's insane but I'm really really excited.
I would love to do this but I don't know if I can. I'm still fairly new to running, but dang this is so enticing.
DS16 thinks the cost is insane!! Which is funny coming from the spender in the family.

I'm not sure what I'll do.

Sent the official info to DH (who has done the 5K, 1/2 and Goofy) and his reply was, "I think I HAVE TO do it."

It is people like him who Disney loves, lol.

This will cause me need to change resort ressies asap.

I did the unofficial Dopey back in 2012 and the Coast to Coast that year too and I felt pretty proud about having done the biggest combination of races I could have done, short of taking on all races throughout the year which would be out of the question due to travel costs.

After hearing about the new official Dopey, my first though was "why did they have to go and take away my bragging rights". I bought the framed shadow boxes for the medals and everything. Now really, I'm not actually upset or that whiny about it. It's just that I felt like I had done all that Disney could throw at me and succeeded. Now if I want to reclaim that I need to go back and do it again.

Not that I'm complaining as I can always use another excuse to go back to WDW and use our DVC points. And I had considered doing Goofy again in 2015 for the 10th anniversary and as a 40th birthday milestone event. I guess I'll have to make the Dopey the new high point to put on the calendar.

I think this will be something to look forward to. However I just can't imagine how tedious that fourth early morning bus ride from the resort will be. Better bring a book and/or some good podcasts.

Dopey was the conversation of dinner for our group of friends last night. Initially there was excitement all around, but over night a lot of that faded as people realized it meant at least 1 more hotel night, more days off needed and more money needed for the race entry fee. All in all that makes it a pretty expensive race. I'm still excited about doing it, but it's not an easy decision.

Ohhh and also my wife thought that Sleepy would also have been an appropriate dwarf for this race given all the 3 am wake up calls.

OMG, just heard about this! I'm in.

We need a figment themed race at some point though. runDisney I know you're out there. You clearly stole the name from here.

Yeah, I don't care how many miles it would be, I would be on board for any Figment race.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter