Official 2014 Dopey Challenge Thread!

FYI, just read it was updated to $95. Still a lot, but more logical.

I just looked on active and they had these prices for the 10K listed.

Walt Disney World® 10K

•$95.00 on or before June 18, 2013
•$110.00 between June 19, 2013 – August 13, 2013
•$125.00 on or after August 14, 2013

I was already planning on doing Goofy in 2015 because I am not quite ready to take it on for 2014...this year has been working on improving my time and a bunch of 1/2's (plus DDD) but gosh darn it, now my mind is going straight to Dopey for 2015. Cause you know, training for 39.3 miles wasn't a crazy enough thought for me...what's an extra 6.2 miles, right? Haha!! Man, RunDisney sure knows how to make a girl commit to running more and more miles!! :rotfl:

To add fuel to the rumors, now the runDisney Twitter account is hinting towards something.

There's no official announcement at this time for 2014 #WDWMarathon Weekend, but please stay tuned.

Registration for Marathon Weekend opens April 9th, correct?

So they are going to announce a new race and medal structure two weeks beforehand? I'd like a little more planning time. (Not that I won't figure a way to cough up the dough....)

On the page somewhere it talks about reunion breakfast for 5k on Thursday and 10k Friday.I am still holding out hope that dopey is all 4 races

The only problem with Dopey being all four races is that the 5K is not a timed race. So they have no way 'currently' to track anyone's completion of the 5K. So to include the 5K in the Dopey, I think they would have to issue Dopey participants a Chipped Bib and track their completion (if not their actual start/finish times).

It's possible though....

I thought that $95 for the Disneyland 10K was too expensive (I still signed up for the DDD tho). Now they are going to charge $160 for that same race in WDW (almost triple the 5K race fee)? That is an insane mark-up to me (unless the tech shirt is silk and the medal has some precious medal/stone in it).

It was bad enough that the Half and the Full have the same price tag. But the 10K? That is really pushing it. (On a side note: I hope the Dopey Medal has a pickaxe with 'Dopey' written on the handle like in "Once Upon a Time"!)

My question is: How are they going to handle WDW 2015?"

For example, I intend to run the Goofy in 2015 (10th anniversary race!). Now that they have the Dopey Challenge, will I have to choose Goofy over Dopey in order to get the Anniversary Goofy medal? I mean the Dopey is just "Goofy Plus", right?

So, if I choose to sign up for the Dopey in 2015, will I be able to either 1) get both the Goofy and Dopey medals if I finish all three, or 2) get to choose 'which' Challenge medal I want?

OR, do I just sign up for the Goofy, and also the 10K, so I get the Goofy Medal and the 10K medal and can claim my 'unofficial' Dopey (like it has been done for years)?

I've got quite a few of the same questions as you! I also planned to complete Goofy in 2015 (hoping for a special 10 year medal!) but was unofficially planning to do the Dopey (hey- what's another 3 miles after 39?!)

If I do the Dopey, do I get a Goofy Medal as well? I suppose only runDisney can answer this question when they put out an official announcement on the new event!

I was already planning on doing Goofy in 2015 because I am not quite ready to take it on for 2014...this year has been working on improving my time and a bunch of 1/2's (plus DDD) but gosh darn it, now my mind is going straight to Dopey for 2015. Cause you know, training for 39.3 miles wasn't a crazy enough thought for me...what's an extra 6.2 miles, right? Haha!! Man, RunDisney sure knows how to make a girl commit to running more and more miles!! :rotfl:

They sure know how to sucker us in by promising more medals! :rotfl:

Or would Goofy remain as Half + Full and would Dopey be 10K + Half - to echo what is being done in Disneyland Dumbo (10K + 1/2)?

We here have unofficially defined Dopey as traditionally being 5K + Half + Full, but we don't know what's being kicked around in Disney's collective minds.

Or would Goofy remain as Half + Full and would Dopey be 10K + Half - to echo what is being done in Disneyland Dumbo (10K + 1/2)?

We here have unofficially defined Dopey as traditionally being 5K + Half + Full, but we don't know what's being kicked around in Disney's collective minds.

I think the current pricing is too high for 10k + half.

I GUESS the one reason I hope out that the dopey COULD be all 4 races... Goofy = 160 + 160 = 320 plus another 20 bucks = 340... If you add up the 5, 10, 1/2 and full it comes up to 475... kick on another 20 = 495...... soo that was my reasoning and hope :D

The big question would be as others.. if you do dopey.. assuming even if it's only the 10 1/2 and full... Do you get the 10, 1/2, full, goofy and dopey medal?? I still will be holding on that it's all of them :D...

I go away for a day and look what happens.

I would think that the Dopey would consist of the 10, 21 and 42 k races based on the initial pricing. I would expect the Dopey pricing to fall before registration to the $450 range.

I am not sure when I think the the 5k will occur, but I see advantages to both a thursday and a friday race. Thursday's main advantage is one additional day in the resort for families with a marathoner and a 5 k runner. Though, I honestly think that the 5k and 10k will share Friday. This lowers the race administration costs and keeps the same infrastructure build out schedule. It also keeps the same expo schedule (currently listed as Thursday through Saturday) and lowers the number of volunteers needed for that part of the race.

I think the logistics of Friday will be interesting. The 5k folks may be a little miffed, but looking at this I would think the 5k would shift to a 0530 start from a 0630 start. The 10k would follow at or around 0600. This timing would assure the 5k course clears out before the 10k runners enter Epcot (using my assumed map). The need for the first couple miles of the 5k to clear is that my assumed map has the 10k runners returning to the finish along the marathon finish. THis flow is opposite the 5 k through Epcot. A start at or shortly after 0600 is necessary for the 10k so that the 10k race clears from Epcot prior to park opening.

Here is my guess for a 10k that would use the existing finish line structure. This version also keeps the existing 5k start structure. An interesting note, this course mirrors much of the first marathon course as well. Note that I took the course over to Boardwalk, it may well stay on the Beach and Yacht side.... I think the Boardwalk side would be fun as it would include one more little hill.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/183663070/

So will I run the race... not sure.

1) I think I need something to assure me that the Perfectly Goofy would still continue for those choosing to run Goofy.
2) The cost is excessive. For $450 I can run 3 other marathons + 4-6 5k's.
3) I would also like to see Disney tighten up the finish line process. I understand that there are a few folks who game the system and do not currently run the goofy and still receive the Goofy medal.
4) This kills my race weekend procedure with my annual Cape May breakfast at 7:30ish, though I guess I could just slide breakfast back an hour or assure that my reservations are in BCV or BWV.

I think this a great marketing idea by Disney and think the limited number of slots will sell out quickly. I think the Goofy and half will sell out in much quicker times as a result of this effort.

One thing that I have not seen discussed.... who will be on the 10k medal?

So is it for real? I don't know but one thing for sure... It looks like I picked the wrong year to plan on running all WDW races.

Lets get to the real question....

How many medals will you get. Cuz this is all about the bling!!!! :rotfl2:

If the Dopey is 10K, Half, Full...

Will you get 5 medals?
One for the 10K
One for the Half
One for the Full
One for the Goofy
One for the Dopey

Or will it just be 4 medals with no Goofy medal?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter