Official 2013 Disney Princess Half Marathon Thread - Take 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ticket question:

I purchased the discounted park tickets, but depending on what time we end up getting there on Friday, we might want to go to a park. We'd need to add a day to our tickets, though. Can that be done?

Are you picking them up at Will Call or do you already have them?

I talked to someone at the sports tickets on Monday. She said I could add on a day, but ONLY at the sports ticket pick up locations- there will be a table at the Expo (said to ask a cast member for directions) and there is also a booth at the WWoS. DO NOT pick up at the parks will call--- they will mess up the tickets and it won't be able to happen

If you already had your tickets in hand, I have no idea if they can add on. My question was about my will call pick ups.

I emailed them and she said they were so backed up on responses that she just called me instead (was supposed to follow up with email- but nothing so far)

Hey, guys! I have a question about tapering. As you may know, this is my first half marathon, and I am pretty much clueless about everything!

I've been following the beginner half marathon training program from Cool Running, and this week and next week, it has a bunch of 5 and 8 mile runs...which seems pretty on par with what my training has been like all along.

This week, for example, it would have me doing two 5-mile runs, two 8-mile runs, and a 3-mile run, with two rest days. And then next week, I'd be doing two 5-mile runs and an 8-mile run before I leave for FL on Thursday.

I keep hearing talk of tapering, and I'm confused as to what I should be doing, since the training plan I'm looking at for this week and next doesn't look like I'll be resting AT ALL! If anything, the total number of miles is almost exactly the same, or slightly more, as what I covered in the previous 3 or 4 weeks!

My question is: should I be tackling all these runs? Shorten them? Take more rest days? :confused3

Any advice from the more experienced princesses would be greatly, greatly appreciated!

As a side note, I wanted to thank you all so much for helping me through this process! I tend to do more lurking than posting, but I am here every day being constantly inspired and learning so much from all of you! Thank you! :goodvibes

I am NOT an expert. I did take a look at the plans. The first thought I had was how do your legs feel. Are they tired or get tired a couple miles into a run? My legs are starting to feel a bit fatigued and at this point I will cut a run short if they are not feeling strong. If you have followed the plan, then you are ready and the last thing you want to do is go into the race with tired legs. That 8 miler on Thursday could hurt in the long if your legs don't have time to recover before Sunday.
My second thought is pace. I don't know what you are working for, but the faster the pace for me, means I will need more time for my legs to recover. I have been running a lot of 9mm. If I am at an 11mm pace then the 8 miles would be fine that late.
Third, travel. When traveling, we don't always eat what we are used to, our sleep may not be as good, etc. Now is the time to eat well and get good rest. Sorry for you people with the bad dreams..I haven't had that.
Only you know your body...just listen to it and remember if you have followed that plan, you should be ready.

JenNel85 If you continue to run, I would take out one run day and add a cross train day in. When I started 6 years ago, I ran 5-6 days a week without cross training and it caught up to me in overuse injuries. I now run 3 days a week and never two days in a row (doctor and PT advice) and cross train 2 times a week.

I talked to someone at the sports tickets on Monday. She said I could add on a day, but ONLY at the sports ticket pick up locations- there will be a table at the Expo (said to ask a cast member for directions) and there is also a booth at the WWoS. DO NOT pick up at the parks will call--- they will mess up the tickets and it won't be able to happen

If you already had your tickets in hand, I have no idea if they can add on. My question was about my will call pick ups.

I emailed them and she said they were so backed up on responses that she just called me instead (was supposed to follow up with email- but nothing so far)

:thumbsup2 I was going to pick them up when we get there. We're arriving Friday morning and hitting the Expo first, so I'll make sure get the tickets there. Thank you!

Did your plan have any cut-back weeks where your "long" run was much shorter than the weeks around it? If so, did it seem to help you feel rested and strong? If so, I'd taper back some before the race. If not, stick with what's been working!

Thanks for the advice! With the plan I've been following, the long run has just kept increasing -- except for this coming weekend. I went up to 12 miles on Sunday, and then this weekend the plan calls for an 8-miler (which sounds good to me!) I'll keep moving forward with the plan, but will allow myself some flexibility depending how I feel.

Thanks again!

Taper is somewhat personal. How do your joints feel? I taper for all races, at any distance, that a consider "A" races, races that I want to perform at my best. For beginners that feel beat-up, taper. For example if your plan calls for 7 miles today and something hurts at 5 miles don't do 7.

Thanks for the advice! This is definitely THE "A" race for me, so I'm just fearful of overdoing it or -- worse -- hurting myself in some way this close to the big day! I think I'll play it by ear, like you said...yesterday's plan called for 5 miles, but I really struggled (think I'm still tired from Sunday's 12-miler) and ended up cutting it a little bit short at 4 miles. I'll try to allow myself some leniency depending on how I feel. Thanks again!

I am NOT an expert. I did take a look at the plans. The first thought I had was how do your legs feel. Are they tired or get tired a couple miles into a run? My legs are starting to feel a bit fatigued and at this point I will cut a run short if they are not feeling strong. If you have followed the plan, then you are ready and the last thing you want to do is go into the race with tired legs. That 8 miler on Thursday could hurt in the long if your legs don't have time to recover before Sunday.
My second thought is pace. I don't know what you are working for, but the faster the pace for me, means I will need more time for my legs to recover. I have been running a lot of 9mm. If I am at an 11mm pace then the 8 miles would be fine that late.
Third, travel. When traveling, we don't always eat what we are used to, our sleep may not be as good, etc. Now is the time to eat well and get good rest. Sorry for you people with the bad dreams..I haven't had that.
Only you know your body...just listen to it and remember if you have followed that plan, you should be ready.

Thank you so much for the advice! I think that's exactly what I'll do...I'll play it by ear a bit depending on how I feel. Yesterday I went out with the intention of 5 miles, and I really, REALLY struggled and only made it 4 miles...I didn't really feel sore from Sunday's long run (12 miles), but I think my body was still feeling the effects from it! My joints are feeling good, and no major injuries or other physical issues (knock on wood), but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't feeling a bit tired!

That's a good point about speed. My target race pace is 9mm, but I've been trying to force myself to slow down on these last training runs.

I am DEFINITELY trying to take extra good care of myself this week and next. That's probably the most important thing for all of us to be doing right now! :)

Thanks again! This definitely helps.

"How long is that Princess 1/2 Marathon?":confused3

Yeah pretty much!

I've had a few people I know personally that didn't have a clue how long a marathon was when I first started running. But not knowing what marathon is? At all? That was a first.

I'm also wondering about tapering. I have 10 miles planned for this saturday, but my legs have been feeling a little off lately. I'm not sure if I should continue with the 10 miles or do some shorter runs. But then not making it up to 10 miles makes me really nervous :confused3

I'm also wondering about tapering. I have 10 miles planned for this saturday, but my legs have been feeling a little off lately. I'm not sure if I should continue with the 10 miles or do some shorter runs. But then not making it up to 10 miles makes me really nervous :confused3

No expert here. Not sure of your training pace, but you could always slow it down and get ten in if you are feeling good. If it makes you feel better to have ten and your legs aren't screaming at you, you could try.

Before my Princess 1/2 last year, my most ever had been 9 miles and it was a couple years prior. I actually did my 1/2 last year with under a 12 minute mile, but I was literally hobbling around for a couple days afterwards and of course had planned to be at WDW through the entire week for One More Disney Day. I don't think you need to do a 10 mile a week beforehand to know you can complete it. For me, my best runs (time/distance) are days when I have taken 2-4 days off (or done mild workouts during those days like elliptical.)

Found out today that one of my new friends didn't know what a marathon was! Never had that happen before.

Cant wait. One week from tomorrow I will be on a plane to Disney World.

Could she have just not known how many miles it was?

After last year's princess, I had a ton of CMs and regular park folks saying "Congrats on your marathon." I think most people don't understand it's a 1/2, and some people don't know the mileage of either lol. Of course I said "thanks" and just took credit for it rather than go into some long dissertation lol :cool1:

No expert here. Not sure of your training pace, but you could always slow it down and get ten in if you are feeling good. If it makes you feel better to have ten and your legs aren't screaming at you, you could try.

Thanks for your input! I think I'll continue with my planned workouts this week and head out for a slower 10 this weekend and if I'm feeling pain, I'll cut it short. The race is so close I keep getting all freaked out about my training, I need to chill out :)

Ticket question:

I purchased the discounted park tickets, but depending on what time we end up getting there on Friday, we might want to go to a park. We'd need to add a day to our tickets, though. Can that be done?

:thumbsup2 I was going to pick them up when we get there. We're arriving Friday morning and hitting the Expo first, so I'll make sure get the tickets there. Thank you!

Got the official email back from Linda:

Hi Patty,

As per our conversation, you will be able to do this upgrade at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Welcome Center at the Sports Complex, during the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. OR at the "Welcome Center/Will Call" location at the Expo, during Expo hours. These are the only two locations that will be able to assist you with the upgrade and the ticket should not be used in order to do the upgrade. Please let us know if you have any questions. Good Luck to the athlete(s)!

Thank you for your ticket order, have a Magical Day!

Linda

Disney Sports Ticketing

Email: disneysportstickets@disneysports.com

Speaking of germs, just had a patient cough right in my nose. That's bad enough in general, but of course tested positive for influenza. Nice! Took a tamiflu already. Probably have good immunity, but still...

Patty, is the above situation only if you are adding on? I just wanted to clarify for any new people - you can pick up your park tickets at any of the parks guest relations; you don't have to specify a park as all their computers are linked. I did this last year. However, they did mess *something* up - I got the tickets, attempted to go through the turnstile and it told me "ticket not valid" so I had to get back in the guest relations line again. VERY FRUSTRATING! I wish I had ordered them early and gotten them in the mail, but had extenuating circumstances that caused me to wait this year. Also, even though the rep I spoke with when I ordered tix over the phone last year told me that I could pick them up at my hotel, that is incorrect. "Sports" tickets can only be picked up at the parks (and I guess the expo?).

Speaking of germs, just had a patient cough right in my nose. That's bad enough in general, but of course tested positive for influenza. Nice! Took a tamiflu already. Probably have good immunity, but still...

OH NO! Here's hoping that you A) don't catch it at all or B) catch it immediately and get over it in a few days! :sick:

Could she have just not known how many miles it was?

After last year's princess, I had a ton of CMs and regular park folks saying "Congrats on your marathon." I think most people don't understand it's a 1/2, and some people don't know the mileage of either lol. Of course I said "thanks" and just took credit for it rather than go into some long dissertation lol :cool1:

No I asked if she knew what a marathon was. Didn't know the answer to that either.

Anyone going to try and catch the first bus to the expo? Just trying to think when I should get in line if I want to try to be there when they start loading the buses. Staying over at POFQ if that helps.

Also wanted your opinion on something. My flight home leaves at 7:00 pm from Orlando race day. Which I guess means I will be leaving around 4 on the DME? Think I have enough time to make one short trip to MK post race? I am actually booked into the hotel that night (so I don't have to deal with late check out) so I don't have to worry about my luggage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter