Office Etiquette: Coffee Mugs?

I am not a coffee drinker either, and if I was I would probably bring my own. However, I started a new job a few months ago. On my tour of the office, the person giving the tour said "and we have plenty of mugs..." so I assume that meant that they were available to use by everyone. However, I know that even at home, everyone has their favorites, so I'd be worried about accidentally taking someone's "favorite" mug (even if they're technically available for everyone.

We use to to have community mugs, dishes, utensils but everything got removed during Covid and the implementation of the “pack in pack out” policy. Now you bring your own. I always had my own insulated mug anyways .

When we had dishes and mugs in the kitchen at work, they were provided by the company. It wasn't much though. Just one Corelle set with the glass dishes and a few mugs.

We did have an espresso machine at work, and I actually got real Italian espresso cups and a few cappuccino cups. But they were mine (I wasn't reimbursed for them) but I left them for my coworkers as a courtesy. The only time I got huffy about it was that many used them and just tossed them in the sink. We didn't have a dishwasher and they were only hand washed. One day I just took them back and stored them at my desk. I brought them back out when there was an expectation that everyone would share in cleaning up if they were going to use them.

Well - I do remember working one place where they had this policy that open coffee mugs or beverage containers simply weren't allowed because they might spill. One was allowed an open mug at the desk, but you can imagine what that's like if one isn't allowed to transport it. They did have free coffee and beverages for employees (but theoretically not contractors) at the cafeteria, and one either got a disposable cup with a lid or they actually had specific plastic mugs with matching disposable lids. One could also take a tray from the cafeteria and leave it on a bussing cart in the kitchen to be picked up. But security would see someone with an open container and they would immediately warn anyone about the policy. I brought my water bottle with a cap with me.

There are no less than 3 different coffee makers/water heaters in the break room. I’ve managed to make none of them work for me. I use my instant coffee, water heated in the microwave using a mug from the cupboard that says “Bride”. I transfer that into my own paper mug with plastic top that fits into my cup holder. Must add sugar-free Vanilla non-dairy nonnuclear creamer. Mug goes back into cupboard and none’s the wiser. Spoon from drawer is used, then washed with soap, and dried, then put away. Other cutlery from drying rack are also put back in drawer just because.

If they are in a cabinet by the machine or in a kitchen they are community and free to use. If they belong to any individual person they should be at their desk.

If they are in a cabinet by the machine or in a kitchen they are community and free to use. If they belong to any individual person they should be at their desk.

It gets kind of tricky because I've seen dish racks at work and I've used them to dry out my own stuff.

I remember once I kept a cooler at my desk and brought Blue Ice reusable ice packs. But I tried using the freezer at work to refreeze and it was gone. I think the secretary claimed it as company property because it was similar to ours. I probably should have identified it.

I would assume they are for anybody... however it seems that where I am everybody brings their own or uses the disposable cups next to the coffeemaker. I have seen some in the cabinets, I think they are for anybody.

A lot of people (myself included) keep Keurigs at their desk because the "lounge coffee" is really gross. I do not use mine a lot because I usually just fill up one of those travel mugs in the morning before I leave.

Disclaimer: I don't drink coffee so this doesn't really affect me, but I've noticed at a few places I've worked there's different expectations regarding coffee mugs. I was just curious in case I ever decide to start drinking coffee, lol

So if you're new to a place, do you assume coffee mugs in the cabinet are free for anyone to use, or owned by certain people only, or do you not assume and ask someone first?
Why assume anything when you're new? Typically an orientation day will include being shown around and introduced; when the tour reaches the coffee station, why not just ask, if they haven't thought to tell you? :confused3

We have a large cabinet with all kinds off glasses, plates, cutlery and mugs for everyone to use. We have two dishwashers and they run at least once a day.
On average maybe 30-40 people at the office a day.
This is our set-up too. Our kitchen is well-equipped and everything in it is considered to be communal, whether it was actually company-supplied or just accumulated over the years. Protocol is that you load what you used that day into the dishwasher, the night cleaning crew runs the dishwasher and each department takes turns unloading in the morning. If you've got a "special" cup, either hand-wash it and keep it on your desk or get there early to grab it.

After my mother passed away I brought one of her cups in as a sentimental thing. Sure enough, within a week it was chipped by whomever unloaded the dishwasher. :sad1: That was disappointing so I've never since bothered with having a special cup.

Don’t assume. Ask first.

My office uses the same disposable cups used to sell coffee in our stores.

And by the way, pumpkin spice returned earlier this week. 🎃
Can't do paper cups with most beverages ESPECIALLY coffee. It ain't right!

In my office the mugs in the cabinet belong to individual people. There are no community mugs. 🤷‍♀️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter