Off topic but for all parents

Mickey527

DIS Veteran
This is way off topic but I had to share with my pin collecting friends.
Today was the day I took my son to college. Ok, so he is only 15 minutes from home and at the college where I work 5 times a week. He is my baby, and he moved out!.
We had a great day of activities, they had every moment planned for us...20 minutes to unpack your car at the door, then they will tow, 30 minutes to unpack and make the beds, then off to church (Jesuit University), 30 minutes for lunch, 25 minutes to buy books, 15 minutes to go to mailroom....etc......
Then 4 pm....Goodbye to family members. I was fine, no problem. But they played dirty. Just as we were walking out the door the RA handed us a little packet of tissues. Wrapped around the tissues was this note. Tell me if any of you parents need tissues, I have some extra.
I SEE CHILDREN AS KITES
You spend a lifetime trying to get them off the ground. You run with them until you're breathless. They crash, they hit rooftops. You patch and comfort, and adjust and they'll fly. finally they are airborne. they need more string and you keep letting it out. But with each twist of the ball of twine, there is a sadness that goes with joy. The kite becomes more distant and you know it won't be long before that beautiful treasure will begin to seperate from the lifeline that binds you together. And your child will soar as a kite soars...free and alone. and you know you have done your job.................Anonymous

Ok, everyone wipe those eyes now........Peggie

Peggie,

I have something very similar to that in a framed print that I got at a craft fair several years ago. The poem (not sure if it qualifies as a poem) is written in the shape of a kite. I thought it was very touching then, but even more apropos for you and I now as I also just left a son at college. You know inside that it is the right thing to do, but it's still very hard...

I'm not looking forward to my empty nest syndrome.

I cried when we took my oldest to college and helped him move in. And he was only 45 minutes away. That was in 1996. Since then he's moved home 2X and now lives on his own. He's become quite a young man and we are very proud of him.

Kids going to college is all part of the growing process.......for Parents. The kids are always just fine.

That poem hit the nail on the head.

Oh Peggie - i loved the wrapped note - and it is so very true too. I love having them home in the summer and honestly do not look forward to them returning to college. ...and every year the withdrawal gets a little easier, but i still look at empty bedrooms the first few days and sigh. Three of them are now college seniors and we know they will be off on their own soon. For those of you beginning the college experience, take heart, it does get easier. Caroline

Our son started his first year of college last week. He's commuting and still living at home, so we do get to see him occasionally!
But Linda and I are patiently looking forward to an empty nest. We have loads of things to do and time to catch up on. We're just afraid the grandparents will start moving in before the kids have left! :rolleyes:

Hey James,
that's my story. The kids are 14 & 7. and the mother in law is 87 and her brother is 90 and we all live in one house. :rolleyes:

Karin,

Your house sounds like Charlie's house in Willie Wonka. So how is Grandpa Joe and Grandma Josephine and did your kids find that golden ticket?

Jeff

Jeff,
Thank you for making me laugh! I don't know about golden tickets but I hope you will find me some golden pins ;)

Karin

Okay, my oldest is only 10 1/2 and that still made me cry!

Of course, I also cried the first day he got on the bus to Kindergarten....

I have gone thru it twice. and the second time is easier... but when they move back in it's even harder... (you got use to the room being clean and quite)

Then they move out.. AGAIN , But now I have a Grandson and I cry everytime he goes home...

It's a circle... The circle of Life.

Enjoy

The Circle of Life,

Both of my kids stayed at home when they went to school.

My son is out on his own now and bought his own house.

My Daughter graduates from Johns Hopkins in 2004 with her masters degree in computer.

No more tuition

No more supporting them

This means more trips to Disney World and more Cruises for me.

It is our turn now.

It was a long haul - loved every minute of it, but look forward to our time.

Darlene

My daughter Lauree...Crystal , her oldest, goes to college next year...and I will have this to give to her then..and the year after that goes Heather...they will both be far out of town, and it will leave her w/ only the (then) 12 yr old to count down..

Then she will make it to where Darlene is today..

great poem...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter