odd question..glasses, bdays, and parks

tngal

DIS Veteran
Hey everyone! I have a few questions I am hoping you can help me with!

1. I want to ride a lot of the rides on our future trip to WDW, but I'm afraid that my glasses will get slung off! Any of you ride the rides and wear glasses? Do you have any issues with them falling off or having to hold them on. I really don't want to have to get a strap for them if I don't have to..i hate the way those things look!!

2. We will be celebrating my oldest dd's bday on our trip. When we go to dinner on the night of her bday can I just mention to the staff that it is her bday or is that considered rude?

3. Also, another dinner question. We will not be getting park hopper option on our tickets, if we would like to make reservations at a restaurant in a resort that is in a different park than we have toured that day, are we out of luck?

thanks so much for your help...i have turned into a disboard addict!!

Lisa

1. I want to ride a lot of the rides on our future trip to WDW, but I'm afraid that my glasses will get slung off! Any of you ride the rides and wear glasses? Do you have any issues with them falling off or having to hold them on. I really don't want to have to get a strap for them if I don't have to..i hate the way those things look!!

2. We will be celebrating my oldest dd's bday on our trip. When we go to dinner on the night of her bday can I just mention to the staff that it is her bday or is that considered rude?

3. Also, another dinner question. We will not be getting park hopper option on our tickets, if we would like to make reservations at a restaurant in a resort that is in a different park than we have toured that day, are we out of luck?

Lisa

1. You might want to use a chum to hold them on. It's only nessecary for a few rides. But also handy for removing them for glasses.

2. You could mention. You could (should also get him a birthday pin at guest services in any park or a concierge or check in desk at a resort hotel.

3. Yes you would be out of luck. I would suggest getting a hopper if you would consider visiting different parks in the same day even a couple times. It offers some convinience for seeing shows and avoiding crowds.

skiingfast is correct. I just wanted to add that, while it's perfectly fine to mention your daughter's birthday (or get her a birthday button,) don't expect anything. She may get a complimentary dessert, but then again, she may only get a "happy birthday."

As far as the birthday, definitely get her a pin at guest services as soon as you enter the park that day. My daughter turned 10 while in disney a couple of weeks ago and the best part was all the cm's who wished her a happy birthday because of her pin. We had her birthday dinner at 1900 park fare and she got a souvenir placemat and a huge cupcake included. I had noted on the reservation that it was her birthday when I made it back in October. She felt very special. I would definitely call reservations to let them know it is a birthday celebration rather than waiting for the time they seat you.
Have fun!
:goodvibes

My daughter turned 10 while in disney a couple of weeks ago
2. I think it is tacky to tell people it is her birthday in order that they will wish her a happy birthday. The birthday button is an excellent idea.

3. You don't need hopping on your ticket to leave the park, have dinner at a resort or offsite, and then come back to the same park.

4. DD may continue to use child privileges and ticket as-is for that entire vacation even though CM's are wishing her a happy tenth birthday. (Her ticket will be upgraded to adult at no charge even at a later date for non-expiring tickets.)

5. I have often skipped aggressive rides or put eyeglasses in my pocket (and not seen the scenery well) unless I had a strap or some other aid to keep them in place.

Disney hints: http://www.cockam.com/disney.htm

They make some very pretty glasses necklaces now. I have seen some beaded ones at Walmart Eyeglass Center and also by the sunglasses. They have little rubber edges that hold your glasses arms. The necklace gently drapes around your neck, not tightly like Rec Specs or the neoprene ones the volleyball players wear. You could just use it when riding the rides that you might have a concern about. I like mine for sunglasses. I wear my contacts with sunglasses but when I walk into a store I just let my glasses hang around my neck. One less thing to lose too!

The only ride I remove my glasses for is RnRC in HS, I've worn them on everything else and been perfectly fine. I think I actually rode Rockin' Rollercoaster with them on once and it was okay, but made me WAY too nervous! :scared1:

I do usually carry a glasses case with my to Hollywood Studios so I can safely stow them.

Tower of Terror can also be a little sketchy with glasses on, but I hate to miss the pre-drop stuff!

:goodvibes

I would definitely get something to hold your glasses on. My mom made the mistake of putting hers in her jacket pocket while riding Thunder Mountain, sure enough, they slipped out on the ride. What a disaster. She was driving a scooter with no glasses for the rest of the afternoon. The following day she drove around Epcot using her sunglasses. That was interesting in the Nemo ride line!! Then we had to spend our "rest" day running around trying to get glasses made at a "one hour" place. The "one hour" place took 2 hours, and we got lost trying to find it so we spent about 4 hours getting glasses! Definitely, invest about $3 and get a strap for the glasses.

Lisa

1: I wear sunglasses I take them off and put them in my bag and hold it or just hold them in my hand my sister who does wear glasses does the same.

2: NO NOT AT ALL!!!!!!! Disney is ALL about the celebration when you make your dining reservations tell the person helping you out if they dont already ask that your celebrating a birthday that way it will be an attached message to all your reservations the waiter/waitress on all your breakfasts lunches and dinners your daughter will get a cupcake for every meal maybe a card and they usually sing happy birthday also some places she might get a crown I came home with three crowns from my sweet 16 haha. You can ask the person making your adr's about birthday suprises you can also google them and pick something fun. I highly suggest getting a cake their delicious and very beautiful totally worth the money. Also be sure to make her wear a birthday button EVERYONE even strangers and people in the parades will stop to say happy birthday sometimes they even give you special things in certain stores like candy or stickers it's fun :D

3. I highly suggest the park hopper so you can go to whatever park you want to whenever you want especially for adr's in that park. No ticket to the park means no entrance :/ also be sure to get to the parks at 8 in the morning head straight to the back of the park because if you notice lines form because everyone check out the first thing they see which is everything up front and THEN they head to the back. It's easier to just go to the back ride all the rides and then work your way forward as the crowds work their way back. pretty much NO LINES you'll finish a park by noon and then go back to your hotel relax nap for an hour or swim and then head back to the park you came from to revisit your favorite things or go to another park! ;) it's the best!!!!

We will be celebrating our DD's 5th b-day during our trip. :banana: Our travel agent marked b-day celebration for our ADR's for her actual b-day. I called the Disney reservation line the other day to make BBB reservations for her. He asked if we were celebrating anything during our visit. I told him about my DD b-day. He asked if I took advantage of the celebration window. Please explain............... He marked ALL of our ADR's for her b-day. He said that each place has their own special b-day thing they do (mostly a cupcake with a candle). He told us to take advantage of it and celebrate it all week!

I also heard (from friends) that Disney will give a $75 gift card for your b-day, but you must ask for it. I have not confirmed this. Our friends told us that they got it a few years ago. Maybe they don't do it anymore. Not sure. However, I am going to look into it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter