Odd change confuses cashiers

If you all think it’s aggravating when people don’t know how to give out correct change, imagine how aggravating it is trying to teach it. When I managed, and then owned, a custom picture frame store for 25 years, I had to teach teenagers how to give change and then how to read a tape measure - not easy :faint: :sad2:

Over 18 years later, but if the OP is still around.

Am I unreasonable and expecting too much "higher" thought from the typical cashier? If so, what can I do with all this change?!?

In general, yes, it’s unreasonable and expecting too much from cashiers. They are under pressure to finish transactions quickly and can get a negative review if their rate falls below a certain standard. Those delayed “wait, I have the 8 cents” requests take longer than you’d think.

Plus, like mentioned above, some customers intentionally try to confuse cashiers in order to scam them.

“What can I do with all this change?” Well, many places have a canister for donation to a charity. Or dump it in a jar at home then bring it to one of those change counting machines when it reaches a larger amount.

Even 100 years ago, mechanical cash registers were able to tell the cashier how much change to give, even if the customer gave oddball amounts. But it took a few extra steps and for most cashiers it was quicker to learn how to make change in their heads.

18+ years later, this problem wouldn’t have been posted here. After all, this is the DIS, where 99.9% of posters haven’t seen cash in at least a decade.

I wanted to get rid of some change at a convenience store so I stacked some quarters on a counter while the customer ahead of me was being served. This was less than $5.00 and i wasn't holding up the line. After I was served the guy behind me handed me a couple dollar bills "for next time." I was so surprised (embarrassed) that he thought i was too broke to use my debit card. He thought he was being kind and charitable to an old lady so I just thanked him and went on my way.

I prefer quarters but stores act like they are giving away something special. I wouldn't want them if every parking meter & laundry machine for college students needed them. Anyway, I nearly always give a combination change that would land me quarters and small bills for tips. When it happens that a cashier gets stumped I politely ask that they please just type in what I gave them and give me what it says.

I recall a rant a friend of mine went on a few years ago when her daughter was working on math homework involving counting up in increments. She was spitting fire over how stupid common core is and how much easier it was to do it the way we were taught. I pointed out that all the assignment was was teaching the kids how to make change but she wouldn't have any of it.

Oh, when I worked the register at my job 35ish years ago, I’d sometimes try to confuse the customers for kicks. :stir:

For example, if someone gave me a $10 bill for a $3.27 purchase, I might count the $6.73 change back in reverse, give them a $5 first, then the $1, then the coins.

“Five makes eight, one makes nine, the 73 cents makes ten.”

If I was in a particularly mischievous mood, I might mix up the coins and bills.

“One makes four, two quarters make four-fifty, five makes nine-fifty, 23 cents makes it ten.”

But I’d only do it with regulars who knew of my quirky ways.

This post is from 2003. Pretty sure she’s done with all her change by now. And as a former cashier, don’t do this. And don’t talk down to people either.
This is absolutely timely today with the coin shortage. Many small businesses here now have signs up requesting you pay in coins if you have them. The taco place fast food place we went to for dinner Friday night had a sign up,, and my wife was surprised that the cashier made a point of thanking me for paying with coins. He says it is a huge help to them. I certainly hope their employees know how to do the math. The mini-mart where I buy my lottery tickets has the same sign and when the clerk saw I had a bag of change, he asked if I would sell him some. I sold him $5 of coins.
And I was in Target yesterday and their self checks are now credit only, the sign saying they only accept cash at regular check outs so they can cope with the coin shortage.

Over 18 years later, but if the OP is still around.
Oh my gosh, I didn't even notice the date! - But I guess it is relevant again:
This is absolutely timely today with the coin shortage. Many small businesses here now have signs up requesting you pay in coins if you have them.

Am I unreasonable and expecting too much "higher" thought from the typical cashier? If so, what can I do with all this change?!?
My first reaction was just to be glad someone was thinking mathematically like this! But I agree, the cash registers tell them exactly what to give nowadays:
Most cashiers don't even have to THINK what change to give, they just need to punch in the amount handed to them and the register will tell them what to give back.

I recall a rant a friend of mine went on a few years ago when her daughter was working on math homework involving counting up in increments. She was spitting fire over how stupid common core is and how much easier it was to do it the way we were taught. I pointed out that all the assignment was was teaching the kids how to make change but she wouldn't have any of it.
When people rant online about common core, I explain to them that counting change back is exactly that, common core math.

This is absolutely timely today with the coin shortage. Many small businesses here now have signs up requesting you pay in coins if you have them. The taco place fast food place we went to for dinner Friday night had a sign up,, and my wife was surprised that the cashier made a point of thanking me for paying with coins. He says it is a huge help to them. I certainly hope their employees know how to do the math. The mini-mart where I buy my lottery tickets has the same sign and when the clerk saw I had a bag of change, he asked if I would sell him some. I sold him $5 of coins.
And I was in Target yesterday and their self checks are now credit only, the sign saying they only accept cash at regular check outs so they can cope with the coin shortage.
I said nothing about it being timely… just that it’s an insanely old thread… and our self check outs have been credit only pretty much since the pandemic started… and you’re talking about paying with change not the math involved to get change back.

Whenever I make a purchase, I try to use some of my plentiful change to lighten my purse. When I have exact change, the transaction usually goes smoothly. However, I've noticed definite problems if I try to give inexact change. For example, this morning I offered a $5 bill, 2 quarters, and 2 pennies ($5.52) to pay for a $3.47 purchase. The cashier tried to explain that I had offered the wrong amount. I politely asked if she would just give me change from the amount I had given her. So, I did get my $2 and nickel.

Other occasions, I've had the cashier hand back the change I offered and just make change from the bills, and other assorted odd transactions.

Peggy
Take it to the bank...or one of those change machines.

Yes, I personally do think you're kind of asking for issues with what you're doing. Those ppl. are there to take orders and work fast. I think it's one thing if you give them $5 or $5.50 for your thing that cost 3.47... but basically your asking them to do your transaction and make change for you/do your banking. I think that's a bit much.

This is coming from someone who is strong in and likes math, so I can't imagine the stress it must put on your average cashier worker.

Take it to the bank...or one of those change machines.

Yes, I personally do think you're kind of asking for issues with what you're doing. Those ppl. are there to take orders and work fast. I think it's one thing if you give them $5 or $5.50 for your thing that cost 3.47... but basically your asking them to do your transaction and make change for you/do your banking. I think that's a bit much.

This is coming from someone who is strong in and likes math, so I can't imagine the stress it must put on your average cashier worker.

I worked retail for a couple years. Give me whatever change you want as long as you do it BEFORE I enter the amount into the register. If I've already put it in and am counting your change back, please don't then try to give me any more money to get "better" change back. I'm good with math, but now I'm put on the spot to figure it out and distracted.

I said nothing about it being timely… just that it’s an insanely old thread… and our self check outs have been credit only pretty much since the pandemic started… and you’re talking about paying with change not the math involved to get change back.
Most Discussion boards want posters to reply to existing posts if the topic is the same. DIS is funny that way where you get called for for a so called Zombie thread. Wonder how the 25% of the people with no bank accounts and no credit cards are copying with credit only?

Be careful with not having exact change these days. More and more stores aren’t giving coins back. So if your purchase is 5.01 and you give a 10 you’ll get 4 back no change. I over heard a mom talking to her young daughter telling her there is no coin shortage (which is true) it is just a way for businesses to steal money from the Salvation Army (pointing to the bell ringer as they walked past.)

Most Discussion boards want posters to reply to existing posts if the topic is the same. DIS is funny that way where you get called for for a so called Zombie thread. Wonder how the 25% of the people with no bank accounts and no credit cards are copying with credit only?
Not posting several threads on the same topic at the same time I understand. Bumping a thread 10+ years old can spread outdated & misinformation. It makes more sense to post a new thread.

Not posting several threads on the same topic at the same time I understand. Bumping a thread 10+ years old can spread outdated & misinformation. It makes more sense to post a new thread.
I don't disagree, just not normal protocol. Some boards put a priority on bigger but fewer threads, others like the DIS seem to put a priority on the age of the original thread.

They patronize the businesses that accept cash. Plenty still do. Despite the predictions of many, cash will never become obsolete.

This is a generational issue. If you grew up pre computers, cards, and digital money platforms you understand the concept of counting money to the dollar. If you youre from the last two decades, forget it. Just like cursive, tying shoes, memorizing phone numbers, and reading rotary clocks- counting money (especially in cases over overages to get a certian denomination of coin or bill back) are dead. May younger and even some older folk see zero need for these skills because there is technolgy that prevents them from needing to invest in the skill.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter