Odd change confuses cashiers

Honest question, when do you need or want cash?

Primary reason I can think of (at least in the US) is the millions of "unbanked" households who either don't have enough money to open an account or are homeless.

I don't personally use cash very often, but I will use it for small purchases from time to time, like at a convenience store.

Primary reason I can think of (at least in the US) is the millions of "unbanked" households who either don't have enough money to open an account or are homeless.

I don't personally use cash very often, but I will use it for small purchases from time to time, like at a convenience store.
Maybe this is an American thing, but why wouldn't you pay small purchases at a convenience store by card?

Where I live there are basically no stores anymore who only accept cash. I can't even think of one, that is. At open air markets, and people collecting money door to door for charity are now equipped with portable electronic payment devices. When you order take out and you select pay cash, you have to select the amount you will use and a message pops up that their delivery boy only carries enough money to give change for the selected amount. That's also just a safety thing, they do not want their delivery boys to be targeted for robberies.

I don’t understand why cash users are willing to subsidize people who use credit cards

And this affects your life how??

The only thing that would be applicable in my life is when I would give money to a beggar or a street musician. And those are rare where I live.

Honest question: why do so many DISers seem personally offended by cash and those who use it?? It’s no skin off your noses how they choose to pay. If they want to use cash, why does it bother the collective you?

As @soccerdad72 said, millions of Americans don’t have access to credit/debit/electronic forms of payment. And some just prefer to use cash, for reasons of their own, which includes shady reasons.

Giving to a beggar or street musician seems like a valid reason to carry cash.

Honest question: why do so many DISers seem personally offended by cash and those who use it?? It’s no skin off your noses how they choose to pay. If they want to use cash, why does it bother the collective you?

I guess:
Because this is a discussion board?

And it is interesting to discuss different ways of thinking, habits or cultures. That is why I sometimes add 'honest question' or something similar to my questions, because people are easily offended, think I am joking, but I am just trying to figure out how things work for other brains or cultures.

I think we can all agree that the people on this board who frequently go to an expensive amusement park are not the ones without a bank. They have the option to chose between cash and electronic. So if there is a reason why someone would chose cash can be interesting.

And after my last question I remembered, the US is more of a credit card than a debit card country (I think), is it that people avoid cards, especially for low amounts, because there is a cost involved for the use of the card, or interest later?

*edited to add*, I was watching youtube, besides preying banks, what is the opinion on Youtubers promoting financial products? In the last week I saw The Try Guys and the Nostalgia Critic promoting bank cards and other financial products. Not exactly experts on the topic.
To add the cultural aspects, I know that in Europe, especially Belgium and Norway rules are strict and you basically need a license to promote something financial.

Last edited:
When kings island here announced they were going cashless, some people about lost their minds. To me, it sounds easier to not have to deal with cash in a place like that. However, I do know a number of places that are still cash only around this area.

I mostly use my debit card for things, but do try to keep a little cash on me. I try to always tip servers in cash and like some others have said, if I am buying something less than $2, I will try and pay cash. I don't do weird things with the change though when I use my cash. If I have exact change, I will use it, but won't try to get even quarters back or that kind of thing.

And after my last question I remembered, the US is more of a credit card than a debit card country (I think), is it that people avoid cards, especially for low amounts, because there is a cost involved for the use of the card, or interest later?

There is no cost if you pay off your whole balance every month. Some credit cards do have annual fees, but those are usually the higher end ones with more benefits. There is a cost to the business, I believe, but that is not usually passed on directly to the customer. Some small business may add a surcharge for using a card to make up for it.

I feel guilty about taking advantage of people by cashing in all of my credit card rewards while everyone else is paying full price.
Until businesses start giving cash "discounts" to make up for the fees they have the pay to accept CCs.

I think we can all agree that the people on this board who frequently go to an expensive amusement park are not the ones without a bank. They have the option to chose between cash and electronic. So if there is a reason why someone would chose cash can be interesting.

That's exactly why I dislike using cards for low amounts - the business has to pay a processing fee if I use my credit or debit card. I don't mind if it's a large purchase, as the fee then works out to a very low percentage. But on a small purchase it eats into their profits, and I feel guilty.

I do ask more often nowadays, though, whether they prefer cash or card. Some businesses worry more about germs on money than fees for cards, so I will use a card even for small purchases if that's what they prefer.

There are still a few small cash only places around here, and I've also seen plenty of times when CC machines have been down, and been glad I had cash on me.

The only thing that would be applicable in my life is when I would give money to a beggar or a street musician. And those are rare where I live.
It was nice to get home after driving for 1000 out of 1100 miles from Disney when my card was flagged at 10 pm trying to get gas after being used in 7 different states. Cash really helped rather than being stranded with only 3 gallons of fuel left to get home.

I don’t understand why cash users are willing to subsidize people who use credit cards
I'm not. And neither are some merchants here. They have started charging extra for credit card/debit card purchases.

Maybe this is an American thing, but why wouldn't you pay small purchases at a convenience store by card?

Where I live there are basically no stores anymore who only accept cash. I can't even think of one, that is. At open air markets, and people collecting money door to door for charity are now equipped with portable electronic payment devices. When you order take out and you select pay cash, you have to select the amount you will use and a message pops up that their delivery boy only carries enough money to give change for the selected amount. That's also just a safety thing, they do not want their delivery boys to be targeted for robberies.
I guess it could be an American thing. The convenience store closest to me has a $10 minimum purchase on any kind of card, so there that would be the reason.

I mostly use my debit card for things, but do try to keep a little cash on me. I try to always tip servers in cash and like some others have said, if I am buying something less than $2, I will try and pay cash. I don't do weird things with the change though when I use my cash. If I have exact change, I will use it, but won't try to get even quarters back or that kind of thing.
This is the way

I took a quick trip to DC today by train and The Hudson News store in Union Station had a sign at the registers saying they would NOT be giving coin change on cash purchases. Pay with exact cash or credit/debit.

I suppose if your total was $7.12 and you paid with a $10 bill you’d only get $2 back in cash.

I took a quick trip to DC today by train and The Hudson News store in Union Station had a sign at the registers saying they would NOT be giving coin change on cash purchases. Pay with exact cash or credit/debit.

I suppose if your total was $7.12 and you paid with a $10 bill you’d only get $2 back in cash.
I carry a change purse now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter