• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

October 27, 2017... Wonder EBPC!

On the map, Ventura is about 190 miles north of San Diego.

For folks that are coming from places that don't have *crazy* traffic, as a Southern Californian, I would like to offer a little perspective on this drive. I live in Long Beach, which is 101 miles from the port of San Diego. While Google tells me if I leave right now it will take me an hour and a half, from experience, I always allow 3 hours when driving to San Diego from my location.

Going the other direction, Google tells me that it is 88 miles to Ventura Harbor, and right now it will take me 1 hr 21 minutes to get there. During normal driving hours I would expect the trip to take at least two hours, and easily 3 hours during peak traffic.

Sunday mornings before 11AM is the least congested time to drive in Southern California, (when I'm writing this). Routes which pass through Los Angeles County can travel at speeds of 15 mph for miles and miles. That's not to say that you won't be driving at 65 mph on many of the freeways, however, when driving any distance in Southern California, I would suggest you allow plenty of extra time to arrive at your destination. It's better to get somewhere early and be pleasantly surprised than hours late because there was an "incident" along the way.

Last edited:
For folks that are coming from places that don't have *crazy* traffic, as a Southern Californian, I would like to offer a little perspective on this drive. I live in Long Beach, which is 101 miles from the port of San Diego. While Google tells me if I leave right now it will take me an hour and a half, from experience, I always allow 3 hours when driving to San Diego from my location.

Going the other direction, Google tells me that it is 88 miles to Veterans Harbor, and right now it will take me 1 hr 21 minutes to get there. During normal driving hours I would expect the trip to take at least two hours, and easily 3 hours during peak traffic.

Sunday mornings before 11AM is the least congested time to drive in Southern California, (when I'm writing this). Routes which pass through Los Angeles County can travel at speeds of 15 mph for miles and miles. That's not to say that you won't be driving at 65 mph on many of the freeways, however, when driving any distance in Southern California, I would suggest you allow plenty of extra time to arrive at your destination. It's better to get somewhere early and be pleasantly surprised than hours late because there was an "incident" along the way.
Thank you for the reality check!!!

Bobbi

Ok time to get flights and accommodation booked for pre-cruise. In case anyone doesn't know, the Disney Air program seems to have changed since we last used it, and it now appears to be very reasonable. We are booked on flights and have seat assignments at a very similar cost to booking direct with the best flights we could find. Better still Disney are holding them and we don't have to 100% commit or pay until final cruise payment.

As for Hotels, it seems like the Manchester (Disney's recommendation) is full, so we are staying in another hotel between the airport and the terminal. It doesn't seem to be too far, and I assume getting around on a Friday lunch time to board shouldn't be a problem.

My one open issue is getting from the Port at Galveston back to Houston. The Disney transfer is around $50 and I assume this is a coach. Does anyone know how the luggage transfers are done in Galveston. Would we have to get our luggage after customers and take it to the coach, or will they be transferred "easily"

Is anyone considering a rental car? or other transfer? There doesn't seem to be a rental car office at the terminal in Galveston, so that's not a good option for us. How well to third party shuttles connect with the departures?

If we sign up for 10 can we increase later?

How soon would we know how many and ages in our group?

And what are the requirements if any

You can join another group of 10 if you'd like later on. I'll PM the participants with the current list soon and send updates periodically.

No requirements, just have fun exchanging with everyone else. However, if someone signs up in hopes to just get "free" stuff and not give any gifts, please don't sign up.

Ok time to get flights and accommodation booked for pre-cruise. In case anyone doesn't know, the Disney Air program seems to have changed since we last used it, and it now appears to be very reasonable. We are booked on flights and have seat assignments at a very similar cost to booking direct with the best flights we could find. Better still Disney are holding them and we don't have to 100% commit or pay until final cruise payment.

As for Hotels, it seems like the Manchester (Disney's recommendation) is full, so we are staying in another hotel between the airport and the terminal. It doesn't seem to be too far, and I assume getting around on a Friday lunch time to board shouldn't be a problem.

My one open issue is getting from the Port at Galveston back to Houston. The Disney transfer is around $50 and I assume this is a coach. Does anyone know how the luggage transfers are done in Galveston. Would we have to get our luggage after customers and take it to the coach, or will they be transferred "easily"

Is anyone considering a rental car? or other transfer? There doesn't seem to be a rental car office at the terminal in Galveston, so that's not a good option for us. How well to third party shuttles connect with the departures?

This is something that I would be interested in. Both the flights booked through DCL and transportation from Galveston back to Los Angeles. We are also trying to decide if we are going to stay in San Diego the night before or go down the day of.

Did you call to book the flights?

This is something that I would be interested in. Both the flights booked through DCL and transportation from Galveston back to Los Angeles. We are also trying to decide if we are going to stay in San Diego the night before or go down the day of.

Did you call to book the flights?
Yes, You need to call (877) 566-0967. They basically acted like a travel agent, and looked for the lowest cost flights (only on a selection of airlines though) Once they find something you are happy with, they put a hold on it for you and add it to the booking. Pretty cool.

IMG_4342.PNG

Here is a game to play if anyone wants to join in. I will post letters in ABC order from one of the 4 WDW parks or Disney Springs. I will post them randomly until our time to sail.
The winner will receive a small gift from me on the ship.
You can earn up to 5 points for being the first person to correctly guess where the letter is found.

But each time I have to give more of the pic the points go down once I hit 5 pictures for the letter the guessing stops

You will earn 1 point if you can share a picture that you took with same letter in it.

I will start a new post for each letter. And will not start a new letter until the one we are working on is completed. After a new letter is started if you post a picture of the letter your u need to pm me.

Last edited:

Well, should we ask for a clue? Do we have to guess wrong to get a clue? Should the guesses be only through a conversation, or public?

View attachment 214680

Here is a game to play if anyone wants to join in. I will post letters in ABC order from one of the 4 WDW parks or Disney Springs. I will post them randomly until our time to sail.
The winner will receive a small gift from me on the ship.
You can earn up to 5 points for being the first person to correctly guess where the letter is found.

But each time I have to give more of the pic the points go down once I hit 5 pictures for the letter the guessing stops

You will earn 1 point if you can share a picture that you took with same letter in it.

I will start a new post for each letter. And will not start a new letter until the one we are working on is completed. After a new letter is started if you post a picture of the letter you need to pm me.

i will post A#2 picture tonight
I will post it as a reply to the first picture.

i will post A#2 picture tonight
I will post it as a reply to the first picture.
Oh well I thought they would stay in same area. Lol. Use to dealing with face book. But that's ok. I've got this. Lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter