NYC: New York Dreams (formerly DVC only) Meets Thread

Thanks! I will try to squeeze that in as well. Yes, Ellen's Star Dust diner is still part of the trip and I am looking forward to the experience.

It is mediocre food - diner quality - but the atmosphere is a lot of fun! We've been there twice. Not a spot we frequent but a cute place for tourists! Top of the Rock is very nice. We also enjoy the Grill - especially when it s warm enough to eat or have a cocktail outside we also really live the Bryant Park Grill!

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

FYI for New York visitors - we saw Aladdin on Broadway in previews this week and it was excellent! If you have the chance to catch it on pre or post days of your adventure, do it! Adam Jacobs has a beautiful voice & a smile that lights up the entire theatre! We also saw Idina Menzel in If/Then. We enjoyed it, but it is not your typical Broadway musical. She was amazing!

Most college students go to the beach on spring break, theatre majors (dd20) go to Broadway! ;-)

FYI for New York visitors - we saw Aladdin on Broadway in previews this week and it was excellent! If you have the chance to catch it on pre or post days of your adventure, do it! Adam Jacobs has a beautiful voice & a smile that lights up the entire theatre! We also saw Idina Menzel in If/Then. We enjoyed it, but it is not your typical Broadway musical. She was amazing!

Most college students go to the beach on spring break, theatre majors (dd20) go to Broadway! ;-)

I am glad to hear it was excellent. Aladdin is part of the itinerary on day 3 of the ABD New York City trip. I'd take the theatre over the beach any day :thumbsup2

I need some planning help, and hope those familiar with NYC can help. We arrive for our ABD 2 nights early and when I made the reservation they would not let me add 2 nights at the Manhattan Club. I can book it on my own but then I guess would have to go through a check out/check in process before the adventure, which I guess starts pretty early in the morning. Another wrinkle is the day prior I plan on visiting Ellis Island and seeing Newsies. It looks like the theater Newsies is at is pretty far from the Manhattan Club, so I was thinking of getting a hotel close to that for the two nights and then moving to the Manhattan Club early the morning of the adventure.
What do you all think? Is the Manhattan Club walkable from Staybridge Suites Times Square (340 W 40th..the Manhattan Club is 200 W 56th) and if not how hard is it to get a taxi? Or would it be easier to just stay at the Manhattan Club and take a taxi if needed before /after the show, and again, how hard is that to do?
Also, will not be comfortable taking the subway, so what's the best way to get to the boat for Ellis Island? Is there a tour company or something who includes Ellis Island in their tour?
Any advice appreciated.

I need some planning help, and hope those familiar with NYC can help. We arrive for our ABD 2 nights early and when I made the reservation they would not let me add 2 nights at the Manhattan Club. I can book it on my own but then I guess would have to go through a check out/check in process before the adventure, which I guess starts pretty early in the morning. Another wrinkle is the day prior I plan on visiting Ellis Island and seeing Newsies. It looks like the theater Newsies is at is pretty far from the Manhattan Club, so I was thinking of getting a hotel close to that for the two nights and then moving to the Manhattan Club early the morning of the adventure.
What do you all think? Is the Manhattan Club walkable from Staybridge Suites Times Square (340 W 40th..the Manhattan Club is 200 W 56th) and if not how hard is it to get a taxi? Or would it be easier to just stay at the Manhattan Club and take a taxi if needed before /after the show, and again, how hard is that to do?
Also, will not be comfortable taking the subway, so what's the best way to get to the boat for Ellis Island? Is there a tour company or something who includes Ellis Island in their tour?
Any advice appreciated.
I know SingingMom is really familiar with NYC, so if she doesn't reply here, you might want to PM her.

Sayhello

I need some planning help, and hope those familiar with NYC can help. We arrive for our ABD 2 nights early and when I made the reservation they would not let me add 2 nights at the Manhattan Club. I can book it on my own but then I guess would have to go through a check out/check in process before the adventure, which I guess starts pretty early in the morning. Another wrinkle is the day prior I plan on visiting Ellis Island and seeing Newsies. It looks like the theater Newsies is at is pretty far from the Manhattan Club, so I was thinking of getting a hotel close to that for the two nights and then moving to the Manhattan Club early the morning of the adventure. What do you all think? Is the Manhattan Club walkable from Staybridge Suites Times Square (340 W 40th..the Manhattan Club is 200 W 56th) and if not how hard is it to get a taxi? Or would it be easier to just stay at the Manhattan Club and take a taxi if needed before /after the show, and again, how hard is that to do? Also, will not be comfortable taking the subway, so what's the best way to get to the boat for Ellis Island? Is there a tour company or something who includes Ellis Island in their tour? Any advice appreciated.

Hello from the Tri-State area! How much walking are you comfortable with? I believe the Manhattan Club is located at 56th Street and 7th Avenue. The Nederlander Theatre is located at 41st Street & Broadway. Have you been to NYC before? Get yourself a concise map of midtown Manhattan. Your "streets" go North and south and are short blocks. Your "avenues" go East & West and are longer walks. The walk from the Manhattan Club to see Newsies isn't bad at all. You can walk down 7th Avenue for from 56th to 41st and enjoy the sites. ;-). Or, a cab would most likely be easy to hail in front of the hotel. It is not as easy to catch one on the way back - we tend to keep walking in the correct direction and realize the cab isn't worth it. :-)

We live in NJ, just 35 minutes away, but still prefer to stay overnight when we head to the theatre ( which we do several times a year). Our go to hotel us the Marriott Marquis in the middle of Times Square. Between 45 & 46 the Street.

I would arrange for Ellis Island touring through your hotels concierge. I believe you need reservations ahead of time since Liberty Island's re opening after 9/11.

Have a wonderful trip! Sometimes we east coast people take for granted the wonders of "The City That Never Sleeps"! Any restaurant or theatre questions, I'd be happy to help!

Hello from the Tri-State area! How much walking are you comfortable with? I believe the Manhattan Club is located at 56th Street and 7th Avenue. The Nederlander Theatre is located at 41st Street & Broadway. Have you been to NYC before? Get yourself a concise map of midtown Manhattan. Your "streets" go North and south and are short blocks. Your "avenues" go East & West and are longer walks. The walk from the Manhattan Club to see Newsies isn't bad at all. You can walk down 7th Avenue for from 56th to 41st and enjoy the sites. ;-). Or, a cab would most likely be easy to hail in front of the hotel. It is not as easy to catch one on the way back - we tend to keep walking in the correct direction and realize the cab isn't worth it. :-)

We live in NJ, just 35 minutes away, but still prefer to stay overnight when we head to the theatre ( which we do several times a year). Our go to hotel us the Marriott Marquis in the middle of Times Square. Between 45 & 46 the Street.

I would arrange for Ellis Island touring through your hotels concierge. I believe you need reservations ahead of time since Liberty Island's re opening after 9/11.

Have a wonderful trip! Sometimes we east coast people take for granted the wonders of "The City That Never Sleeps"! Any restaurant or theatre questions, I'd be happy to help!

Thank you! Very helpful.. I do have a book with a decent map, so will be studying that. I guess I'm concerned at how big the blocks are :) I used to live in Vegas and a 'block' on the strip was h u g e. Would it be a scary walk back or is that whole area well lit and with lots of people after an evening show lets out? I have never been to NY before and I'm sorry, it seems foreign to me! very nervous about what to expect.

It is well lot and there will be lots of people walking around :-). Otherwise walk to the closest avenue and try to get a cab. Enjoy!

Thank you! Very helpful.. I do have a book with a decent map, so will be studying that. I guess I'm concerned at how big the blocks are :) I used to live in Vegas and a 'block' on the strip was h u g e. Would it be a scary walk back or is that whole area well lit and with lots of people after an evening show lets out? I have never been to NY before and I'm sorry, it seems foreign to me! very nervous about what to expect.
Blocks are short when you are walking up/down town on the avenue, walking past the "streets". And honestly, they don't call it "the city that never sleeps" for nothing. Lol :-).

There will be lots of people doing the same thing you are - leaving after a Broadway show. That's why I said a cab might be difficult to hail. But you can always try. You try as you are walking uptown 8th Avenue or 6th (avenue of the Americas). 7th Avenue, the one that would be best for you to walk back to the Manhattan Club, has vehicle traffic going downtown (south) , the opposite way of your hotel. Just recently my dd20 & I took the bus in to see Laura Benanti in "The Most Happy fella" at the City Center which is up on 56th. We got out at 10pm and the area was filled with lots of walking traffic. Good luck and have fun! "SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

We are doing this trip July 10th. We also want to go to Ellis Island. Can you tell me the best way to get there from the Manhattan Club? Do I need to arrange for some type of tour to get me to the Statue and maybe cruise by it for pictures? Do you have any recommendations on a good company? TIA

We are doing this trip July 10th. We also want to go to Ellis Island. Can you tell me the best way to get there from the Manhattan Club? Do I need to arrange for some type of tour to get me to the Statue and maybe cruise by it for pictures? Do you have any recommendations on a good company? TIA

Start at www.statuecruises.com. I would check with the concierge at your hotel for their best recommendation. I'm sure they book this tour a lot! :-).
It's on most visitors' bucket list! (Of course, DH has lived in the east coast for 28 years, and I've yet to bring him to the Statue of Liberty. Lol. )

hi, i just started researching this ABD for 2016. Sounds like the same itinerary that @calypso726 did last year & it really interests our family of 3 adults. This would be our 2nd trip to NYC & we're wondering if it's better to add extra days to the beginning or end of our ABD? we'll be flying from Hawaii, so I know definitely one day early, but should we add days more on the beginning or end? Our "must do over" places include Katz Deli, Doughnut Plant & Grand Central Oyster Bar (i think that's it's name. it was a seafood place in Grand Central Station). I hope all the PPs with wonderful advice still follow this thread!

hi, i just started researching this ABD for 2016. Sounds like the same itinerary that @calypso726 did last year & it really interests our family of 3 adults. This would be our 2nd trip to NYC & we're wondering if it's better to add extra days to the beginning or end of our ABD? we'll be flying from Hawaii, so I know definitely one day early, but should we add days more on the beginning or end? Our "must do over" places include Katz Deli, Doughnut Plant & Grand Central Oyster Bar (i think that's it's name. it was a seafood place in Grand Central Station). I hope all the PPs with wonderful advice still follow this thread!

I would recommend adding the extra days to the beginning of the trip. We added on to the beginning and the end. We were able to do everything we had planned for the days before the ABD. However, we were so exhausted after the ABD, we did nothing but sleep in on our post day. I hope this helps.

I would recommend adding the extra days to the beginning of the trip. We added on to the beginning and the end. We were able to do everything we had planned for the days before the ABD. However, we were so exhausted after the ABD, we did nothing but sleep in on our post day. I hope this helps.

thanks so much @calypso726 !!

We took the plunge & paid for the NYC ABD for Oct 2016. Very excited. Due to constraints with my travel companions, we were only able to add on extra days to the end of our trip. Hopefully we'll enjoy it & get to eat lots of good food!

We took the plunge & paid for the NYC ABD for Oct 2016. Very excited. Due to constraints with my travel companions, we were only able to add on extra days to the end of our trip. Hopefully we'll enjoy it & get to eat lots of good food!
Congrats! Just do note, the ABD starts with Breakfast on Day 1, so you really do need to arrive the day before it starts unless you live in the area.

Sayhello

we fly in the evening before ABD starts so I'm not really counting it as a "preday". I wish we could've had more time but one of our group has to work a full day before our red-eye flight out of HNL. :(

we fly in the evening before ABD starts so I'm not really counting it as a "preday". I wish we could've had more time but one of our group has to work a full day before our red-eye flight out of HNL. :(
Whoo! A red-eye from Honolulu? That's quite the flight! But hey, at least you have a fabulous trip at the end of it!

Sayhello

Hi Orca! I will be there on the May 12th trip. I will try to post and let you know how it goes! We are on the Adult trip and we will arrive the day before it starts. Have you googled "The Ride" in NYC? Wow! I had never seen anything like that before! It looks like a blast.
I have never been to NYC and am so excited!
Hope you have a great time,
Lynda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter