NYC hidden gems?

Not your typical tourist attraction, but you might want to check out Green Wood Cemetery in Brooklyn. It is very park-like and was so popular in the 1800s, it was the inspiration for creating a Central Park. Some things of interest
  • The cemetery is a national landmark
  • They offer guided walking and trolley tours of the cemetery
  • You can do self guided walking tours. There are official tours or you can get independent ones from the internet.
  • Part of the battle of Long Island in the Revolutionary War was fought there . Battle Hill, in the cemetery, is the highest natural point in Brooklyn
  • There are a number of Famous and Infamous “residents”.
I have never done any of the tours but have just walked around and it is an enjoyable way to spend a morning, especially in the cooler weather.

There are so many interesting food shops that come and go in this location that I can’t keep up. What kind of food does 1984 sell? Prepared dishes or grocery ingredients?
ooppps.....in 1984 the food was great...on my way back up the Hudson I would purchase the turkey sweiss cheese crossiant sandwhiches....they were fantastic!!!!!, though I think it was a more flavorfull cheese. It was about that time in US history that crossiants were outpacing bagel sandwhiches at office parties, potlucks, tailgates....many misses in the crossiant sandwhiches...but that grand central offering still lingers on my taste buds....which reminds me....Howard Johnson Heavenly Hash ice cream....the best ice cream I have ever had....I am 65 years old and have tried the best and even the gourment ice crean chians....nothing compares to that Heavely Hash.....so if you find it offered, ruin your life and take a bite.

ooppps.....in 1984 the food was great...on my way back up the Hudson I would purchase the turkey sweiss cheese crossiant sandwhiches....they were fantastic!!!!!, though I think it was a more flavorfull cheese. It was about that time in US history that crossiants were outpacing bagel sandwhiches at office parties, potlucks, tailgates....many misses in the crossiant sandwhiches...but that grand central offering still lingers on my taste buds....which reminds me....Howard Johnson Heavenly Hash ice cream....the best ice cream I have ever had....I am 65 years old and have tried the best and even the gourment ice crean chians....nothing compares to that Heavely Hash.....so if you find it offered, ruin your life and take a bite.
Hear I was thinking the name of the food shop was 1984….hehehehe. True though that the first incarnation at that locale had memory stirring food…there was the guy who sold an amazing beef bourguignon by the lb, and the German butcher with every sausage you could think of.
I worked in Brooklyn back then (we called it the backwards commute) and the man in Midtown. It was his job to pick up goodies from Grand Central while I got to jump off the train and pickup something from Junior’s; we had our rides home down to a science, LOL. I don’t recall the ham and Swiss croissant but it sure sounds extra special.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter