NY Trip in December Help...2 questions...

PrinceCharmingsMom

DIS Veteran
I am planning a long weekend trip in Dec to NY. I have been once before but it was ages ago...wondering best place to stay with me and a friend with my son?

Last time we were there we went to the top of the World Trade Center so this time we are going to visit ground zero, do rockefeller center, and see the Rockettes, Statue of Liberty, and do at one broadway show at least...what else should we put on our must do list ?....

Thanks

I am also planning a trip thi first weekend of Dec for my birthday I have never been and would love any tips and advice anyone is willing to share I have always wanted to go at Christmas time to see decorations and shopping

In Dec you should see the Macy's windows and tree and skating rink at Rockefeller center. A lot of the other stores decorate, too. I love walking down 5th Ave at Xmas time!

Natural history museum is fun.

What kind of stuff is your son into? How old?

Congratulations on your Christmas trips! I don't live too far from NYC and was just there in September. We only stayed 4 days, me and my DH. Our main purpose was to see a Mets game ( go Mets! ). We stayed at the Hudson Hotel ( W58th and 8th ), the hotel is very modern and gearded for adults. It is kiddie corner to Central park, a short walk to Times Square ( a must see ). We enjoyed Little Italy ( eat at Pillazzio's - yum ) and walking trough China town. At Christmas the Rockefeller Christmas tree is a MUST see. I'm sure you both will have a great time!

I have a friend who just went and she stayed at the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel in Weehawken NJ. She had beautiful pictures from her room of the NY skyline. It's cheaper than staying in NY city and it's just a ferry ride away. NY at Christmas time is one of my dream trips...have fun :)

ETA- I've seen City Passes at Costco. For one price you can get into a bunch of different places such as the museum or modern art, statue of liberty and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember now.

Do you have AAA? I actually found a hotel cheaper in the city than NJ, so be sure to shop around! AAA is nice because of their diamond rating, so I know I booked a decent hotel. :thumbsup2

Also, I just bought the city pass on line. 2 day pass is on sale for $110 and includes several of the items on your itinerary.

We went a few years ago before Christmas and it was so beautiful! We stayed at the Sheraton towers (there are 2 right next to each other) in Times Square. It was a great hotel!

I highly suggest seeing the Rockettes!! That show was incredible! And the best meal we had was at Carnigie (sp?) Deli! Oh. My. Gosh! The best (and most expensive) sandwich I ever had. But it was incredible!!!!

We went a few years ago before Christmas and it was so beautiful! We stayed at the Sheraton towers (there are 2 right next to each other) in Times Square. It was a great hotel!

I highly suggest seeing the Rockettes!! That show was incredible! And the best meal we had was at Carnigie (sp?) Deli! Oh. My. Gosh! The best (and most expensive) sandwich I ever had. But it was incredible!!!!

We're going next weekend, and from prior experience have found that if we order a sandwich at Carnegie TO GO- we don't have to pay the $3 order splitting fee. Their pastrami is to die for, but remember that they take CASH ONLY. Then we go around the corner to EUROPA CAFE and get a soup and a bottle of water and each have 1/2 of the sandwich and we're good to go!

Have a great time!

Just as a FYI, we were going to the city last September and we could not go to the Statue of Liberty because we could not get tickets. On the web site for the New York park service it explains that you have to order them in advance. You can go to the island but not the statue itself. Pedestal tickets are required to enter any level of the Statue of Liberty National Monument including the museum.

Have fun, NYC is a great place to be during the holidays.

There is a site where you can order this card that lets you do A LOT of the popular NY attractions without ressies (although you dont get to go into the Statue :sad1:

DH and I went alone before he deployed for a week. We took the Mega Bus in, had pre-ordered tickets to see The Addams Family on Broadway (LOVED LOVED LOVED IT!) had those passes I just mentioned, did Top of the Rock, Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, walked in Central Park, went to the Museum of Natural History and a few other small museums. Subway passes are cheaper then taking a double decker bus btw. You can get a subway pass for a week for around 20 bucks or so I think. Hit up Serindipty 3 near Bloomingdales for a GREAT treat, the Frozen Hot Chocolate (trust me it's great any time of year!). There is so much to do in NYC you could go for 2 weeks and still not see or do it all.

I have a friend who just went and she stayed at the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel in Weehawken NJ. She had beautiful pictures from her room of the NY skyline. It's cheaper than staying in NY city and it's just a ferry ride away. NY at Christmas time is one of my dream trips...have fun :)

ETA- I've seen City Passes at Costco. For one price you can get into a bunch of different places such as the museum or modern art, statue of liberty and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember now.

I agree with this poster's advice, especially if you are travelling by car ( parking a car at or by a hotel in NYC can be very expensive ) Also, look into Jersey City area for hotels too (Westin, Marriott), very nice area & convenient to Hoboken where there are many good places to eat, etc. Nearby is Liberty Science Center and you could also take Statue Cruises to Statue of Liberty from Liberty State Park ( see links below ) It's a quick and easy trip into NYC from NJ side of Hudson by public transportation too.

http://www.statuecruises.com/

http://www.lsc.org/

Here is city of NY official visitor info site

http://www.nyc.gov/portal/site/nycgov/menuitem.e2a1b26d9be35ff6a62fa24601c789a0/

Have fun planning :goodvibes

Check out www.newyorkpass.com which is different than the citypass. It includes lots of places. If you want a hotel with two beds and a sofa bed check out affinia.com (a few hotels). I stayed at Affinia Manhattan which is across from Madison Square Garden at Penn Station. We had a room with two queen beds and a bathroom plus a separate room with double sofabed, full kitchen and a second full bathroom. I got a good price thru travelzoo.com and sometimes I have found good prices on hotels.com.

How old is your son. If he is fairly young Macy's has an Enchanted Village type place in December. My kids love having breakfast at Ellen's Stardust since they love listening to the singing waitstaff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter